• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Willie Taggart OREGON DUCKS HEAD COACH

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure that really is the case. Oregon's O-Line wasn't amazing in 2009 or 2010. In fact, I remember Oregon fans complaining about Chip's stubbornness because of his commitments to the power running game. I think the line next year has the potential to be better than the line in 2009 or 2010. The problem was Helfrich wasn't committed to a power running game and wanted to evolve the offense into more of a passing offense. This wasn't a huge problem when Mariota was walking through the doors but that's no longer the case.

I think far too many people bought into the misnomer of Oregon as a finesse team because Oregon runs a spread offense and has a lot of speed players. Taggart even said that he remembers how physical Oregon was when he coached at Stanford. I don't think transitioning into Taggart's system will be much of a concern. The concern is around recruiting, building a staff and rebuilding the defense.
I don't think Oregon was just speed, but one of two things will be true to differing extent: He fully adapts to running a very similar style to what these kids were actually recruited to play, or he attempts to take these kids and adopt them into his systems or a hybrid of what he's ran before and what they have already been trained to do.

Either/both will have some kind of learning curve. Most coaches bring their brand in and teach what they know. Much bigger learning curve typically for the offense which requires tons and tons of reps to get sharp. Honestly I'm not sure any changes on defense could help but be better than where they were at even if some take time to adapt.

Choice of OC and scheme will be quite interesting. I'll still wait for the end of spring to evaluate how long it feels like it might take to get back up to a 10 win + type team again.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget you can run power out of the spread. Oregon used to do this a lot between 2007-2012. All the spread does is change the formation.

It can, but there's more to it than just changing the formation. It's about having the personnel to run it that way. Oregon didn't run much power out of the spread because that's not the personnel they had, especially on the o-line. Oregon's advantage was the overall speed they had, not the size and power they had.

If Taggart can keep recruiting the kind of skill players that Oregon has been getting for the past 10 or so years and get bigger, stronger o-linemen, you'll likely see them go to a true mix of power football and the spread offense. If they do it right, they'll be right back in the mix again.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys.....Taggart use to run the power offense like Stanford, realized at USF he had different athletes and the spread option worked better for them, so he changed his philosophy to the spread option. He also wasn't winning when he tried the power offense.

What does this tell you? The guy is a coach and adapts to what fits his players best. Rather then trying to turn a finesse athletic spread team into a power I run team he molds his coaching to whatever works best for his roster.

Expect Oregon's offense to remain much the same.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taggart is targeting Charlie Strong for DC.

H.O.L.Y S.H.I.T!!

If that happens, your defense is likely to improve fairly quickly. They'll need to get better players, but he'll improve the scheme and probably some of the tackling issues right away. This would be a huge get for the Ducks.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It can, but there's more to it than just changing the formation. It's about having the personnel to run it that way. Oregon didn't run much power out of the spread because that's not the personnel they had, especially on the o-line. Oregon's advantage was the overall speed they had, not the size and power they had.

If Taggart can keep recruiting the kind of skill players that Oregon has been getting for the past 10 or so years and get bigger, stronger o-linemen, you'll likely see them go to a true mix of power football and the spread offense. If they do it right, they'll be right back in the mix again.

Again, this is a misconception because of the speed players Oregon had/has. Oregon ran a lot of power under Kelly. Go back and watch the games. They may have done it out of a spread formation but they ran a lot of power running plays. You don't have to be in an I formation with 2 TEs to run power.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, this is a misconception because of the speed players Oregon had/has. Oregon ran a lot of power under Kelly. Go back and watch the games. They may have done it out of a spread formation but they ran a lot of power running plays. You don't have to be in an I formation with 2 TEs to run power.
Great post.

Chip had beasts at the O-Line and Oregon ran a form of the uptempo spread but power run game. Oregon currently has talented O-Linemen they are just all freshman.

But absolutely, Oregon was a run first team that would punch you in the mouth, but it came in a different form, not your traditional line it up in Power I, milk the clock, and run.

I don't know the percentages of play calling, but I would guess per game Oregon ran the ball at least 80% of the time.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.

Chip had beasts at the O-Line and Oregon ran a form of the uptempo spread but power run game. Oregon currently has talented O-Linemen they are just all freshman.

