• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Watson gone....

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much improvement do we expect this season on the offensive side of the ball? Do you guys expect a lot with the talent we have?

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's really tough to say.....Unlike 2009 where the team got better each week and finished strong, the 2010 team kept getting worse each week and played their worst football down the stretch, culminating in that shitty performance in the Holiday Bowl.....

My biggest concern is the play of Martinez so much parralled the play of the team.....He started out playing well (and I'm not just talking the OOC cupcakes) and endend the season playing like shit.....Instead of a freshman learning and making progress, he went backwards.....Hopefully most of that is the injuries, but I'm just worried that mentally I saw no development, in fact his decision making became worse......was that because physically he couldn't just tuck the ball and get the fuck out of trouble???

We don't know how the new coaches will be, especially play calling, but I just hope they try to coach to the players talents instead of trying to get the players to play to the style of coaching they want to call. I think that philosophy is much easier on the defensive side of the ball, but offensively you have to work moreso with the talent you have than the talent you wished you had.....

Ok, wow all that rambling to just basically say "um, I don't know".....LOL....:L

......Burkhead for the first string qb.......LOL.....no I haven't given up on Martinez yet......

fumblerooskie1970

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The one thing that this team was missing was something they could hang their hat on. Oh wait, they did have something, Rex in the wildcat. But Watson didn't utilize it when he needed to. I'm sure as FUCK glad Watson and Gilmore are GONE!!!!!!!!!!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is taken from an article on huskers.com and that last sentence tell sme we are going to see improvement. I don't think we'll be where we want to be but I think the ship is turning in the right direction.

I also read somewhere, perhaps this article that Bo wants to incorporate the same philosophy on offense as defense, hense these being his coaching choices.

Right Coaches at the Right Time

In essence, Bo wants Nebraska's offense to be one that compresses the playbook, incorporates more audibles and makes a defense pay for its mistakes. "We want to attack people," he said. "We want to be a little more multiple than we were and really cut the playbook down in such a way that we're good at something."

I think our offense is finally going to have an identity and that identity is going to be smash mouth Big 10 football.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect improvement in basic fundamentals.

Block, catch, pay attention to the snap count, know the play, hold onto the ball, throw the ball away and live another day. However, I have nothing to guarantee there will be improvement there. Just an expectation..

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Block, catch, pay attention to the snap count, know the play, hold onto the ball, throw the ball away and live another day. However, I have nothing to guarantee there will be improvement there. Just an expectation..

^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as JJM will write here....with more passion the basic fundamentals will be improve. If the passion isn't there, i don't expect much.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that our biggest problem last year was the inability or unwillingness to make crucial changes not only through games but through the season as we worked into the tougher end of the schedule.

It is probably safe to say that those adjustments will be made with Beck as the OC.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt about it are you mfeelin better

nolehusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,614.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This. If we can't even get the fundamentals down, how the hell do we expect to win games?!?!

NUance

my lysdexia is actign up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Improvement? Hard question to answer. I'm not even sure what offense we be runnin this year. Same thing?

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well if they run an up tempo offense like the media believes. Nebraska is gonna have to become a discipline team the last few years Nebraska has been a very undiscipline team. I'm not a big fan of this style of offense I feel coaches at times try to get to cute with the play calling and change plays. It cost OU a NC against the Gators a few years back. Penaties cost Nebraska a great deal last year in a few games. That lies with the Head Coach and Pelini needs to become a more discipline coach on the sidelines.

Papalou

disMEMBER
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't be afraid to start over and get a system in place, so the system is consistent throughout," said Beck, 44, Nebraska's running backs coach the past three seasons who was promoted last week to offensive coordinator.

He replaces Shawn Watson.

Beck said he hopes to lead an offense that is disciplined and tough. He said he wants it to be an "attacking" unit that consistently exploits defenses' vulnerabilities.

"We're going to go where they're not," he said.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the interview with Beck, but I didn't think he stated anything besides the obvious. In general I suspect we should see a marked improvement in play calling and some consistency from the linemen and overall sustained drives between the 20's.

Much of last year I felt we lived and died by the big play, which doesn't come too often against a good D. If Martinez can get his head out of his own ass and utilize the other 10 guys on the field with him, we may be able to squeak out some close ones against some quality teams instead of coming within 1 possession. Combine that with smarter play calls and we might have something to look forward to down the stretch.