• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst GM in MLB?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting to see how Ray pans out, because I can't remember the last time a guy was pretty bad in the minors and ended up a solid MLB pitcher.

His metrics are solid in MLB though.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His metrics are solid in MLB though.

He was very solid last year. His 2014 time in the majors was about bad as you can get in his 30ish innings.

Not sure if he fixed his mechanics or what, but it was quite the turnaround from his prior professional performance (both minors and majors).

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be interesting to see how Ray pans out, because I can't remember the last time a guy was pretty bad in the minors and ended up a solid MLB pitcher.

Yeah, he wasn't awful… had a career 4.22 ERA in the minors which isn't inspiring but he did strike out nearly a batter per inning. His rough stretch in 2014 in DET's farm system is really what concerned some scouts, because before then he was a top 100 prospect.

He really impressed me last year, love him in the #5 slot. He just needs to work on getting deeper into games.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Melvin was the worst GM in baseball by destroying the Milwaukee Brewers farm system in favor of renting a few All-Star players and overpaying for marginal free agents. The new GM will need 4 years to crawl out of that hole.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he thought Swanson was going to bust, why they hell would he draft him 1st overrall? Come on now. (Yes, I know GMs don't usually make the picks - but that doesn't mean he couldn't tell his team to avoid a player be believed was going to bust). You really think that Stewart drafted Swanson solely with the plan to trade him? Please...

And the Dbacks winning a WS in the next three years? They're still looking like the favorites to win 3rd place in 2016. You need to make the playoffs before you start thinking about winning them.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he thought Swanson was going to bust, why they hell would he draft him 1st overrall?

Because maybe they change their opinions after drafting him? Shocking, I know; ask Dombrowski about Robbie Ray for instance when he traded Doug Fister for the guy. I don't believe it myself, just throwing out possibilities (even if unlikely) for the sake of argument. Shit, I am probably just vehemently opposed to how the D-Backs went about improving their team as anyone pound for pound. I like their position if they could get to the deadline in a position to grab a playoff spot, but that's a matter for another thread.

Really my core contention was about is to wait this out and see how it actually turns out. Do you want to say his prowess as a GM should be put into question? Sure, I'd agree, but this thread is about the WORST GM and I have a hard time believing Stewart's record is up to snuff in that regard based on his tenure.

You really think that Stewart drafted Swanson solely with the plan to trade him? Please...

No...

I am a bit perplexed how you could possibly have come to that conclusion. Or, it's just a strawman argument. Moving on...

And the Dbacks winning a WS in the next three years? They're still looking like the favorites to win 3rd place in 2016. You need to make the playoffs before you start thinking about winning them.

Not impossible. Playoffs certainly aren't out of the question, and if they are as aggressive at the deadline as they were in the offseason, I'd be tempted to even bet on the D-Backs making the playoffs. For that reason alone, I won't dismiss the possibility of a WS ring in the next 3 years, but I have reservations.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is impossible but everything points to Stewart being this winter's AJ Preller, and that's the point. Going "all-in" with a team that probably can't get the job done, whilst simultaneously sabotagin any long-term prayer of sustainability.

It's a win-now club that doesn't look like it's even good enough to win now.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is impossible but everything points to Stewart being this winter's AJ Preller, and that's the point. Going "all-in" with a team that probably can't get the job done, whilst simultaneously ruining any long-term semblance of sustainability.

I am higher on the D-Backs core more than most, so I think Stewart's messy, at best, methods could be bailed out in the short term. But again, we have the real AJ Preller to deal with for instance who even after a disastrous season refused to acknowledge reality at the deadline. When the thread is who is the WORST GM, that's a high (low?) bar to meet. I just don't think Stewart deserves this kind of heat until it actually fails on the field with our own two eyes.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am higher on the D-Backs core more than most, so I think Stewart's messy, at best, methods could be bailed out in the short term. But again, we have the real AJ Preller to deal with for instance who even after a disastrous season refused to acknowledge reality at the deadline. When the thread is who is the WORST GM, that's a high (low?) bar to meet. I just don't think Stewart deserves this kind of heat until it actually fails on the field with our own two eyes.
Preller won some huge redemption points for himself with the Craig Kimbrel trade. Still has a deep hole to dig himself out of, but at least there's that.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing is impossible but everything points to Stewart being this winter's AJ Preller, and that's the point. Going "all-in" with a team that probably can't get the job done, whilst simultaneously sabotagin any long-term prayer of sustainability.

They've got a solid 1-3 in SP if Corbin can stay healthy and a solid 1-3 on offense if Peralta can improve upon his strong 2015. Despite the fact that losing Inciarte for Tomas will obviously hurt the defense, I don't think it'll go from one of the best defenses to one of the worst like the Padres were. I also think the offense will be more consistent than the Padres were. The guys they traded for are also young and have control. I don't know how much I'd trust their BP, but I would expect the Dbacks to at least be in it for a WC spot at the end of the season if not within striking distance of a divisional title. You normally have to give up some assets to turn a team into a contender, that's what they did. I personally think they gave up too much for Miller but they wanted to try and compete during Goldy's prime years so they made the sacrifice to improve their weakness. We'll know soon enough if the moves worked out or if they're pretenders.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've got a solid 1-3 in SP if Corbin can stay healthy and a solid 1-3 on offense if Peralta can improve upon his strong 2015. Despite the fact that losing Inciarte for Tomas will obviously hurt the defense, I don't think it'll go from one of the best defenses to one of the worst like the Padres were. I also think the offense will be more consistent than the Padres were. The guys they traded for are also young and have control. I don't know how much I'd trust their BP, but I would expect the Dbacks to at least be in it for a WC spot at the end of the season if not within striking distance of a divisional title. You normally have to give up some assets to turn a team into a contender, that's what they did. I personally think they gave up too much for Miller but they wanted to try and compete during Goldy's prime years so they made the sacrifice to improve their weakness. We'll know soon enough if the moves worked out or if they're pretenders.
No one is saying they'll be as bad as the Padres hahahaha

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair the D-Backs played below their pythagorean win number by a few games.

Getting Greinke is a solid 5 win add. That alone is getting them closer to 90 wins.

The part that realloy hurts is dealing both Swanson and Enciarte who could've helped the big club.

IMO, the DBacks season is really gonna come down to Tomas and Segura (who SHOULD be the starting 2B next to Ahmed IMO).

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame the Dbacks for trading Trumbo when they did, in fact I think they should've done it sooner given the way things were going, but man it's gotta burn that he's tied for the ML lead in home runs this season.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1