• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wishing you all a safe and productive "The Dream is Over" week

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only unique for college football fans in that it can come in any week of the season, annual "The Dream is Over" Week is upon us. It's the week where you realize there is no fucking way your team is going to win the national championship (Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup... NBA trophy thing? WWE belt?) this season. It’s the time of year that you finally accept that Carl Crawford is the 2nd worst free agent signing of the year (1st goes to the White Sox and Adam Dunn… his dollars to production ratio looks worse than the Greek debt relief package). It’s when you realize that LeBron James is more of an “entertainer” than an actually basketball player. It's when you realize you are a Capitals fan and this IS what you do - lose dramatically and completely.

For college football fans, however, it's by far the most shocking and catastrophic end as it can come at literally ANY time. Whether it be in week 1, where you lose a high-profile out-of-conference game, or in the 4th quarter of the national championship game, TDO week is just one key injury, one ridiculous turnover or one uninspired, flat performance away... and it is the most heart-breaking time of year. It's the requiem for all of those lofty, most certainly unrealistic, hopes and dreams that you've had since the bitterness and regret of last season faded. It's the dropped ice cream cone, it's the painful ending of a relationship, it's the passing of a beloved pet... IT. SUCKS. It's a nine, ten, eleven or twelve month sentence of depression, second-guessing and pretending to care about other sports. Nothing can help you get over "the loss"... except time.

But… TDO week can also be a time of great renewal, productivity and even salvation. If I look back on all of the TDO weeks in my lifetime, I can honestly see improvement everywhere within myself outside of the category of "VT football fanaticism." From school and business work to familial and romantic relationships, TDO week is the annual reminder that you've been ignoring your own life for the sake of following your favorite team in every waking moment since week 1. In 1999/2000, it took losing the national championship for me to realize that the girl I was with wasn't Aphrodite and Athena come to earth... she was actually kind of a skank from New Orleans who would do anything you asked for a $2 necklace of Mardi Gras beads. In 2000/2001 the loss to Miami made me stop and realize I was failing ALL of my classes (from willful avoidance of attending said classes) and I was risking academic probation. TDO week helped me turn those F's into very respectable and hard-earned C-'s and D's.

The point is, TDO week is a chance to get back to what truly matters in your life. Most of us will realize this on a more subconscious level. For instance, if you're reading this for the first time and it's Thursday, you've already rededicated yourself to school/business work and I'm sure you're feeling better for it. Others might feel a sense of freedom, or a releasing of tension that you didn't know you had. The anxiety of the games before TDO week has been washed away, and now the rest of the season and the rest of your life can be taken for what it is and not what you wish it to be. It's that actualization of that profound Fight Club quote - "It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to accomplish anything."

I know it's hard. I'm there too. Our fevered support of all things Hokies made all of the preseason hype feel like dogmatic truth. We read that Logan Thomas was going to make us forget the name Tyrod Taylor and visions of sugar plums and Vick '99 danced in our heads. We watched David Wilson do 30 back-flips in a row while making a wedding cake and we booked flights to New York to see his Heisman ceremony. We watched Bud Foster cut down a redwood tree with a stare and we already feared the annual postseason dog and pony show entitled "what HC interview will Foster blow HARD this year?".

We were all there together on Saturday at 6pm, sharing the dream… … … and we were all there when it ended, shivering, cold and heart-broken. It was the dead of night, and the dawn seemed ten months away.

But today the rain has stopped (eh, figuratively… it’s a crappy day in DC). We are looking around and taking stock of our lives and assessing the REAL damage that has been done this past week... and we realize we have so much more to live for. It was an out-of-division loss, so the road to the ACC title game is still passable. The Redskins won. The Caps begin their season this weekend... or whatever bullshit other teams you like are doing something somewhat good… maybe. Life moves on. And so must we.

And so, I am wishing you all a very productive and safe TDO week. Make the most of it… and Let’s Go Hokies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is the year for the Caps!!!

They got some grit, and defensive help, and a solid vet goalie, yeah this has to be the year, hell it's almost a guarantee! Maybe even an undefeated regular season!!!

...I'm not doing this right am I....

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is the year for the Caps!!!

