• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Stop the Kelly talk

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he stays. He wants to finish what he started here. I don't see him leaving. Where would he go that can top ND. Not many places on the same level as being HC at ND. Florida is not one of those schools.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he stays. He wants to finish what he started here. I don't see him leaving. Where would he go that can top ND. Not many places on the same level as being HC at ND. Florida is not one of those schools.

firstly ... that doesn't mean much anymore.

secondly ... the pros for bigger money.

thirdly ... i don't think he CAN finish what he started here. i don't know about you but i doubt very much he can change. i won't be sorry hif he ends up leav ing. i will admit he's brought thew team a long ways from wshere it's been for 20 or so years but i think he's maxed out. i'd sooner take a chance on still finding that coach who knows how to coach on the field!

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
firstly ... that doesn't mean much anymore.

secondly ... the pros for bigger money.

thirdly ... i don't think he CAN finish what he started here. i don't know about you but i doubt very much he can change. i won't be sorry hif he ends up leav ing. i will admit he's brought thew team a long ways from wshere it's been for 20 or so years but i think he's maxed out. i'd sooner take a chance on still finding that coach who knows how to coach on the field!

Not at ND. ND pays its HC more then most NFL coaches. Just ask Weis.

ND would go backwards if he left. He would be a Big loss. remember how long it took to find a HC to bring us back…..like 20 years . I hope he stays. ND is better with him then with out him.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is you are rarely going to have depth on all your units. Maybe Alabama can but not even at SC who recruits well did they have that during the Pete years. It was either a great O and a so so D or a great D and an OK Offense.Some times you will have a dominant Defense and an OK offense or a good O and a your secondary is young. A good coach will mask the flaws and not let the other team exploit it or have his team run to keep the other team from abusing your defense or like in the ASU game he should have figured out that they were selling out and going at Golson and ran plays to make them pay. I had that feeling against Boston college earlier in the year. SC kept trying to run when BC loaded the box. USC has NFL receivers ans should have made them pay . Personally I think Kelly relied too much on his QB be the one to take you to the promised land. It's like he spent the last three years waiting for Golson to have this opportunity and it was boom or bust with him and thats why he never sat him down when most think he needed it. No Tommy on the sideline to come in and rescue him this year.

Of course you can't but he mismanaged the depth of the defense at LB and at DL which is why they have so many young players playing nothing changes that even if you can't always have superior depth at all positions. Two D-Lineman getting hurt shouldn't be as big of a deal when you have 85 scholarship athletes, or Schmidt getting injured should spell doom for your Linebacker corps.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at ND. ND pays its HC more then most NFL coaches. Just ask Weis.

ND would go backwards if he left. He would be a Big loss. remember how long it took to find a HC to bring us back…..like 20 years . I hope he stays. ND is better with him then with out him.

ND does not pay its coaches well. The school, so averse to making the football program the focal point of the school, will not allow the FB coach to make more than the administrators or even the most tenured faculty. Whereas at typical Big State U, the coach is likely the second highest paid employee after the President. Somebody posted the list of highest paid coaches, You'd be shocked not only at where Kelly is ranked, but who is ahead of him. Let's just say Bob Diaco's annual salary is bigger. Let that sink in.

Weis was making so much because the buyout on his 10 year extension was so large.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND does not pay its coaches well. The school, so averse to making the football program the focal point of the school, will not allow the FB coach to make more than the administrators or even the most tenured faculty. Whereas at typical Big State U, the coach is likely the second highest paid employee after the President. Somebody posted the list of highest paid coaches, You'd be shocked not only at where Kelly is ranked, but who is ahead of him. Let's just say Bob Diaco's annual salary is bigger. Let that sink in.

Weis was making so much because the buyout on his 10 year extension was so large.

I disagree big time with you
Salaries & Contracts

Kelly is making 4 million a year. That puts him #13 in college football. His next contract will put him in the top 5.

