• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Winchester SX2

amszete

STRIKE FIRST|STRIKE HARD.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone own this shotgun and what kind of results have you had. I heard there is a problem with it jamming up but several dealers claim this issue has been fixed.

Thoughts?

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea don't get me wrong. I have my fair share of old guns and they are solid. However, when it comes to duck hunting, it's nice to have something that is light weight and can unload fast. So for the money I had heard the SX2 or SX3 were pretty decent since Winchester cleared up the gun jamming part.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one can't stand s/a shotguns they constantly need to be kept clean and I don't mean spray it down with gun scrubber and oil. People who do that are just dumbasses. They need to be broke down and cleaned properly. For duck and goose hunting I choose a H&K Fabarm Classic lion double trigger sxs with handloads of 1 1/8 of hevi shot in 6 shot running 1250 FPS no problem killing duck or big geese out to 50 yards.

But if you must have an auto the Browning Maxus is the only way to go. Anybody and I mean anybody can break them down and clean them properly they are the simplest I've seen in a long time better then the overrated Benelli. Don't buy a SX3 buy the Maxus you will be pleased.

amszete

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently I own a Browning BPS and an old Winchester 1300. Both being bump work just fine for me for activities such as deer hunting - especially the BPS. I have taken down alot of deer down in my time with that gun and swear buy it. It is also very easy to clean and it is also sprayed with durapaint so it is very easy to keep up with.

My biggest question was that most of my friends use automatics for duck / goose hunting and with me being new to the scene my BPS seemed a little cumbersome and I felt like I could be getting more shots out with an automatic. I have a 24 inch barrel and was shooting Winchester / Remington 3 inch #2s and #4s and wasn't hitting anything outside of 35 yards or so. Should I be hitting geese out to 40 yards or so with that gun?

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Currently I own a Browning BPS and an old Winchester 1300. Both being bump work just fine for me for activities such as deer hunting - especially the BPS. I have taken down alot of deer down in my time with that gun and swear buy it. It is also very easy to clean and it is also sprayed with durapaint so it is very easy to keep up with.

My biggest question was that most of my friends use automatics for duck / goose hunting and with me being new to the scene my BPS seemed a little cumbersome and I felt like I could be getting more shots out with an automatic. I have a 24 inch barrel and was shooting Winchester / Remington 3 inch #2s and #4s and wasn't hitting anything outside of 35 yards or so. Should I be hitting geese out to 40 yards or so with that gun?

Amszete getting more shots out there isn't gonna bring down birds. Picking out a bird moving the barrel and getting them out in front and follow through is what brings a bird down. I've owned s/a, pumps, o/u, and sxs shotguns I don't like autoloaders up here in South Dakota hunting waterfowl when I do auto's even the well maintained ones are slow or even sometimes single shots due to the cold. I prefer sxs, or o/u for hunting my shotguns only need to do two things go boom boom.

I always pattern my guns on paper with new loads or with a new gun. It lets me know if I'll get a good pattern with no holes in it. It also allows me to know if the gun shoots high/low/left/right. I'll pattern guns from 20 yards to 50 yards. The next thing I do is from April through August I'm out shooting twice to three times a week at my local skeet and sporting clays club. I put 200 to 300 rounds through my shotguns. I also handload everything I shoot and I keep all my handloads around 1200 to 1250 FPS so my lead times don't change. This allows me to put more birds in bag.