• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Uncertainty Come Opportunity for the Pacers

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In spite of back-to-back 48-win seasons, I would be skeptical about signing here if I was any NBA free agent, let alone a top tier one.

Literally half our roster in going to hit free agency, and among the guys under contract for next season include an injured Victor Oladipo, a bit of an underachiever in Turner, a tweener PF/center in Sabonis, a project in Aaron Holiday, and a collection of unknown spare parts beyond that.

One things is for sure - With uncertainty comes opportunity, and if we have to spend a year in the lottery then so be it. All Pacers fans could agree that we're much better-equipped to go through this process with Pritchard as GM than Bird, even if we have one poster in particular (one that's not worthy of this attention) that seems to think that because Bird won an executive award back in 2012 that it means he was a "great" GM.

(And FYI he won that particular award coming off a year in which he traded Kawhi Leonard for George Hill.) SMH

What we could do is sign guys to two-year rentals this summer (similar to Collison and Bogdanovic in 2017), and if all goes well then pair Oladipo with Giannis in 2021. :heh:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even if we have one poster in particular (one that's not worthy of this attention) that seems to think that because Bird won an executive award back in 2012 that it means he was a "great" GM.

(And FYI he won that particular award coming off a year in which he traded Kawhi Leonard for George Hill.) SMH

Says a poster isn't worth the attention and then proceeds to give that poster the very attention that he doesn't deserve. SMH

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In spite of back-to-back 48-win seasons, I would be skeptical about signing here if I was any NBA free agent, let alone a top tier one.

Literally half our roster in going to hit free agency, and among the guys under contract for next season include an injured Victor Oladipo, a bit of an underachiever in Turner, a tweener PF/center in Sabonis, a project in Aaron Holiday, and a collection of unknown spare parts beyond that.

One things is for sure - With uncertainty comes opportunity, and if we have to spend a year in the lottery then so be it. All Pacers fans could agree that we're much better-equipped to go through this process with Pritchard as GM than Bird, even if we have one poster in particular (one that's not worthy of this attention) that seems to think that because Bird won an executive award back in 2012 that it means he was a "great" GM.

What we could do is sign guys to two-year rentals this summer (similar to Collison and Bogdanovic in 2017), and if all goes well then pair Oladipo with Giannis in 2021. :heh:
The problem is that the Pacers won't be bad enough to get a good spot in the lottery. Olidipo should be back, Sabonis is pretty solid, and even underachieving Turner is servicable and is good in stretches with potential to be much better if motivated. Since the Pacers play in the East, this is can make the playoffs or only be very low lottery (barring very good luck).

The Pacers are a solid, but not shiny franchise. They need to go for any free agent possiblility that they can. They don't have the lure to wait and say we'll just pass so we can land this better guy next year. The core you have listed would be solid for a top tier superstar to come in as the #1 guy and have them as a supporting cast. But getting a top tier guy to consider Indiana would be difficult.

And there is no way that Giannis is moving from Milwakee to Indiana. He's just starting to cash in with commericals and very likely sees his potential in a bigger market. Just the endorsement money he could make in Chicago or New York versus Indiana would likely push him to go to worse team in a bigger city. Remember, its a business not just the game.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the Pacers won't be bad enough to get a good spot in the lottery. Olidipo should be back, Sabonis is pretty solid, and even underachieving Turner is servicable and is good in stretches with potential to be much better if motivated. Since the Pacers play in the East, this is can make the playoffs or only be very low lottery (barring very good luck).

The Pacers are a solid, but not shiny franchise. They need to go for any free agent possiblility that they can. They don't have the lure to wait and say we'll just pass so we can land this better guy next year. The core you have listed would be solid for a top tier superstar to come in as the #1 guy and have them as a supporting cast. But getting a top tier guy to consider Indiana would be difficult.

And there is no way that Giannis is moving from Milwakee to Indiana. He's just starting to cash in with commericals and very likely sees his potential in a bigger market. Just the endorsement money he could make in Chicago or New York versus Indiana would likely push him to go to worse team in a bigger city. Remember, its a business not just the game.

Agree.

That's the problem for teams that aren't in "destination cities" but are solid, well run franchises. The only way they can get a top tier FA is to draft one, but they're almost never bad enough to draft one.

Even on the rare occasion that they are bad enough, it's hard for them to get the pieces they need to compete before he becomes an FA and leaves.

They almost have to hope for a San Antonio type scenario when The Admiral missed an entire season and they were able to get the draft pick that became Timmy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. I Quite Certain that the Pacers are going to lose and get asswhipped next year and the next and the next and as the result players like Leonard will not be even remotely interested them this summer. SORRY

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard KD wanted to go to the Pacers, but the Pacers told him to fuck off because they don't need him and would rather have Eric Bledsoe and Tobias Harris.

:dhd:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see the built not bought is out the window. Win any way you can.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. I Quite Certain that the Pacers are going to lose and get asswhipped next year and the next and the next and as the result players like Leonard will not be even remotely interested them this summer. SORRY
Wow, you sure do bitter well TLF!

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the plan is to tank, then they would have traded those upcoming FA to accrue assets.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Pacers fans"????? Plural, not singular? There's more than one of you?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember not long ago there was a lot of bloviating about Turner. Yet, I received constant arguments about how he was going to be a multi-time All star. Now he's an underachiever.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad to see the built not bought is out the window. Win any way you can.

OP was notorious for spouting off that same cheesy bull shit. What did the Pacers exactly build?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP was notorious for spouting off that same cheesy bull shit. What did the Pacers exactly build?

A team that's good enough to get to the playoffs in the East every year, but not good enough to ever actually contend? :noidea:

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is that why he refused a role in Space Jam 2? He's probably not going to leave Milwaukee, and to say he's the personality that lets marketability determine his basketball decisions is flat out wrong.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For this quote, I threw away all part I liked and am only quoting on the last, but totally insane part...

Do you really think that Giannis would ever leave the unparalleled support he has find in MIL, the state of the art training facilities (him being "workaholic"), the ability to contend for more, the unparalleled (marketing) promotion he has enjoyed in MIL and come to ...Indiana?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this quote, I threw away all part I liked and am only quoting on the last, but totally insane part...

Do you really think that Giannis would ever leave the unparalleled support he has find in MIL, the state of the art training facilities (him being "workaholic"), the ability to contend for more, the unparalleled (marketing) promotion he has enjoyed in MIL and come to ...Indiana?

No chance he goes to Indiana. Because he’ll be joining the Warriors as a free agent in 2021. Enjoy him while you can.

#futurewarrior

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why give this troll any attention for his teams when he is just an asshole about just about everyone else's team?

The Pacers are going to be an also ran forever. The End.

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No chance he goes to Indiana. Because he’ll be joining the Warriors as a free agent in 2021. Enjoy him while you can.

#futurewarrior
Ohhh... Is he coming to Golden state now? That's more news to me!

Some of you, really think that Giannis would "sell himself" to the "highest bidder"... Well, all one can do is laugh... You don't know Giannis nor you can understand his character... Giannis will end his career with the Bucks and will be a major share holder and "president of Basketball operations" after that... "The writing is on the wall"... mark my words!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that why he refused a role in Space Jam 2? He's probably not going to leave Milwaukee, and to say he's the personality that lets marketability determine his basketball decisions is flat out wrong.

He may never leave Milwaukee. However, if players decide to leave a team/city like Milwaukee, it's almost always to a bigger market, not a parallel move to Indiana.