But absolutely, Oregon was a run first team that would punch you in the mouth, but it came in a different form, not your traditional line it up in Power I, milk the clock, and run.

I don't know the percentages of play calling, but I would guess per game Oregon ran the ball at least 80% of the time.

It was more than just running the ball. It's surprising to many how many power running plays Oregon ran under Kelly. Most coaches who played Oregon between 2007-2012 recognize it. They moved away from this with Mariota (which you can sort of understand) to cater to his talents.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it isn't a misconception. It's about the size of the players you have, particularly the o-line. In the Pete Carroll era, USC was putting up huge numbers on offense, had just as much, if not more speed than Oregon under Chip Kelly and no one mistook them for anything other than a power football team, even though they would spread the field at times.

Oregon had a lot of zone blocking schemes and spread the field because they're o-line couldn't be successful running a power scheme and having to go hat on hat against the bigger d-lines that they faced vs. P5 opponents. That's why they had trouble against the better power teams like Auburn, Stanford and tOSU.

Why are some of you trying to pretend Oregon is something they weren't? There's nothing wrong with the offense they ran or the way they played. It's what brought them the most successful era in their history and brought them to heights that most Oregon fans never thought they'd see.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn't a misconception. It's about the size of the players you have, particularly the o-line. In the Pete Carroll era, USC was putting up huge numbers on offense, had just as much, if not more speed than Oregon under Chip Kelly and no one mistook them for anything other than a power football team, even though they would spread the field at times.

Oregon had a lot of zone blocking schemes and spread the field because they're o-line couldn't be successful running a power scheme and having to go hat on hat against the bigger d-lines that they faced vs. P5 opponents. That's why they had trouble against the better power teams like Auburn, Stanford and tOSU.

Why are some of you trying to pretend Oregon is something they weren't? There's nothing wrong with the offense they ran or the way they played. It's what brought them the most successful era in their history and brought them to heights that most Oregon fans never thought they'd see.

Okay, well then we disagree. Spreading the field doesn't mean you aren't using power running schemes, that's what a lot of people are missing. You even unintentionally admit that Oregon ran power schemes by pointing out the times that their power running schemes didn't work because they ran into better power teams. And you're right to point out that they lost those games because their power running schemes didn't work vs. those teams. And you're also right when you point out that Oregon didn't have the best lineman which is why Oregon, at times, got shut down vs. teams with great D-Lines.

I think the one thing that Oregon did differently is they didn't just run power again and again. if the opposing defense tried to stack the box, they would try to go outside. In my view, that doesn't make you a finessee team, that makes you smart. Maybe you disagree with that. However, what's undeniable is Oregon ran a lot of power running plays under Kelly.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spreading the field doesn't mean you aren't using power running schemes, that's what a lot of people are missing.

It also doesn't mean you are and Oregon didn't.

You even unintentionally admit that Oregon ran power schemes by pointing out the times that their power running schemes didn't work because they ran into better power teams.

I think you misunderstood my point (I may not have given a very clear explanation). They could beat the average power teams because of their speed. But the better power teams beat them because they were just as fast as Oregon or very close to it and could beat them up physically. That's why they didn't play power football, they didn't have that type of athlete.

Again, not sure why Oregon fans are trying to act like Oregon was something they weren't.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also doesn't mean you are and Oregon didn't.

I think you misunderstood my point (I may not have given a very clear explanation). They could beat the average power teams because of their speed. But the better power teams beat them because they were just as fast as Oregon or very close to it and could beat them up physically.

Again, not sure why Oregon fans are trying to act like Oregon was something they weren't.

Well we disagree on this. I think both of us made our points and aren't going to be convinced otherwise. It's not about acting like Oregon is something they weren't, it's just a disagreement. Sometimes honest people can disagree (I know this is hard to recognize on the internet).

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expect Oregon's offense to remain much the same.
Again, if it stays more or less exactly the same then the coaches will be the ones adapting, but either way there is a learning curve. Others in the country have added a HUNH and there are others in the Pac that do that, but none operate the entire Kelly/Helfrich offense.

