• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Worst Call in Super Bowl History?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the happenings within the game became irrelevant in the last 2 minutes. Officials need to be objective and that holding call was not. In order for that referee to make that call he had to weigh 2 important reasons, 1 did the contact impedes the receiver's performance and if it did was the ball actually a catchable ball?. So he has to say to himself, how much does it affect the outcome of the play?
I think he should have picked up the flag because that ball was not catchable. Replay( and as 1 poster noted showed a loss of maybe 3 steps? ) showed the ball was over 10 yards away and only 1 yard from the OB.
The official clearly changed the course of the game. KC would have gotten a field goal, no doubt but there was 1:48? on the clock and 2-time outs for Philly. The suspense and outcome were still in question, making it the game we expected and most probably one of the greatest but that call took all that away.
If anyone reviews that play and objectively sees its significance, they cannot deny the game was controlled at that point and that the chance for greatness still survived
The not catchable rule isn't used in holding calls.

The only reason I see for them not to call that hold, is they let many more obvious penalties go all game.

It was a hold though.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders clearly caught the ball with both feet on the ground, turned to run, then got popped. Ball comes out, Bolton picks it up and runs it in for his second defensive TD of the game... I see people complaining about a stupid holding call, but this reversal takes the cake.

2007 Patriots say, "hold my beer"

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks and you don't even know the half of it!

Our school was built for 750-800 kids. We have over 1,300. And they just keep building houses around us and no new schools. The two newest schools near us, both less than 4 miles away, have empty class rooms on each grade level hallway but they won't rezone.

And the parents and kids... sweet baby jesus...
So why were you sentenced to California?

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The not catchable rule isn't used in holding calls.

The only reason I see for them not to call that hold, is they let many more obvious penalties go all game.

It was a hold though.
I get all that, and I see the catchable thing too. I don't care that the Chiefs won, I didn't break down, throw a fit, or any of that. I felt cheated that what could have been the greatest game, or even a suspense-filled last 2 minutes were taken away. It;s fine to call during the game ( the outcome is not decided yet and adapting to it is still within reach ) The last 2 minutes with the game tied and knowing that call will end the game, cheats the fan of something that could have been spectacular either way.
The expectation of penalties being called during the game does change positions I get that and maybe if the score was 40-10 I can see that call but the outcome has been decided by the teams at that point whereas officiating determined the finality. That's what bugs me, might not you or anyone else but I see it as the fans lost out.
I had no dog in the fight, it didn't matter, I wanted a great game and prospects of that with these 2 teams could have delivered without outside influence, but it didn't amount to that in my book, just another game, nothing spectacular unlike New England-Seattle Baltimore -Dallas or New York- Buffalo.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get all that, and I see the catchable thing too. I don't care that the Chiefs won, I didn't break down, throw a fit, or any of that. I felt cheated that what could have been the greatest game, or even a suspense-filled last 2 minutes were taken away. It;s fine to call during the game ( the outcome is not decided yet and adapting to it is still within reach ) The last 2 minutes with the game tied and knowing that call will end the game, cheats the fan of something that could have been spectacular either way.
The expectation of penalties being called during the game does change positions I get that and maybe if the score was 40-10 I can see that call but the outcome has been decided by the teams at that point whereas officiating determined the finality. That's what bugs me, might not you or anyone else but I see it as the fans lost out.
I had no dog in the fight, it didn't matter, I wanted a great game and prospects of that with these 2 teams could have delivered without outside influence, but it didn't amount to that in my book, just another game, nothing spectacular unlike New England-Seattle Baltimore -Dallas or New York- Buffalo.
OK, so if they dont call it, doesn't that cheat the Chiefs?

As I've already stated, had they not called it, I wouldn't be up in arms, as they had swallowed whistles all game, but since it was a hold, I'm good.

So what if, they refs called all calls correctly, up until that play, ( for this argument the score and situation is the same) then they don't call that hold, the Chiefs get their FG, and the Eagles go down and score to win.

How is that not cheating the Chiefs? If it weren't a hold, I'd agree with you on the call, but the call was correct.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I've already stated, had they not called it, I wouldn't be up in arms, as they had swallowed whistles all game, but since it was a hold, I'm good.

So what if, they refs called all calls correctly, up until that play, ( for this argument the score and situation is the same) then they don't call that hold, the Chiefs get their FG, and the Eagles go down and score to win.

