• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wimbush as Starter

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if i had my druthers ... kizer would stay another year with wimbush as the number 2 guy who gets a decent amount of playing time. then wimbush starts (assuming he lives up to his billing) the following year. kizer is a great looking qb and i am in no hurry to get rid of him (like some others). true, he MAY be gone .... but i hope he stays.
Im a Big Kizer fan and I hope he does well in the NFL. ND can really use a good QB in the NFL.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kizer needs this bye week to clear his head and come back and just play football. This kid has been through the ringer. A defense that could not stop shit and the offense was putting up huge numbers. Then a hurricane and your head coach has you tossing around a wet, water logged football in heavy winds. Then last week with an OL who could not pass block to save their lives. This kid has way to much pressure on him, and it is coming from all areas, esp the HC. BK is a complete mess this year, he just does not get it, he really dsnt. They need to run more (OL) looked good doing that last week. Maybe use the TE who are wide open all the time and take the pressure off of him to have to throw 80 yards bombs for TD's. This season is lost. Mess with your OL and see what wants to play and where. Get the young kids in on defense and see what you have.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok I can understand that. How I look at it this season is done. Playing Kizer does nothing for ND. We aren't making a bowl game so why not play Wimbush. See what we have. We will still have him for 2-3 years. Im about the future. Season is done.

Playing Wimbush is dumb. Why waste a whole seasons worth of games for 5 meaningless games this season?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing Wimbush is dumb. Why waste a whole seasons worth of games for 5 meaningless games this season?
Because He will only be here for 2 years no matter what. When was the last time ND had a starting QB for more then 3 years. So why not get some games in now see what we have and then he has 2 years to play as the starter. I understand keeping the redshirt but people forget its 2016 and QBs leave after 2 years of starting if they are a top talent.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played in the UMass game, and I think one other. He definitely did not burn his redshirt before this year. Kelly sat him down and told him he was doing it this year to preserve his last 3 years, knowing he had a logjam at starter with Zaire and Kizer.

This is his redshirt year. He used a year of eligibility by playing a handful of plays last year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is his redshirt year. He used a year of eligibility by playing a handful of plays last year.
I understand that but I think u guys are confused. Having him for 1 extra year doesnt matter. Most QBs leave after 2 years(if they are good). So keeping a redshirt in my opinion isnt a big deal. In my eyes he will only get 2 years in anyways. Perfect Example Kizer. He will leave after this year. 2 years as the starter.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey guys. Tough luck on the season.
But to your point Irish7478. Isn't it the first year you're allowed to "redshirt" ? You can chose to not play a kid so he can develop a little especially if your'e not in need at his particular position. But if you play him his true freshman year doesn't the eligibility clock still roll on even if you dont play him a down the next year? Wouldn't it take a medical redshirt for him not to burn another year? So if you played Winbush last year and burned his redshirt year I don't think you save anything by not playing him this year. He's got five years to play four years (per NCAA) so he's on the clock for this year even if you don't play him.
I could be wrong but that's what I've always understood. Can you redshirt a kid his second or third year after he played his freshman year?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys. Tough luck on the season.
But to your point Irish7478. Isn't it the first year you're allowed to "redshirt" ? You can chose to not play a kid so he can develop a little especially if your'e not in need at his particular position. But if you play him his true freshman year doesn't the eligibility clock still roll on even if you dont play him a down the next year? Wouldn't it take a medical redshirt for him not to burn another year? So if you played Winbush last year and burned his redshirt year I don't think you save anything by not playing him this year. He's got five years to play four years (per NCAA) so he's on the clock for this year even if you don't play him.
I could be wrong but that's what I've always understood. Can you redshirt a kid his second or third year after he played his freshman year?

You get five years to use four years of eligibility. You can redshirt any of your four years. Most do it as a freshman, but it can be used in the case of an injury or a suspension or any other reason during their sophomore junior or senior year. You can get a sixth year, but that is rare, and it must be due to two years off for injury. If you sit out your freshman year, play your sophomore and junior year, get injured as a senior, you will get only a fifth year, not the sixth.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get five years to use four years of eligibility. You can redshirt any of your four years. Most do it as a freshman, but it can be used in the case of an injury or a suspension or any other reason during their sophomore junior or senior year. You can get a sixth year, but that is rare, and it must be due to two years off for injury. If you sit out your freshman year, play your sophomore and junior year, get injured as a senior, you will get only a fifth year, not the sixth.

Ok thanks, I guess it not often a player plays his freshman year then is sat down (not because of injury) for his soph year and comes back as redshirt Soph. How does this work at Notre Dame with the way they "don't redshirt"? He's a JR in school but a soph on the team?

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok thanks, I guess it not often a player plays his freshman year then is sat down (not because of injury) for his soph year and comes back as redshirt Soph. How does this work at Notre Dame with the way they "don't redshirt"? He's a JR in school but a soph on the team?

They still have to graduate before they get to stick around for the fifth year. So basically any player that takes their fifth year at ND could also transfer to any other school and play their fifth year somewhere else.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sit a top 10 pick in the draft who has no off field problems. I can't think of anything that would hurt the program more