• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wk 13...vs CLE 2.0

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wk 13 vs CLE 2.0 Recap

HC…B, the result will go down as a W and it keeps the postseason hopes alive. Of course he wins again with his 3rd string QB Hodges, and a host of nonstarters stepping up, but the reality is it was not a well played game…and most likely would not have beaten a team with a winning record. I stopped counting at 8 pre-snap penalties. The one penalty they got that was totally unjust was the unnecessary roughness on Dupree….hard hit, but totally legal. Can’t help but think the previous game a couple a weeks ago influenced that flag. Tomlin’s challenge on the goal line play was spot on. To note that the player has actually controlled the ball sufficiently enough to “down it” was not supported by the video.

DEF…B+, they held the Browns under 300 yds total, had two takeaways, sacked the QB 5 times and had another 3 or 4 TFL…the most important stat…they held the Browns to 13 points. Nearly every player along the front line made a disruptive play in the CLE backfield. Nearly every dropback was an adventure for Mayfield.

OFC…C-, Hodges played a nice game. IMO the INT was more on the WR stopping on the route. The running game was effective, both main ball carriers #38 and #24 had positive moments in the game. The star of the OFC obviously was #13. The TD grab was spectacular. There were just too many self-inflicted 5 yarders to sustain drives contributing to a weak 40% conversion on 3rd down.

ST…B, One bad return, but there were enough strong returns to offset it. Coverage was better than it has been most of the season….kicking game was solid.

Summary

The Steelers even the score with the Browns and continue to hold down the 6th and final playoff seed. With OAK and IND losing, TN surfaces as the tied with PIT at 7-5, but hold the conference record tie-breaker over the Titans. The 6th seed is likely to go down to week 17. Week 14 takes the 6th seed battle on the road. PIT goes back out west to face the Cardinals. TN is @ OAK, and IND heads to Tampa. Pouncey is due back, hopefully Juju is back, but I see no reason why Hodges doesn’t get the ball to start out in AZ.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE Sphincter.

Er, I mean that's pretty clever. Sandy Sphincter. Ever had sand in your sphincter? That's what it's like watching this offense. It's an uncomfortable experience.

Was a big Cain fan coming out and only ever heard positive reviews from Colts camp this year. People were focused on Campbell and the coaching staff kept saying not to sleep on Cain. Really surprised the Colts let him go after such praise. Really happy the Steelers snagged him.

I didn't see this game. At all. Had some family stuff to take care of.

Did Duck earn another shot?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE Sphincter.

Er, I mean that's pretty clever. Sandy Sphincter. Ever had sand in your sphincter? That's what it's like watching this offense. It's an uncomfortable experience.

Was a big Cain fan coming out and only ever heard positive reviews from Colts camp this year. People were focused on Campbell and the coaching staff kept saying not to sleep on Cain. Really surprised the Colts let him go after such praise. Really happy the Steelers snagged him.

Yes. The offense looked better. Play calling was better. Penalties were an issue

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaching... Credit where its due. Tomlin took an emotional bunch of backups to work with him this week, and he buried the drama & ground out a much needed win. Very tall task all things considered (drama & injuries). Team came out somewhat vanilla again, but Fichtner eventually let the Duck sling it and it finally paid off. Really makes me wonder just how much this team has been handicapped by Mason. Still plenty of boneheaded playcalls to be found (wildcat included), but overall a much better gameplan on offense. They got the job done and thats all that mattered. Lots of presnap penalties that need to be cleaned up. Defense had me sweating a lot on a few drives, but overall they clamped down. They tightened up particularly well in the 2nd half and wreaked havoc in critical moments. Hearing in postgame interviews players commenting on Tomlin's 2nd half adjustments for the defense. Browns only generated 96yd total in the 2nd half, 7 first downs, but only 3.8 yds per play. 0-4 on third downs. A

Offense... Gotta give the goons up front some credit. They controlled the LOS for most of the game. Most of the sacks or pressures on Hodges were on the QB, not them. I've been criticizing them constantly this season, but today's game was a good step forward. Duck Hodges & James Washington ignited the downfield passing game. Man that was so refreshing to see. Feels like we've been stuck in offensive purgatory for too long. JW's TD grab was crazy. I can't wait to see JuJu & Conner get back into this offense now that the passing game is revived. Great collective efforts from an assortment of guys today. Snell, TEs, DJ, Cain, etc. Seems like they got a lot more people involved in critical situations to get the chains moving. Loved it. And last but not least... DUCK! Wasn't a polished product by any means, but damn, he was fearless going up against the 6th ranked pass D. The Browns were without both starting safeties so it made sense to finally start slinging it. The INT was a bad play overall, but it did look like DJ gave up on the route even if it was overthrown. Hard to say who was more at fault. Also he's gotta be smarter in 2min football. Take the sack if you have the lead. He certainly has lots to work on, but if he follows the plan he at least gives them a fighting chance and doesn't present the offense with limitations. B+

Defense... Good efforts from the defensive front & secondary. Gap integrity & coverage assignments from the 2nd level (LBers) was pretty atrocious. Need better play from the ILBs. Lots of great splash plays in critical moments. These dudes rose to the occasion many times over. Bud Dupree took advantage of a backup LT, and Watt was the beast he always is. That roughness call on Dupree in the final minutes was bogus. Heyward & Hargrave were wrecking their gaps all game long. Even Alualu had a great game. Buggs was involved a lot, but I didn't see him keep good gap integrity very often. He took on some double teams though. B+

ST... Ups & downs. A mixture of good & bad. That CLE punt that was downed at the 1 was a terrible call. Tomlin should have won that challenge. Good & bad returns, as well as good & bad cover teams. lol. Boz continues his turnaround season. And in the critical moment of the game Berry had a dud punt. Yuck. I'll go with the average grade of C.

Coaching...good pick up on the 2nd half adjustment, especially on the run DEF...I also think they played it too conservative, but getting the FG to go up two possessions took Chubb out of the game plan in the 4th Qtr.

OFC...the OL did a better job...CLE very rarely got any pressure on Hodges when they brought 4. IMO the pick was on the WR...If #18 runs the route, yeah maybe it's a still a bit out of reach, but not the easy pick that it turned out to be...then after making a nice catch for a 1st down, he runs out of bounds stopping the clock.

DEF...good to see Buggs get some snaps, but the DL boys owned the LOS in the passing game...I didn't like taking Alualu out to go with 3 ILBs...they were getting a body on the ILBs and getting to the second level quite a bit in the running game.

ST...They wasted the 1st one, but I thought the positive returns outset the negatives on ST.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I LOVE Sphincter.

Yes he did imo.

The OFC game plan (still only 4 TEs targets), pre-snap penalties, and bad ref call on downing a punt put him and Randy in some tough spots, but overall he played well.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2qbcqvlm79241.jpg