• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will Julius Peppers go down as a top 10 defensive player of all time?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers should be regarded as top 10 of all time. He's the Randy Moss of D-linemen. He was probably the most talented defensive player to suit up since LT; he didn't always go 100%, but for the most part he was just so much better than everyone else that he didn't walways have to go 100% to be great. And when he did go 100% there was no stopping him.

That is a myth that Peppers took plays off...

Trgovac: Peppers just makes it look easy - Chicago Bears Blog - ESPN Chicago

"He had it [the reputation] coming out of college," Trgovac said Tuesday at Super Bowl media day. "I always attribute it to [the fact] he's so smooth and natural. I was his position coach his rookie year, and he was rookie of the year by the way, and he only played 12 games. I did every [college] game on him because we had just been hired there in Carolina and Houston already said they were going to take quarterback David Carr, so we had to choose between Julius and Joey Harrington.

"People always talked about him taking plays off and doing this, but he's just so smooth and natural that he does things so easy that people think he's being lazy. But Julius plays hard. That reputation has always followed him, and maybe will always follow him for his whole career. I don't know, I hope not, because he is a really good guy. He commands a lot of attention. What was really impressive for us [in Carolina] was his work ethic in practice. He busts his butt in practice and I don't think the kid ever got enough credit for that."

Panthers coach Fox: 'Pep's a heck of a player' - Chicago Tribune

In Charlotte, N.C., they still talk about the back-to-back plays Julius Peppers made in a game in Denver in 2004.
On third-and-3, he pushed Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer out of bounds on a bootleg after a 2-yard gain. Then on fourth-and-1, he intercepted Plummer's pass and ran it back 97 yards.

That is how Peppers will be remembered by John Fox, the only NFL head coach Peppers has known.
"Pep's a heck of a player," Fox said Monday. "I knew he'd be a guy who would be one of the first to get signed. He hasn't had any injuries. He's clean as a whistle medically. I know he's 30, but he looks just like he did when he was 22."
Fox dispelled the notion that the Bears' new defensive end takes a lot of plays off. He said effort was not a problem for Peppers.
"He trains and works hard," Fox said. "He's a great kid. He's quiet, but he leads by example."

Don't let Peppers' low sack total fool you - NFL - Yahoo Sports

“We did a lot of homework on him,” Smith said, “and everything came back the same.”
Despite his immense NFL success – 81 sacks in his first eight seasons – Peppers was dogged by questions that he wasn’t consistent and that he didn’t fulfill his potential. So Smith wanted to be comfortable that Peppers was going to be a cornerstone defender and not a free-agent disaster.
Smith sought the input of numerous people he trusted, including his friend Ron Meeks, the Carolina Panthers’ defensive coordinator in 2009 and 2010.
“ ‘One of the best guys you will have a chance to coach,’ ” Smith recalled one person telling him. “Everything was positive.”
Peppers was an exception, so the Bears made an exception.

Peppers relishes his fresh start - Chicago Bears Blog - ESPN Chicago

Now that he’s accomplished the change, Peppers wants to finally silence the critics. One NFL coach who worked with Peppers in Carolina, held the same beliefs about a perceived lack of effort from the defensive end.
“When we were evaluating before we got him, I thought that too. Then one of our coaches gave me tape from the [2002] combine,” the coach said. “He said watch this one first; then watch Julius. I watched the first guy, he’s straining through this drill, grunting, making all kinds of faces. Right after that, Peppers comes up and goes through the same drill [the coach imitates an effortless run]. Smooth. You look at your watch, and Peppers just smoked the time [of the player in the first drill]. He just makes it look so easy sometimes it looks like he’s not trying.”
Peppers laughed at the story, before agreeing and adding his spin.
“You know, I think sometimes certain players – and I don’t name names – but certain players have a certain haircut, they have certain sack celebrations. They draw a lot of attention to themselves. That stuff can make it seem like you’re playing hard when really, you’re playing [about the same] as everybody else,” Peppers said. “You’re just bringing that extra attention to yourself. Just because I go about it mild mannered and I don’t do all of that stuff, maybe that’s something to talk about, too. If you hear [the criticism] from a coach that’s a different story. But I have yet to hear that from a coach. People who say it and watch the game don’t really understand my responsibilities on certain plays. If my play is not to run and chase the ball, if my play is to stay backside, then I’ve got to stay backside. I’ve got to be disciplined. I can’t run across the field and chase stuff that’s not mine. I can’t help that stuff comes easy sometimes; easier than somebody else. So I deal with it and hopefully, after this year, people won’t say that anymore.”