They got some grit, and defensive help, and a solid vet goalie, yeah this has to be the year, hell it's almost a guarantee! Maybe even an undefeated regular season!!!

...I'm not doing this right am I....

The President's Trophy is harder to earn anyways...

Right?

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hi. Well. I can cheer for Nebraska volleyball now. :L

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. One positive for me...

Each year TDO week comes, I get a less and less bitter about "x" loss for I expect a little less from the team/coaches.

Well hell...that sounded pretty bitter as well didn't it??

Ok nevermind, I am still !$%!$ bitter.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol...great post 200proof

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, my TDO week was after the Arkansas St. game.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One silver lining, I would rather get beat handily as we did than have it come down to a missed field goal or something that is keeping us from a BCS/NC game in the unlikely chance we can totally right this ship.

I still burn over the BC loss.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One silver lining, I would rather get beat handily as we did than have it come down to a missed field goal or something that is keeping us from a BCS/NC game in the unlikely chance we can totally right this ship.

I still burn over the BC loss.

I personally would rather be heart broken than embarrassed.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally would rather be heart broken than embarrassed.

True. I don't mind losing to teams that are better than we are, but you're right, Clemson isn't a team that should EVER be 20 points better than we are, especially at home. And not getting in the endzone is inexcusable

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Great Post!

I was never expecting this team to win a national title. Yes, the schedule made it look like a possibility, but we were a dark horse at best. Too many questions coming in to the season, that honestly have been answered with "not yet" or "not enough". I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the changes on offense. I have not been, but that's ok.

There are plenty of things to play for. An ACC Championship, 10 wins, a BCS birth are all still possible. We can still enjoy the games, the atmsphere in Blacksburg, and hopefully some much needed improvement from the team. Worse case, Tech ends up in a bowl we haven't visited in a while.

The game sucked Saturday, but we all need to move on.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't expecting a NC but each season that is the ultimate goal so it is rough when it happens and how it happened was the worst part. Beating up Miami will make a lot of things better for me though.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't expecting a NC but each season that is the ultimate goal so it is rough when it happens and how it happened was the worst part. Beating up Miami will make a lot of things better for me though.

the only problem is if we win out from here...then we're stuck thinking about what might have been had we not shit the bed against clemson...

much like BC '07

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only problem is if we win out from here...then we're stuck thinking about what might have been had we not shit the bed against clemson...

much like BC '07

A trip to the NCG in 2007 would have been a tough pill to swallow though, had we have gotten into the title game over an LSU team that had raped and pillaged us, earlier in the season.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A trip to the NCG in 2007 would have been a tough pill to swallow though, had we have gotten into the title game over an LSU team that had raped and pillaged us, earlier in the season.

true...but if it had come down to that...i guess they should have just won more games :)

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true...but if it had come down to that...i guess they should have just won more games :)

Yeah, Hokie200Proof and i talked about this after that season. The consensus was, let's win our first one no matter what the circumstances are, and we can argue the worth and merit of the ones after that.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok... I love you guys and all...

BUT YOU'RE RUINING TDO WEEK!!!

"... run the table...", "... wondering what could have been...", "Winning"... WTF? We should be wallowing in self-pity... or work... or family obligations. These phrases sound like we have hope, and there's NO room for them in TDO week. Such ideas should be purged from your mind to allow a re-balancing of the chi.

The only scenarios in which these phrases/hope will be allowed to be reintroduced during the 2011 season -

1. Every team in the top-25 loses once... in most cases, twice.
  2. We've won another game... the "run the table" scenario rarely happens. We haven't run many tables... ever (2010 being one somewhat notable and false example... yea, we ran the ACC table, but hard to say we really "ran the table" when we got Knocked-the-fuck-Out in the Bowl game)
  3. The entire O-coaching staff is fired
  4. Bud Foster starts coaching D AND O, hires Chuck Norris to call plays
  5. Time travel is invented

Until a combination of three of the above events come to pass, please just enjoy TDO week. Thinking otherwise is like "The Dream just got kicked REALLY hard in balls, but might still be able to walk" Week or "The Dream is organizing a desperate 'Occupy the BCS' protest" Week or "The Dream and I are too drunk to remember last week" Week.

Your observation of these important guidelines is appreciated.