• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Mike Iupati Signing With The Cardinals

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Long or Lerebius are going to pan out. Both were drafted for their fit in a zone blocking system. IM hoping we are going away from that for the most part. And i agree we are not going to fix every hole in one off season. But let me ask you, if you have five rooms that need to be painted and only two people... does it get done faster and better if you both work on one room at a time, or do you get better results flipping from room to room between the two of you?? We need to finally make a concentrated effort to fix the O-line which SHOULD go a long way towards fixing the offense. Which would go along way towards fixing the team as a whole.

I'm not disagreeing with you on the need. But as i have pointed out before, we have a different talent evaluator now. One that is SUPPOSED to be very good. Most OL starting in the NFL were drafted in later rounds. While we are all gun shy from history, we need to give Scot a chance to pick up some OL in rounds 3-5 that can contribute this year. I'm just a fan of BPA. I think in the long term, that builds a better team. When you reach for need, it becomes risky. A team in our position can't afford to be risky.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not disagreeing with you on the need. But as i have pointed out before, we have a different talent evaluator now. One that is SUPPOSED to be very good. Most OL starting in the NFL were drafted in later rounds. While we are all gun shy from history, we need to give Scot a chance to pick up some OL in rounds 3-5 that can contribute this year. I'm just a fan of BPA. I think in the long term, that builds a better team. When you reach for need, it becomes risky. A team in our position can't afford to be risky.

And I am a firm believer that the term BPA has about as much merit as phrases like in the best interest of the children. Both are terms thrown out to explain away head scratcher moves more often than they are a justification of the actions. Because simply put what you or I think is the best player available at any given time is subject to our own opinion. Now do either of us really think Jamies Winston is the best player in this draft? Yet he is all but assured to go #1 IM all for BPA at a position of need. Because in that case you are likely addressing a need with the best player available. Now obviously you dont take a guy in the 1st round who you think has a 4th round talent grade. BUt if we want to get specific.. i would have no problem taking at 5 a guy who most said would be a top ten pick but likely not a top five. Some might consider it a reach, I would consider it the cost of getting your guy.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I am a firm believer that the term BPA has about as much merit as phrases like in the best interest of the children. Both are terms thrown out to explain away head scratcher moves more often than they are a justification of the actions. Because simply put what you or I think is the best player available at any given time is subject to our own opinion. Now do either of us really think Jamies Winston is the best player in this draft? Yet he is all but assured to go #1 IM all for BPA at a position of need. Because in that case you are likely addressing a need with the best player available. Now obviously you dont take a guy in the 1st round who you think has a 4th round talent grade. BUt if we want to get specific.. i would have no problem taking at 5 a guy who most said would be a top ten pick but likely not a top five. Some might consider it a reach, I would consider it the cost of getting your guy.

Fair enough. But as it pertains to Schreff, IMO only, the guy has issues that concerns me enough to believe that using the 5th pick of the draft on him could be a mistake. First, there are questions if he can even play T in the NFL. SO this may mean he has to learn a new position. Which may mean that he doesnt start for us this year. Second, he under performed at the Combine. Not a death warrant, but a flag. So now I see 2 flags. That's enough for me to say "not at 5".

What we need more that a starting OL with our first pick is a damn near guarantee that a playmaker will pan out. We cannot whiff with this pick.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that sir is the real problem. People are dead set that a top five pick should be a playmaker, an Impact player.

And I say again, the BEST impact we could have on this entire team at the moment is not another pass rusher, not another WR.. but a solid O-line. Period. That will help out the running AND the passing game.

I could care less if we have 4 guys with 10 or more sacks a piece if our offense is only scoring 16 points a game. At the end of the day all that playmaker is going to give us is a warm and fuzzy as he goes to the probowl. I could care less if we had ZERO players in the probowl if we win the division and have a shot at the superbowl.

Until we fix the O-line, we will always be chasing the dragon so to speak.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have misinterpreted what I mean by playmaker. That is any player that routinely beats his man or outperforms at his position. I have no issue taking OL at 5. My issue is taking an OL man who has flags just because we need OL support. That's how you whiff on a 1st round draft pick no matter what the position. See our pick in 2012 as an example that is close to your heart.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have misinterpreted what I mean by playmaker. That is any player that routinely beats his man or outperforms at his position. I have no issue taking OL at 5. My issue is taking an OL man who has flags just because we need OL support. That's how you whiff on a 1st round draft pick no matter what the position. See our pick in 2012 as an example that is close to your heart.