Coaches Salaries NFL

He is getting paid like an NFL Coach. Maybe not a top one but overall as an NFL HC.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golson lacks football IQ and pocket awareness, I've said it before.

Football IQ can't be taught, you have it or you don't. I agree with whywork on this, Kelly needs to make some changes, either in his play calling to try and protect the team from Golson's mistakes, or making a change at the position altogether.

Disagree bro ... coaches paid to do just that. Some players might not get it 100%, but it can be taught.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team started out like a ball of fire and now the injuries on the D side has caught up with them. Smith being out has killed this team and now you have a freshman in that is really struggling. They are so young on the D side and we have loss so many players I am not sure how you can recover from that. It is clear the depth in later part of the season becomes a major issue.

On the O side we can drive the ball on anyone but when you make the mistakes we have made it changes everything. It is almost like you have to change your playbook because you cannot protect the ball. I hear this is coaching but come on when do the players say that is my fault where is the player responsibility? In the two losses we have put up great O numbers and drove down the field but critical mistakes losing the ball it is almost unreal. Even our best ball handlers that never fumble did it vs. NW. Our best field goal kicker misses two field goals and NW kicker that never kicks the ball past 29 yards is hitting everything right down the middle???

I am upset as anyone with NW lost to me it was probably the most embarrassing loss ND has had in a long time. The end of this game made me sick to my stomach. This team played to not lose and did not play to win you can see it down the stretch. The play calling going for 2 because you have no faith of placing the ball on the ground to kick extra point you do not even see that in an average high school game. After all that we drove down the field which would have ended the game and fumble on 2 yard line. We get the ball back to run time out and give it to our most solid running back and he fumble’s the ball how is that play calling? You can argue take a knee and punt but to me the call was the right one run the ball take more time of the clock it was conservative run play with a running back that 99% of the time protects the ball.

To call for Kelly to be fired is just flat wrong. Do we not remember what the teams look like before this? The track record of poor coaches we had and getting back on that same track scares me. Yes we did we lose to team we should have beaten but if we hold onto the ball we could easily be undefeated at this time. In the eras before Kelly there were games you can almost always say we had no chance to win and then the average teams and poor teams could be losses. There has not been a game I have watch in the past few years that I did not have confidence in that we could win even the national championship game.
If Kelly leaves or is let go who is next in line? The head coaching job at ND is not an easy job due to academics. High standards became evident this year as ND places many things above football. Coaches that want a easy way out like the SEC were football and winning is number one are not looking at ND even with its traditions. Holtz left because of all these issues listed above and I am not so sure after what happen to these 5 students that Kelly is not going to be in the same boat soon.
Be careful of what you ask for!!!

7-3 = The Coach in his 5th year.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree big time with you
Salaries & Contracts

Kelly is making 4 million a year. That puts him #13 in college football. His next contract will put him in the top 5.

Coaches Salaries NFL

He is getting paid like an NFL Coach. Maybe not a top one but overall as an NFL HC.

Well, either my source in the USA Today article is wrong or yours is.

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree bro ... coaches paid to do just that. Some players might not get it 100%, but it can be taught.

Have to agree. Skill and talent can't be taught, that's why it's called skill and talent. Football IQ is not rocket science, you learn the fundamentals and then it's just changing the names of shit so the other side doesn't know what you're running. A 444 88y Post-pattern is the same in every playbook, only the name changes.

The only thing I was glad to 'hear' today was that Coach actually took 'some' responsibility this week regarding the turnovers, saying I can coach better - according to Mayock, or Flutie. The only problem was, he didn't actually follow through on his threat. You might say it was a judgment call on pulling Golson after the early pick on a bad throw, but not the fumble. I get that Kelly was probably trying to instill confidence in the QB yet again, afraid to pull him because we were down 17-6 at that point and it was senior day. All compelling arguments to keep him in, but you have to be willing to sacrifice his risk vs. reward if that is indeed what you think is holding back the Ws. He didn't and there ya have it.

