• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Free Agent signing by team

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking the worst-ever free-agent signing for all 32 NFL teams

I'll start off with my Seahawks. Matt Flynn was a pretty bad signing but he had almost no impact on the team.

Nate Odomes was signed to come in and be a stud for the team. Blew his knew out his first season and never did shit.

A bunch of other terrible signings during the Erickson era and Ruskel era.

Flynn might have been the worst signing if not for Russell Wilson. But Wilson saved Schneider's bacon.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll start off with my Seahawks. Matt Flynn was a pretty bad signing but he had almost no impact on the team.

Nate Odomes was signed to come in and be a stud for the team. Blew his knew out his first season and never did shit.

Flynn might have been the worst signing if not for Russell Wilson. But Wilson saved Schneider's bacon.
No way was Flynn the worse signing for the Seahawks. They needed someone better then Tjak who was the bridge to that QB. So they signed the best QB on the market and drafted a QB in the third round. No guarantee that any of them work out, but well worth trying to take your best shoot. If no RW and Flynn becomes the next crappy QB, then that's the way it goes. Try again. I felt having Flynn and TJak compete against RW helped him by pushing him to be as good as he could be at the time.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sidney Rice, Zach Miller? Burleson? Housh? Wistrom? Kerney? Duckett?

As for my Eagles, take your pick on the dream team.. lol I'd go Nnamdi.. Though Tim Harris and Stacy Andrews were pitiful too.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any legendary bad FA signing by either Seattle or Philly is by definition one of the best from my point of view.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It has to be the Redskins signing of Albert Haynesworth for 100 mil and a total bust.....
We've had our share of bad signings too, Grbac and Searcy to name a few.
But nothing to get near that debacle.....:doh:

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be the Redskins signing of Albert Haynesworth for 100 mil and a total bust.....
We've had our share of bad signings too, Grbac and Searcy to name a few.
But nothing to get near that debacle.....:doh:

That was bad. I was thinking the Skins had quite a few pretty bad ones. Deion. Bruce Smith, Stubblefield (nearly as bad as Haynesworth), Archualeta, Trotter, Jeff George, Brandon Lloyd, Mark Carrier, Randle El...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joey Galloway & Roy Williams.
Apparently the Cowboys decided that Draft picks meant nothing. I hated both of those moves.

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team prefers to make its big mistakes in the draft and coaching selections. Mario Manningham? Pfft! We can make much bigger mistakes than that.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was bad. I was thinking the Skins had quite a few pretty bad ones. Deion. Bruce Smith, Stubblefield (nearly as bad as Haynesworth), Archualeta, Trotter, Jeff George, Brandon Lloyd, Mark Carrier, Randle El...

True but none got so grossly overpaid and contributed as little....I was shocked he didn't go to jail and get banished from the league for stomping that player in the face with cleats when he was in Tenn....
And they turn around and give him an unheard of contract at that time and still huge today....Worst I can think of ever....

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My team prefers to make its big mistakes in the draft and coaching selections. Mario Manningham? Pfft! We can make much bigger mistakes than that.
True on that.J.T O'Sullivan comes to mind but didn't cost much. Most others who made no impact like Isaac Bruce where all cheap pick-ups. I can't remember the last time the 9ers paid top dollar for a bad FA sign. I know there must be one, anyone see it?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOl... Fred Weary... Or the "next Reggie White", Gabe Wilkins...

Maybe not in terms of money, but what about Lawrence Phillips... Only thing of note he did was miss a block... on Steve Young's career ending concussion.

Johnny Johnson and Antonio Langham were both pretty bad. Or when you gave an ex-Eagle Mark McMillian (loved him in Philly) big money and he was cut halfway through year 1.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good topic. I couldn't think of one for the Steelers that was truly awful until I looked at the article, since they don't sign many free agents as a rule. That center Mahan was bad, but not really a killer. Looking at some of the other multiple horrid signings, I'm glad they just kind of dabble in it a bit.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sidney Rice, Zach Miller? Burleson? Housh? Wistrom? Kerney? Duckett?

As for my Eagles, take your pick on the dream team.. lol I'd go Nnamdi.. Though Tim Harris and Stacy Andrews were pitiful too.

Zach Miller probably doesn't belong in the discussion. He was a great blocking TE for a few years there. Had great hands too, but he was just too damn slow to be a big receiving threat. Sidney had quite a few clutch moments even if he didn't live up to his contract. The rest though...yeah.....lots of questionable shit went on in the late Holmgren years.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zach Miller probably doesn't belong in the discussion. He was a great blocking TE for a few years there. Had great hands too, but he was just too damn slow to be a big receiving threat. Sidney had quite a few clutch moments even if he didn't live up to his contract. The rest though...yeah.....lots of questionable shit went on in the late Holmgren years.

Yeah 6 mil a year at the time was huge... You can get a good blocking TE for cheap, they are out there every year. They were hoping for a guy to add another dimension to their passing game from him.

As for Sidney, lots of injuries ruined him having much effect on the field for them, but heard he was great in the community

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When that Oakland corner signed with Philly I think?

Nsamawaaaaa

Whatever his name is

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh to the Dolphins

what a r*pe job

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fred Smoot for my Vikes.

Although that he had one of the best lines there was that came with him so that was sort of worth the millions of dollars we gave him: "Two-thirds of the world is covered by water. The other third is covered by Fred Smoot."

:pound:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh to the Dolphins

what a r*pe job

Would you trade Chris Ivory + Malik Jackson for Suh?

I sure as hell would. But Jacksonville is essentially paying slightly more money for those two than Miami will pay for Suh.

Suh was still one of the best interior DL in the league last season.

It isn't talked about much because a lot of the talking heads on TV don't realize it but the simple fact is that one of the hardest and most important positions in football to find these days is interior guys that can get pressure.

NFL teams would crap all over themselves trying to give away their money if a guy like Watt or Donald hit FA like Suh did. And it is the same reason that some team is going to take a head case like Nkemdiche probably early than they should. Suh's contract is not that bad when you understand he is one of the few guys in the league that can do what he does and it is something virtually every team in the league is desperate to get.

And as a Packer fan you should realize that those interior guys GET PAID more than most after watching the Packers sign an interior defender not really in the same league as these guys in Daniels to a $12M a year deal.

Last edited:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True on that.J.T O'Sullivan comes to mind but didn't cost much. Most others who made no impact like Isaac Bruce where all cheap pick-ups. I can't remember the last time the 9ers paid top dollar for a bad FA sign. I know there must be one, anyone see it?
Nate Clements