It won't be entirely 100% the same offense. Coaches will be adapting, and so will players. The question is are YOU specifically ready to go through a few growing pains and transition period for the hope/promise of getting back on top down the road? Will it be just several games, a whole season, more? Who knows. Just no way on earth they all come in game one looking like a well established and experienced offense because they won't be.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, if it stays more or less exactly the same then the coaches will be the ones adapting, but either way there is a learning curve. Others in the country have added a HUNH and there are others in the Pac that do that, but none operate the entire Kelly/Helfrich offense.

It won't be entirely 100% the same offense. Coaches will be adapting, and so will players. The question is are YOU specifically ready to go through a few growing pains and transition period for the hope/promise of getting back on top down the road? Will it be just several games, a whole season, more? Who knows. Just no way on earth they all come in game one looking like a well established and experienced offense because they won't be.

There's always an adjustment period but I'm still confident Oregon has the players to be a bowl team next year, even with the adjustments to a new staff.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always an adjustment period but I'm still confident Oregon has the players to be a bowl team next year, even with the adjustments to a new staff.
Sure, doesn't take much to be a bowl team really. I have no doubt that should be a fairly easy to reach goal, but OD specifically wants scenario village RIGHT GOD DAMNED NOW!!!! and that's what we are preparing him for. I know you are still kind of new here, but it takes time to bring him around to reality.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, doesn't take much to be a bowl team really. I have no doubt that should be a fairly easy to reach goal, but OD specifically wants scenario village RIGHT GOD DAMNED NOW!!!! and that's what we are preparing him for. I know you are still kind of new here, but it takes time to bring him around to reality.

I personally don't know any Duck fans who are thinking playoffs next year. Most have 7 or 8 wins as a good target and I also think that's doable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we disagree on this. I think both of us made our points and aren't going to be convinced otherwise. It's not about acting like Oregon is something they weren't, it's just a disagreement. Sometimes honest people can disagree (I know this is hard to recognize on the internet).

I have no issue with disagreeing. The boards would be awfully boring if we all agreed all of the time. I just think it's odd that some Oregon fans are acting like their being insulted and trying to deny what made Oregon successful.

Personally, I love what Oregon did and have defended the Ducks many times when folks said their style "isn't real football."

Oregon decided they wanted to compete on a national level with the Bama's, USC's, tOSU's, etc. and were smart enough to know that they weren't going to do it playing the same way those teams did. So, they got innovative.

They massively upgraded their facilities to attract recruits and came up with a style of football that was all their own and made the rest of the football world adjust and adapt. If you look all over college football, teams are doing things that have been adopted from Oregon. Heck, how many teams do you see (including USC) using those giant flash cards to call plays?

What Oregon has been able to do is a big reason why college football is so much fun.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't know any Duck fans who are thinking playoffs next year. Most have 7 or 8 wins as a good target and I also think that's doable.
Well your schedule next year is: Southern Utah and @Wyoming - two wins.
Nebraska at home - We will see.
No idea of order, but
@UW
WSU
Cal
@stanford
Oregon State
And you will have
Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, and Utah out of division not sure which is home/away.

You need 5 or 6 of that conf slate to reach 7-8 wins unless you feel pretty confident about beating Nebraska at home.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well your schedule next year is: Southern Utah and @Wyoming - two wins.
Nebraska at home - We will see.
No idea of order, but
@UW
WSU
Cal
@stanford
Oregon State
And you will have
Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, and Utah out of division not sure which is home/away.

You need 5 or 6 of that conf slate to reach 7-8 wins unless you feel pretty confident about beating Nebraska at home.

OOC: Southern Utah (Win), at Wyoming, Nebraska - 2 wins a minimum, 3 is very possible.

Conference Home games: OSU, Cal, Zona, Utah, and WSU. I really see OSU, Cal and Zona as wins, especially at home. Utah and WSU are winnable but tough.

Conference Away Game: Stanford, UW, UCLA, and ASU. Stanford and UW are very tough but they could easily win vs. ASU and UCLA.

I see 2 wins in the OOC and then the OSU, Cal, and Zona games as very likely (not going to call any of them automatic). Then out of Nebraska, WSU, Utah, at UCLA, and at ASU, I think they could win 2 or 3 of those.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally don't know any Duck fans who are thinking playoffs next year.

Just so you know...OD expects the playoffs every year. He's probably surprised the Ducks didn't get in this year, even with a 4-8 record.

It's actually part of his charm. lol