I don't know if he should go or not. I'm willing to pass him on account of the first year DC, a very young D with some depth issues and injuries. The rest, he does not get a pass on. Either Golson can't read and call for a hot-route or Kelly is out of his mind with how he handles his Playbook and Golson. It's entirely ridiculous. Louisville QB, Freshman. Didn't have a stellar game numbers-wise but he didn't give the game away either. Funny how our QB can't do that. I'm pretty sure without even looking that Golson has more turnovers this year than he did when he was supposedly being handled with kid gloves and only asked to manage the game. He even had problems doing that as Tommy Rees would be willing to tell ya I'm sure.

There was very littler reason other than Golson's fucking fragile EGO to not put Malik Zaire in today, not after the 1st quarter, not with 3 losses already. Senior day was about it and that's even more of a reason to put in someone who COULD spark the team... well maybe not that Defense, we look lost. Cole Luke played very well, the rest is meh.

Then you have Bryant. This kid's better than Carlise, why can't Kelly work him into the game with Folston and/or McDaniel? We run the jet sweep with a receiver, am I to believe Bryant is incapable of going in motion and taking a handoff? This would add a wrinkle to the set that teams would have to be honest for, that kid hits the edge it can be TD. I just do not get it.

Look at Jerry Kill at Minnesota... doesn't get the top recruits, still wins where-ever he goes and his teams play sound for the most part. You could name a dozen coaches or more like this. Why is it that we get the ones with Egos the size of the planet but with these glaring weaknesses and the lack of fundamentals being shown by the teams they field?

6-0 to 7-4 is just imploding, injuries I'll give 'em... the coaching I will not.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big issue is Kelly has been here for 5 years and he still doesn't have His QB or a top QB. What is taking so long. I don't get it. We haven't had a good QB since Clausen

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The annoying thing is, Golson has so much potential. I think Goldon's biggest problem is between his ears. He has a big time confidence problem, often hesitates, makes poor decisions under duress. It's very telling that your SR starting QB isn't a captain. I don't think he has the respect or admiration of the team. Again, with so much of Kelly's system relying on the QB, that's a bad sign.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malik needs to start this game or at least play a couple of series. Its time to look at the future.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might say it was a judgment call on pulling Golson after the early pick on a bad throw, but not the fumble. I get that Kelly was probably trying to instill confidence in the QB yet again, afraid to pull him because we were down 17-6 at that point and it was senior day. All compelling arguments to keep him in, but you have to be willing to sacrifice his risk vs. reward if that is indeed what you think is holding back the Ws. He didn't and there ya have it.

I'm pretty sure without even looking that Golson has more turnovers this year than he did when he was supposedly being handled with kid gloves and only asked to manage the game. He even had problems doing that as Tommy Rees would be willing to tell ya I'm sure.

There was very littler reason other than Golson's fucking fragile EGO to not put Malik Zaire in today, not after the 1st quarter, not with 3 losses already. Senior day was about it and that's even more of a reason to put in someone who COULD spark the team...

This whole Golson thing ...

I'm almost wondering if BK made 'some sort of a deal' with him last season when he was basically booted off the team and was going to transfer. Remember?

Did BK make a deal with him that if he stayed, he'd 'guarantee' him the starting job ... under false pretenses? You could argue that it doesn't seem likely, since he had an 'honest' tryout btwn Golson and the others ... maybe that was just smoke & mirrors just to hide 'the scheme'.

Just throwing that one out there, b/c I can't figure out any sensible reason to why in the hell he keeps trotting EG out there ... and never blows his stack with him like he did poor Rees. He treats Golson with kid gloves and never really rides him (during games anyway) ... is it because he's afraid of damaging his ego or is it because of some deal that was made in order to get 'his guy' to remain at ND?

Conspiracy theorist much? You betcha! :think: :scratch:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it will likely cost him his job, if they play like this in 2015.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100% with this post.