How is that not cheating the Chiefs? If it weren't a hold, I'd agree with you on the call, but the call was correct.
A no call there in no way cheats the Chiefs. It’s 3rd and 8 and based on the hand in his face Mahomes delivers that ball before he wants to. Even if Bradbury is in a chase position that’s not getting completed because of that ball going to the back half of the end zone. Juju isn’t fast. He isn’t covering that ground. In fact, a TD is a better result for the Eagles than the ticky tack Penalty that was allowed to go on for 58 minutes based upon the standard the game would be called by that officiating crew. If the Chiefs score a TD there, at least the Eagles get the ball back with a chance to tie or win on a 2 pt play.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A no call there in no way cheats the Chiefs. It’s 3rd and 8 and based on the hand in his face Mahomes delivers that ball before he wants to. Even if Bradbury is in a chase position that’s not getting completed because of that ball going to the back half of the end zone. Juju isn’t fast. He isn’t covering that ground. In fact, a TD is a better result for the Eagles than the ticky tack Penalty that was allowed to go on for 58 minutes based upon the standard the game would be called by that officiating crew. If the Chiefs score a TD there, at least the Eagles get the ball back with a chance to tie or win on a 2 pt play.
How does a none called penalty of a hold not cheat the team that was held?

I'll agree a TD there would be better for the Eagles.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The call may have been correct but if it were not called ( the Chiefs were going to score wither a FG or TD ) it would have set up the unknown instead of feeding us the result with 2 minutes of what was expected.
to me, the last 2 minutes would have been edge of seat, instead it was a bathroom break

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The call may have been correct but if it were not called ( the Chiefs were going to score wither a FG or TD ) it would have set up the unknown instead of feeding us the result with 2 minutes of what was expected.
to me, the last 2 minutes would have been edge of seat, instead it was a bathroom break
Now read what you just posted. Then maybe you'll understand why it was thrown.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does a none called penalty of a hold not cheat the team that was held?

I'll agree a TD there would be better for the Eagles.
Because it diverges from the standard established in the prior 58 minutes. My stance is this: pick a lane and be consistent. The Chiefs utilized far more press that day than the Eagles did. If they had this same stance on defensive holding, it likely is to the Eagles benefit over the course of 60 minutes because of the way the Chiefs chose to play press. My major issue here is that in the guts of the game the standard for officiating the game completely changes out of nowhere. Players adapt to the way the game is called. There’s a side by side video going around of similar action earlier in the contest involving Bradbury and Juju. It’s the same action (defensive player grabbing cloth to essentially sling shot them into position) and it wasn’t a call. People have been quick to look at Bradbury’s comments about it being a hold and he tug him. They’ve ignored the close of his quote which essentially said…I thought I would get away with it. Why? Because he’s playing football based on the established way that game is being officiated. Every game in every sport that employs subjective calls is going to have an established pattern for now the crew will interpret things. I have a problem with the timing of when they decided that defensive holding was going to be enforced with that. If they had been consistent with that approach all game I would have nothing to say.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont agree with a lot of what I hear on TV. When I hear in "this" game or in "this" situation they shouldnt have called it.
If they would call it in another game or another situation, then they should absolutely call it in this one. Otherwise dont have the rule at all.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont agree with a lot of what I hear on TV. When I hear in "this" game or in "this" situation they shouldnt have called it.
If they would call it in another game or another situation, then they should absolutely call it in this one. Otherwise dont have the rule at all.
Listen, im down but be consistent. For 58 minutes that’s not a call.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, im down but be consistent. For 58 minutes that’s not a call.
completely agree on wishing Refs were consistent. But thats never been a thing. Unless you of course you listen to Goodell.
A bad call is one that shouldnt have been called. No rule broken.
All 32 teams know that the refs will never be consistent. best way to avoid the inconsistency of refs is dont break the rule.

The argument at hand is. "I cheated in hopes it wouldnt get called." Kind of a weak argument of being cheated.

my point however is. Listening to so called professionals explain how a foul should be called at certain times but not others. That is ludicrous

I would be more upset about missing calls, then actually making them. But furthermore, I dont think a ref should not make a call because one of his colleagues missed one earlier.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
completely agree on wishing Refs were consistent. But thats never been a thing. Unless you of course you listen to Goodell.
A bad call is one that shouldnt have been called. No rule broken.
All 32 teams know that the refs will never be consistent. best way to avoid the inconsistency of refs is dont break the rule.

The argument at hand is. "I cheated in hopes it wouldnt get called." Kind of a weak argument of being cheated.

my point however is. Listening to so called professionals explain how a foul should be called at certain times but not others. That is ludicrous