I see where you are going with this. My real beef with 2012 is that griffin was not worth what we gave up to get him and combined with the fact that he has not been worth the concessions we have made around him since. Had we stayed put and gotten him, I would be fine with him. Had we stayed put and taken Tannehill I would have been just as fine.

Now I dont think Schreff or Peat would be a reach at #5 especially considering where we would use either of them. And for the record I am never a fan of using a top five pick on a WR, RB or DB in most instances.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see where you are going with this. My real beef with 2012 is that griffin was not worth what we gave up to get him and combined with the fact that he has not been worth the concessions we have made around him since. Had we stayed put and gotten him, I would be fine with him. Had we stayed put and taken Tannehill I would have been just as fine.

Now I dont think Schreff or Peat would be a reach at #5 especially considering where we would use either of them. And for the record I am never a fan of using a top five pick on a WR, RB or DB in most instances.

Honestly, I've never seen either of these guys play extensively. I can only go by reports I've read from experts that know a shitload more than I do about these guys.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I've never seen either of these guys play extensively. I can only go by reports I've read from experts that know a shitload more than I do about these guys.

Gotcha, but these are the same Exerts in most cases that thought RG3 was worth what we gave up, Jamarcus Russell was one of the most talented players to come out in a long time, and the list goes on.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotcha, but these are the same Exerts in most cases that thought RG3 was worth what we gave up, Jamarcus Russell was one of the most talented players to come out in a long time, and the list goes on.

Probably so. But let's be real. That's what all of us do. With the exception of players that might play for a team we follow closely, most of us only know these prospects via 3rd party analyses.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think Long or Lerebius are going to pan out. Both were drafted for their fit in a zone blocking system. IM hoping we are going away from that for the most part. And i agree we are not going to fix every hole in one off season. But let me ask you, if you have five rooms that need to be painted and only two people... does it get done faster and better if you both work on one room at a time, or do you get better results flipping from room to room between the two of you?? We need to finally make a concentrated effort to fix the O-line which SHOULD go a long way towards fixing the offense. Which would go along way towards fixing the team as a whole.

I agree on LeRebius, not sure on Long. But Long was not a smaller zone blocking OG, he is more of a power guard. Again EVERYONE here wants to improve the OL.

As for your earlier post quoting me as you pointed out that we have not drafted quality OL later in the draft what exactly does that have to do with anything? Just because Vinny couldn't find talent in the 4th round does not mean SM can't. In fact his history shows just the opposite. That's idiotic and no different than claiming SM will go out and sign Suh because a Redskins official once signed Albert Haynesworth. The "it's what we do" mentality is just stupid.

What happened here before has absolutely no bearing on what SM will do or what he should do for that matter.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on LeRebius, not sure on Long. But Long was not a smaller zone blocking OG, he is more of a power guard. Again EVERYONE here wants to improve the OL.

As for your earlier post quoting me as you pointed out that we have not drafted quality OL later in the draft what exactly does that have to do with anything? Just because Vinny couldn't find talent in the 4th round does not mean SM can't. In fact his history shows just the opposite. That's idiotic and no different than claiming SM will go out and sign Suh because a Redskins official once signed Albert Haynesworth. The "it's what we do" mentality is just stupid.

What happened here before has absolutely no bearing on what SM will do or what he should do for that matter.

Until such time as I see SM make these sweeping changes in DC, I will stick with the idea that this is another great hope sell by Dan. Because we have seen this movie before and the only thing that changes is the actors.

Shanahan.. came in as a winning coach, supposed to turn the franchise around, no one said it would be a full 306 and we would still be headed in the same direction.

Gibbs, was supposed to bring back the glory days.... Enhhgg not.

Should be interesting to see, but if we roll out of this off season with the current line and some 3-7th rounders... I will fully expect us to be picking high in the draft in 2016.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until such time as I see SM make these sweeping changes in DC, I will stick with the idea that this is another great hope sell by Dan. Because we have seen this movie before and the only thing that changes is the actors.

