• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst GM in MLB?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stability? D-Backs starters have a 4.46 ERA. The NL league ERA is 3.86. D-Backs have two starters with an ERA+ north of 100, Robbie Ray (104) and Patrick Corbin (106). The bullpen has been their saving grace, and bullpens are generally a crapshoot.

Tomas is batting .290, but it's been a pretty empty .290. And even then, he has a .373 BABIP and crappy plate discipline.
As much as his methods are fingernails on a chalk board for me, and considering I thought they had no business being a 72 win team, let alone .500, I am going to give the guy a pass for this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as his methods are fingernails on a chalk board for me, and considering I thought they had no business being a 72 win team, let alone .500, I am going to give the guy a pass for this year.

I have no problem with that. It's early. I'm just nitpicking. :)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing with the DBacks is me wondering if the problem is Dave Stewart or Tony La Russa. I wonder if La Russa is the one making all the moves and Stewart is just there to make suggestions and take the heat.

TLR is such a twat.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not technically the GM, but Kenny Williams is still team president of the White Sox. He's still living off his 2005 performance, as he hasn't done shit since.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stewart's additions to the team, both in the offseason & during the season, have directly contributed to team's improvement. He added to the rotation & moved out players like Didi & Trumbo.

Wade Miley for Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, and Raymel Flores:

Stats for the pitchers.
Raymel Flores, minors. (really, really bad)

Didi Gregorius for Robbie Ray, Domingo Leyba:

Gregorius, MLB.
Ray, MLB.
Leyba, minors.

Mark Trumbo and Vidal Nuno for Wellington Castillo, Dominic Leone, Gabriel Guererro, and Jack Reinheimer:

Trumbo and Castillo's second half stats.
Vidal Nuno.

Guys in the minors:
Leone, Guererro, Reinheimer.

==================

The way I score it, the Miley trade was a failure. The Gregorius trade looks good. The Trumbo/Castillo trade was fine, but it should've happen in March. Remember Stewart insisting that the team would absolutely not trade for a catcher?

I wonder if De Jon Watson was the one pushing for Webster for De La Rosa.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wade Miley for Allen Webster, Rubby De La Rosa, and Raymel Flores:

Stats for the pitchers.
Raymel Flores, minors. (really, really bad)

Didi Gregorius for Robbie Ray, Domingo Leyba:

Gregorius, MLB.
Ray, MLB.
Leyba, minors.

Mark Trumbo and Vidal Nuno for Wellington Castillo, Dominic Leone, Gabriel Guererro, and Jack Reinheimer:

Trumbo and Castillo's second half stats.
Vidal Nuno.

Guys in the minors:
Leone, Guererro, Reinheimer.

==================

The way I score it, the Miley trade was a failure. The Gregorius trade looks good. The Trumbo/Castillo trade was fine, but it should've happen in March. Remember Stewart insisting that the team would absolutely not trade for a catcher?

I wonder if De Jon Watson was the one pushing for Webster for De La Rosa.
Dave Stewart made those comments about not adding a catcher way back in January. In June the starting catcher tore his ACL. He then aquired Castillo to fill a void.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Stewart made those comments about not adding a catcher way back in January. In June the starting catcher tore his ACL. He then aquired Castillo to fill a void.
Yeah, the point is that he was foolish to draw that line in the sand in the first place.

Diamondbacks catchers:
25th in March/April.
22nd in May.
8th in June. (What happened??)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, they definitely wouldn't have needed a catcher if the 31 year old with fewer than 200 career MLB PAs and virtually no periods of adequacy (let alone success) at any level that they were depending on hadn't gotten hurt.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they definitely wouldn't have needed a catcher if the 31 year old with fewer than 200 career MLB PAs and virtually no periods of adequacy (let alone success) at any level that they were depending on hadn't gotten hurt.
It's almost like Dave Stewart kept getting asked if he was going to trade for a catcher because all the catchers on the team were terrible or something.

:whistle:

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never agreed with what he said. In fact I hated Tuffey Gosewich as a starting catcher option, let alone a major league roster option.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like Dave Stewart kept getting asked if he was going to trade for a catcher because all the catchers on the team were terrible or something.

:whistle:
You have some true hatred for Dave Stewart. Just let the dbacks suck for another year or two before you judge him.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have some true hatred for Dave Stewart. Just let the dbacks suck for another year or two before you judge him.
I think you're just in denial. He's not a good GM, but then that's good for my team.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave Stewart, worse than we thought?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that the Miley trade was a failure.

If Rubby is comparable but millions of dollars cheaper, that's a win IMO.

Had he not giving up way way WAY too much for Miller I doubt we're having this convo.

And let's not forget that the Touki deal probably gave him enough money to make a Greinke move that winter. That has to be factored in.

Now I'm not saying that Stewart is a great GM, far from it. But lets at least give him a fair assessment.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where I come from, you actually have to PERFORM below expectation with the lack of production to be the worst. No D-Backs fan should give a fuck right now, and that's fine. Who knows, maybe Stewart thinks Swanson will bust for instance. Let's see what happens on the field. I really am no fan of Stewart's methods, but he just doesn't have the track record via his teams to support him being the worst.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that the Miley trade was a failure.

If Rubby is comparable but millions of dollars cheaper, that's a win IMO.

Had he not giving up way way WAY too much for Miller I doubt we're having this convo.

And let's not forget that the Touki deal probably gave him enough money to make a Greinke move that winter. That has to be factored in.

Now I'm not saying that Stewart is a great GM, far from it. But lets at least give him a fair assessment.

Yeah, Villian seems biased with his hatred for him, no sense in being fair or bringing up facts.

Castillo for Trumbo was a major win. We also got one of our top 10 prospects along with Castillo in Gabby Guerrero in that deal. The money saved w/Touki/unloading Arroyo cleared the way to sign Greinke. Finding someone to take on Hill's contract and land a younger, better player in Segura in the process allowed us to clear money to sign Clippard as well.

I'm not a fan of giving up Ender in that Miller deal, but I can live with Swanson and Blair. Let's not forgot Miller isn't some RA Dickey (aging SP about to hit FA) he's only 25, has a good track record and has 3 years left of control.

Robbie Ray >>> Didi. I'll also take Rubby over Miley given the salary differences ANY day.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where I come from, you actually have to PERFORM below expectation with the lack of production to be the worst. No D-Backs fan should give a fuck right now, and that's fine. Who knows, maybe Stewart thinks Swanson will bust for instance. Let's see what happens on the field. I really am no fan of Stewart's methods, but he just doesn't have the track record via his teams to support him being the worst.

Exactly. I think some people are confusing the Kevin Towers era with the Dave Stewart era as well. He's come in and cleaned up the mess he received from KT (worst GM in the history of baseball).

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robbie Ray >>> Didi.

Should be interesting to see how Ray pans out, because I can't remember the last time a guy was pretty bad in the minors and ended up a solid MLB pitcher.