• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

With Mike Iupati Signing With The Cardinals

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didnt know Morris played on the line. LOL

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt know Morris played on the line. LOL
I know...once I reread your post, I tried to delete. Oh well. Maybe Morris should play the line?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we assume that long and morgan arent the future . we could be wrong

also , we have only one thing we can offer good o/lineman in FA and that is money and guys like iaupati and bulaga are going to play for contending teams

as for the draft i have no issue with an o/lineman being taken at 5 none at all and if scherf is considered the BPA then why not take him ?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is the BPA, then absolutely take him. I just don't think he will be.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that hurts.

Wasnt meant to be hurtful. Just pointing out that no matter WHO we draft, if we pick at five...

1/3 of us will be ecstatic and proclaiming greatness for our newest redskin

1/3 of us will proclaim it a royal fuckup and wonder if some one had spiked Scoti's draft day coffee

and the final 1/3 will take a wait and see approach.

Come September 80% will have come around to the pick, and the other 20% will watch every game and point out every mistake made by said named rookie while calling every good play luck or sheer stupidity on the part of the other team.

And demms da rulz we live under as cyber GM's.

insanity_laughter_statue.jpg

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. So who was the last guy we drafted not in the first round that has or is currently starting on our line that you dont want replaced??

I'll wait.

You do realize that the vast majority of OL starting in the NFL were drafted after round 1 right? Because we don't appear to have good ones means nothing, there are 31 other teams in the league and the vast majority of them have found talent after round 1.

Come on Shark, come with more game than this argument.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BEcause if you listen to the logic bantered around in here, we should easily be able to find a starting caliber RT in the 2nd or even 3rd round of this years draft after all. So why pay for a known quantity when we can get a starter on the cheap most likely.

I'm not going to spend a lot of time researching the obvious but I did pull up one link from 2010.

Starting right tackles for every NFL team:

1st round: 8
2nd round: 6
Rounds 3-7: 13
Undrafted: 5

So if you are keeping score at home 24 of the 32 teams had a starting RT drafted outside of the 1st round

Of the 2010 playoff teams only 2 of the 12 had a RT drafted in the first round.

Where the NFLs Starting Offensive Linemen Were Drafted | Steelers Lounge

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize that the vast majority of OL starting in the NFL were drafted after round 1 right? Because we don't appear to have good ones means nothing, there are 31 other teams in the league and the vast majority of them have found talent after round 1.

Come on Shark, come with more game than this argument.

The vast majority of teams are not the Redskins. Face it dude, we have sucked at finding O-line players outside the first round for a very very very long time. We have taken no less than six olineman over the past 3 drafts... and exactly ZERO of them have actually turned into reliable starters. Compton got in only because Polumbus was sucking so bad. Some time when you have not been able to get it done with the generic, you got to spend the capitol to get the real thing. I think we are at that point where we need to invest a little high capitol into the O-line.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When in doubt, use the because we are the redskins card

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vast majority of teams are not the Redskins. Face it dude, we have sucked at finding O-line players outside the first round for a very very very long time. We have taken no less than six olineman over the past 3 drafts... and exactly ZERO of them have actually turned into reliable starters. Compton got in only because Polumbus was sucking so bad. Some time when you have not been able to get it done with the generic, you got to spend the capitol to get the real thing. I think we are at that point where we need to invest a little high capitol into the O-line.
But what happens when there isn't a player at these positions that warrants the 5th pick? Do you suggest we reach? I know you like schreff. But the dude has questions. IN a trade back scenario where we are picking after 10 or so, I'm fine with the guy. But there will just be better/more complete players available to us at 5 that have a better chance of making an impact (IMO).

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When in doubt, use the because we are the redskins card

How about when you have been doing it the same way for years and it hasnt worked, its time to try something a little different. The highest draft pick we have used on a lineman since we drafted Trent has been a 3rd. So far none of these guys has turned into anything more than a backup. Now unless I missed something we need a couple of STARTERS on our O-line. So maybe, just maybe it would be smart to I dont know draft lineman a bit sooner than rounds 3-7 at this point.

Side note, as disheartening as it is to admit this right now... Dallas has the best line in the Division if not the entire conference.. On that line they have 3 first round picks, they invested in the line and it paid off for them.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what happens when there isn't a player at these positions that warrants the 5th pick? Do you suggest we reach? I know you like schreff. But the dude has questions. IN a trade back scenario where we are picking after 10 or so, I'm fine with the guy. But there will just be better/more complete players available to us at 5 that have a better chance of making an impact (IMO).

OK let me ask, what Impact is another WR going to have if we are still looking at our QB (whom ever that may be) constantly on his butt or running for his life?? What impact ill another pass rusher have if our offense cant run or pass the ball?? Eventually we have got to actually score some points to win games. Now Rumor has it we might take Mariota if he is there?? I really hope this is a smoke screen because the last thing we need is to ruin yet another young QB behind a line made up of cast offs and 3-7th rounder with "potential".

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK let me ask, what Impact is another WR going to have if we are still looking at our QB (whom ever that may be) constantly on his butt or running for his life?? What impact ill another pass rusher have if our offense cant run or pass the ball?? Eventually we have got to actually score some points to win games. Now Rumor has it we might take Mariota if he is there?? I really hope this is a smoke screen because the last thing we need is to ruin yet another young QB behind a line made up of cast offs and 3-7th rounder with "potential".

I get that. The question is, with this draft rife with talented OTs, can we still pick up a starter with our 2nd round pick? It is my understanding that there are 5-6 OTs with potential 1st round grades. I can't believe all of them will go it the first round. As for the WR question, well you can never have enough (just like OLBs). Especially if White is there. He fulfills that big, fast WR that can make a difference in the Red Zone we have been looking at for years.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that. The question is, with this draft rife with talented OTs, can we still pick up a starter with our 2nd round pick? It is my understanding that there are 5-6 OTs with potential 1st round grades. I can't believe all of them will go it the first round. As for the WR question, well you can never have enough (just like OLBs). Especially if White is there. He fulfills that big, fast WR that can make a difference in the Red Zone we have been looking at for years.

Sure we could. But last time I checked we needed a starting RT AND a starting RG ( that 2nd round pick you were just talking about). And again if White is there and we grab him, how useful will he be if RG3 or Cousins are laying on the ground with Tom Compton helping them up yet again??

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that we can produce a starting G with our current roster. Long and LeRebius need a shot. T has to be replaced. We are not going to fix every hole this year. And as you so adroitly pointed out all season long, most of the times that RG3 was on his back was his doing.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to believe that we can produce a starting G with our current roster. Long and LeRebius need a shot. T has to be replaced. We are not going to fix every hole this year. And as you so adroitly pointed out all season long, most of the times that RG3 was on his back was his doing.

I dont think Long or Lerebius are going to pan out. Both were drafted for their fit in a zone blocking system. IM hoping we are going away from that for the most part. And i agree we are not going to fix every hole in one off season. But let me ask you, if you have five rooms that need to be painted and only two people... does it get done faster and better if you both work on one room at a time, or do you get better results flipping from room to room between the two of you?? We need to finally make a concentrated effort to fix the O-line which SHOULD go a long way towards fixing the offense. Which would go along way towards fixing the team as a whole.