I would be more upset about missing calls, then actually making them. But furthermore, I dont think a ref should not make a call because one of his colleagues missed one earlier.
Agree on “missed” calls but that’s not what this is. This is a whole standard and mindset the officials set in this game. Defensive holding, illegal contact, offensive holding, pass interference, offensive interference, etc… they came in with a “let them play” standard. It’s mind boggling to see this called in that situation when 58 minutes of football had the game officiated with a different standard. Go watch the replay again. The flag is thrown some 3-4 seconds after the hold when it’s clear it’s incomplete. You can also see Mahomes yapping at a closer official trying to intimidate him into a call. The end zone official is the one that threw the flag.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree on “missed” calls but that’s not what this is. This is a whole standard and mindset the officials set in this game. Defensive holding, illegal contact, offensive holding, pass interference, offensive interference, etc… they came in with a “let them play” standard. It’s mind boggling to see this called in that situation when 58 minutes of football had the game officiated with a different standard. Go watch the replay again. The flag is thrown some 3-4 seconds after the hold when it’s clear it’s incomplete. You can also see Mahomes yapping at a closer official trying to intimidate him into a call. The end zone official is the one that threw the flag.
even using your standard here. Which I would be fine with BTW.
There are automatic calls, no matter how they call a game. There is a hold every play played. They dont call it in certain ways, but will call it every time when they see pulling of a jersey when a defender tries to move away. Same with Defensive holding or PI. No matter how they call a game, when they see a jersey pulled on. They call it.
This very thing happened.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even using your standard here. Which I would be fine with BTW.
There are automatic calls, no matter how they call a game. There is a hold every play played. They dont call it in certain ways, but will call it every time when they see pulling of a jersey when a defender tries to move away. Same with Defensive holding or PI. No matter how they call a game, when they see a jersey pulled on. They call it.
This very thing happened.
I disagree if there is no impact on the play. The wait time becomes big in this instance. The official waited 4 seconds to see the whole thing develop. On the other end, you can see the defensive right end get in the grill of Mahomes and he throws it earlier than he wants. Juju being slllooowww has an impact here. There are two kinds of holds. There’s one that slows a player down and there’s another one that vets use because it looks more natural. It’s kind of like a sling shot that pulls them in closer phase with the WR but doesn’t have much impact on reducing the depth of pattern. Long story short the official sees he’s not catching up to that ball even if he’s totally unencumbered. The difference would be that JuJu would have had more of a step on Bradberry for an incomplete pass. It’s still incomplete. There’s a standard for the game that’s been established. This guy sees the whole thing unfold in the context of a standard established over 58 minutes and he diverts from that. It effectively ended the game.

Does that grab warrant ending the game?

I should also add (I’ve said this before but not in awhile) the best team won. Andy Reid took advantage with his experience and he out coached a young staff. The Chiefs played a number of one score contests over the last two years and they’re built for this moment. The Chiefs line of scrimmage personnel heard for two weeks that they were the weak sister. They turned out a tremendous game and they outplayed the Eagles on the line of scrimmage or at least won stalemates. The Eagles couldn’t do what they normally do with the run game. The Eagles didn’t lose because of that call. They lost a chance to have their QB on his own 25 with around 1:40 and 1 time out needing a FG for a tie or 7 to win (maybe…my fucking defense might give it back if Mahomes has too much time haha). I like that spot for the way Hurts played that night.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree if there is no impact on the play. The wait time becomes big in this instance. The official waited 4 seconds to see the whole thing develop. On the other end, you can see the defensive right end get in the grill of Mahomes and he throws it earlier than he wants. Juju being slllooowww has an impact here. There are two kinds of holds. There’s one that slows a player down and there’s another one that vets use because it looks more natural. It’s kind of like a sling shot that pulls them in closer phase with the WR but doesn’t have much impact on reducing the depth of pattern. Long story short the official sees he’s not catching up to that ball even if he’s totally unencumbered. The difference would be that JuJu would have had more of a step on Bradberry for an incomplete pass. It’s still incomplete. There’s a standard for the game that’s been established. This guy sees the whole thing unfold in the context of a standard established over 58 minutes and he diverts from that. It effectively ended the game.

Does that grab warrant ending the game?

I should also add (I’ve said this before but not in awhile) the best team won. Andy Reid took advantage with his experience and he out coached a young staff. The Chiefs played a number of one score contests over the last two years and they’re built for this moment. The Chiefs line of scrimmage personnel heard for two weeks that they were the weak sister. They turned out a tremendous game and they outplayed the Eagles on the line of scrimmage or at least won stalemates. The Eagles couldn’t do what they normally do with the run game. The Eagles didn’t lose because of that call. They lost a chance to have their QB on his own 25 with around 1:40 and 1 time out needing a FG for a tie or 7 to win (maybe…my fucking defense might give it back if Mahomes has too much time haha). I like that spot for the way Hurts played that night.
1676425397199.png
If a ref sees this. It is called everytime.
I get what you are trying to say. I have been on that side of an argument about if it affected the play or the route, but if you see a replay of this & in that replay. See the jersey pulled. Nothing else to say. It is always called whether it affected a play or not.
Ironically. It is one of the consistent things refs do.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 321340
If a ref sees this. It is called everytime.
I get what you are trying to say. I have been on that side of an argument about if it affected the play or the route, but if you see a replay of this & in that replay. See the jersey pulled. Nothing else to say. It is always called whether it affected a play or not.
Ironically. It is one of the consistent things refs do.
Respect your opinion. At this point, I think we just agree to disagree. I appreciate your point of view.