Shanahan.. came in as a winning coach, supposed to turn the franchise around, no one said it would be a full 306 and we would still be headed in the same direction.

Gibbs, was supposed to bring back the glory days.... Enhhgg not.

Should be interesting to see, but if we roll out of this off season with the current line and some 3-7th rounders... I will fully expect us to be picking high in the draft in 2016.

Please tell me which one of those guys prior to SM had a reputation as a solid GM? For that matter tell me anyone since Beathard who has that reputation (Casserly made some good moves but a lot of bad ones). Neither Shanahan nor Gibbs were GMs or pseudo-GMs in their previous coaching jobs & I always advocate neither having one person serve both roles nor hiring aging ex-SB coaches.

This move is totally different. You want to paint this move negatively - great - enjoy! I choose to see it totally differently & am extremely excited & believe that the SM hire is the best move by the Redskins since the Gibbs era. Time will tell. Again - you can't judge these moves for at least 2-3 years so anybody complaining about whatever he does or doesn't do over the next 2-3 months is simply a whiner.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to be pessimistic since we've all become snake bit by all the angles that have been tried to 'fix' this franchise since Danny Boy took over. But it's important to remember that things CAN change.

Maybe SM is the next savior of this franchise, maybe he's not. But having a true talent evaluater GM, with a good track record and a consistent stategy, is most definitely a step in the right direction.

I just want to see someone in our FO take a measured approach and strategy towards building this franchise correctly. I like what I've read and heard about SMs approach.

Now I'll sit back and hope he is 'unshackled' to do his thing.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please tell me which one of those guys prior to SM had a reputation as a solid GM? For that matter tell me anyone since Beathard who has that reputation (Casserly made some good moves but a lot of bad ones). Neither Shanahan nor Gibbs were GMs or pseudo-GMs in their previous coaching jobs & I always advocate neither having one person serve both roles nor hiring aging ex-SB coaches.

This move is totally different. You want to paint this move negatively - great - enjoy! I choose to see it totally differently & am extremely excited & believe that the SM hire is the best move by the Redskins since the Gibbs era. Time will tell. Again - you can't judge these moves for at least 2-3 years so anybody complaining about whatever he does or doesn't do over the next 2-3 months is simply a whiner.
Some really excellent points here SoCal.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Socal... SM could be everything he has been made out to be. But as some one else said.. Im to the point where I feel like Charlie Brown with the football. Right now IM not ready to give Lucy (in this case the Redskins) the chance to snatch the ball away at the last second and watch us the fan base once again be flat on our asses.

While i agree that this is the first truly smart move Dan has made since owning the team, Im going to also contain my enthusiasm a bit. After all, Dan is good at two things, selling hope to the fanbase, and making alot of money selling hope to the fanbase. So yea Im a bit snake bit. And yes it irks me a little to see the same people who were SCREAMING we need to fix the line now saying... well maybe we should take the pass rusher because the best OT is only rated to go in the bottom half of the top ten and we have the 5th pick after all. I just dont want to see us making the same excuses a year from now AND in the search for a QB to boot. Because honestly if we cant make one of these QB at least serviceable, I think we will remain stuck in our perpetual loop of the last 20 years.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should pick the BPA at a position of need . if value isnt there for any of our needs then we should trade down of pick the BPA

drafting strictly for need has been a disaster for us

i have no issue at all on drafting scherf either as a RG or a RT . i believe he will be a good RT but i believe he can be a great OG

as for his combine he got hurt and couldnt finish so be that as it may

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things I have noticed:

Posters keep stealing my line about Lucy pulling the ball out at the last second. Give me a break guys, I rightfully stole it from sports talk radio and as far as SH is concerned I own the patent.

Dad believes we should draft the BPA even if it's a guard. I think I've read him saying that a time or 2.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes DGF you are right . we need one so take one if he is the BPA at a position of need . i dont care about the label

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes DGF you are right . we need one so take one if he is the BPA at a position of need . i dont care about the label

Some body mark the calendar.. .Skinsdad and I agree again.. that makes like three times.... in 12 years. LOL

4 more times and we both get a free Redskins Beer Coozie. :)

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some body mark the calendar.. .Skinsdad and I agree again.. that makes like three times.... in 12 years. LOL

4 more times and we both get a free Redskins Beer Coozie. :)

yeah who would have thunk it ?