• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will ND take action against Kelly

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the alumni have been critical of how Kelly has acted on the sidelines in the past. I wonder if ND will reprimand him for his actions last night. the assistant shouldn't have been arguing with officials but what Kelly did is complete bs imo. how do u teach your team discipline when your head coach acts like a complete jackass? moments later we see martin take a stupid personal foul cheap shot.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this one I don't have an issue with, the assistant should have been sent out of the stadium and lost his job. Sure he could have handled it better but the assistant had no business doing what he was doing and if Kelly had to push him away from the official to prevent a penalty then he does. I don't blame Kelly for Martin's penalty who knows what had been going on during the game and Martin may very well have just lost it, happens from time to time.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, this one I don't have an issue with, the assistant should have been sent out of the stadium and lost his job. Sure he could have handled it better but the assistant had no business doing what he was doing and if Kelly had to push him away from the official to prevent a penalty then he does. I don't blame Kelly for Martin's penalty who knows what had been going on during the game and Martin may very well have just lost it, happens from time to time.

there is a difference between pushing a guy away and attacking him. grimes would have been in the right to drop him. lucky for Kelly people stepped in

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a difference between pushing a guy away and attacking him. grimes would have been in the right to drop him. lucky for Kelly people stepped in

You and I have a different idea of attacking, he grabbed his coat and began pushing him away from the ref and the sideline, the reason it looked as so forceful was because Grimes was resisting and running his mouth to Kelly. Personally I think Grimes will be luck to have a job.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read a lot of chatter on this topic and my own observations are that this is being way overblown. The loudest critics are the ones that hate all things Kelly and are just using this incident as an excuse to rag on him some more.

Grimes is a freaking S &C grad assistant. He has no business talking to the refs hell coordinators shouldn't even do that. It is the province of the HC. All Kelly did was push him back away. I've heard charges that he tried to choke him etc a lot of irrational hatred.

In hindsight I am sure he would have handled it differently. In the field of battle he was trying to separate him from the situation. It looked also like Grimes was getting into it with Longo too

The same idiots calling for Kelly to be reprimanded or that this is evidence of his failure as a coach or his character are the same ones who would accuse him of not controlling the sideline if a flag was thrown.

There's a lot to criticize about Kelly. This certainly isn't one of them. These incidents happen all the time and the coaches are big boys they flush it as soon as it's over.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm Ok with it. Kelly was doing the right thing he just got a little too aggressive.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have done the same thing if i was coach. Assistant tried to overstep his bounds. I would have been in his face after asking him if he was a "Fucking Idiot?" :whistle:

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelly can be an ass, but if he wasn't reprimanded for some of the things he was doing with the players, I don't see it happening because of how he was treating an assistant. It will be interesting to see if Grimes keeps his job for long.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, regardless of the situation, a head coach cannot put his hands on another coach.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Sarks case it was only to keep himself upright.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Sark was grabbed by others to stay upright, not the other way around.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much to do about nothing, to answer your question, hell no and they shouldn't. He just needs a thirty second speech to calm down some, nothing more.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually thought coach was doing a great job of keeping his cool. He was talking to the players in a calm way when it seemed to me he had to be a bit peeved on the inside.

When it came to the assistant coach, yes he was up in his grill, but I think he perhaps needed to, I don't think I've ever seen that happen before (an assistant getting in the ear of an official). I have no real problem with that. Kelly needs to get control of things because after a bye-week, that was not what I expected to see.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we tend to forget how Lou got when he was on the sidelines. He was about as crazy as Kelly. (but he won a NC)

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't have a problem with it. Obviously it's a political issue these days. Hell back in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s a coach grabbing a player's facemask and pulling him close so he could chew that ass was nothing out of the ordinary.

I remember being in the military in the late 80s and my drill sergeants would talk about going out to the woodshed. They weren't lying either. If you thought you were man enough to challenge them, they'd damn well see that request through. Now I'm not advocating coaches kicking players' asses, not at all. But if you've been drilled to death on fundamentals and then fail to remember, recall or keep that in the front of your mind along with whatever else you're doing, you'd better believe you were going to get called on it. I realize it's different but when you train for war, every mistake could be your life. Any mistake. You'd best be on your game. The same can apply in football, it's not life or death but to a much lesser degree it is, the life or death of that W, or the life or death of your season goals.

Chewing ass can be a very good tool, you force a person to only think of what they need to think of which is very little, the rest should be ingrained from endless repetition, that's what practice is for, so you execute as you're expected to when you're in the thick of it. Of course some people don't react the same way to being yelled at and getting their asses chewed on. As long as there's no physical injury, I have no problem with it. A bruised ego sometimes is exactly the remedy needed for failure to execute as you're taught and as you're capable.