Still, critics will justifiably question whether the Bears paid too much for a player who could be entering the crossroads of his career. There’s also the legitimate concern that Peppers -- now that he’s received the big paycheck (he’ll make $40.5 million in the first three years) -- won't be motivated to play hard.
“That’s not my moral fiber, my character,” Peppers said. “I’m not above criticism. I can [take that] constructive[ly]; not saying that I believe it’s true. But if that’s something I have a chance to prove people wrong about, then I welcome that criticism. There’s pressure to perform. Being rewarded by this organization in that way only makes me want to play harder and repay them for what they did for me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers makes himself at home - Chicago Tribune

But along with the optimism expressed by the fans is the trepidation voiced by skeptics in regard to Peppers' work ethic. It is a label he says dates to his college days, when a coach questioned his desire before the 2002 draft. Peppers still ended up with the Panthers as the No. 2 overall selection.
Many wondered if there was validity to the coach's claim when two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason, Peppers' former teammate in Carolina, went on a Charlotte radio station last season and said he would confront Peppers about playing with more intensity.
"Beason … he knew he was wrong for that,'' Peppers says, his tone raised a notch. "I didn't even have to respond to that because as soon as he left the radio station, he came over and apologized.
"People that really know me know how I work. You never heard one of my coaches or (other) teammates say anything about my work ethic. And that Beason thing kind of got taken out of context.''
Regardless, Peppers knows he has to produce immediate results. He comes to Chicago with 81 career sacks, an average of 10.1 per season, to go with 48 tackles per year. He doesn't want to put a number on sacks this season, although he agrees 10 or more seems reasonable.
"A lot of people don't really understand that a statistic is an indicator, but it doesn't really give the full picture of the body of work,'' he says. "There's been time when I've had one sack or no sacks and controlled a whole game, and I've seen other cats get three or four sacks and it had no effect on that game.
"My approach is going to be all about winning games. All the rest of that stuff will take care of itself.''
Peppers says if he plays up to his potential, the Bears should make the playoffs. He continues to view himself as another valuable piece rather than the savior, regardless of the hero's welcome he received during his first full week in Chicago.
"The Bears are a little bit more established on the defensive side than in Carolina,'' he says, "and plus, I believe in Jay Cutler. … I see the potential. There's no doubt in my mind that we're going to turn this thing around.''
And Peppers has no doubt that he'll silence his critics.
"If you want to keep saying things, go ahead,'' he says. "I actually want people to keep saying that I take plays off because it's going to keep me on my toes. It's only going to fuel my fire even more.''

About this time a year ago Carolina Panthers linebacker Jon Beason was calling out teammate Julius Peppers publicly, raising an issue of Peppers� perceived �intensity.�

Now he would be very, very happy if Peppers left any intensity back in Chicago when the Bears go to Charlotte to play Peppers� former team.

I think Pep is going to go down as one of the best ever,� Beason said. �Truly a specimen and he�s an addition to any football team, any defense. The difference is, now that I�m playing outside [linebacker], that things are more clear to me how important it is having a big dominant D-end.�

Indeed you sometimes don�t appreciate what you had �til it�s gone. So it is with Peppers and the Panthers from whom he�s gone now after eight seasons in Carolina.

Beason, suffering through an 0-3 start then and an 0-4 one now, subsequently explained his comments about Peppers� made to a Charlotte radio station. He has gained an even greater appreciation of what Peppers was facing week after week.

�I was able to witness it first hand for three years the different schemes Pep had to deal with every Sunday as far as sliding offensive linemen his way and backs chipping in before they went out,� Beason said.

�It was tough on him but if you�re playing opposite him, you should definitely be excited about it because he will definitely command that attention.�

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers driven to continually improve

Bears defensive end Julius Peppers is nicknamed "The Freak" because of his extremely rare combination of size and athleticism. But that's not the only key to his success.

In presenting a Brian Piccolo Award to the 6-7, 287-pounder Tuesday at Halas Hall, Bears defensive line coach Mike Phair lauded Peppers' work ethic and attention to detail.

"You see a guy that's one of the better football players that's ever played this game and each and every day in practice he's the first guy in line," Phair said.

"He works extremely hard and he's very coachable. In meetings, he's a guy that takes great notes. That's one of the things that you could take for granted: 'Hey, I'm a pro. I've been here. I know the system.' But he's taking notes like a rookie. That's very impressive." Peppers' attention to detail stems from his desire to continually improve, something he's done throughout his career. Selected by the Carolina Panthers with the second pick in the 2002 draft, he has been voted to eight Pro Bowls, including three in as many years with the Bears.

"I always like to take notes because you never know it all," Peppers said. "Once you think you know it all, that's when you start falling off. It's always good to try to get a little better every day."

Julius Peppers finds his lost spark - Chicago Sun-Times

After his best game of the season, Julius Peppers flashed a knowing smile when asked the obvious: Had he been redeemed?
“The good thing is, I don’t hear that stuff because I don’t listen to it,” the Bears defensive end said after the 23-20 overtime victory Sunday against the Baltimore *Ravens at Soldier Field.
“That’s the good thing: I try as best as possible to block that stuff out. I don’t hear it, so it doesn’t affect me. Of course it’s out there. This is not my first time doing it, either.
“I’ve had times where people have been on my case about sack numbers, this and that. It’s just one of those things that you kinda get used to.”

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's arrived in Chicago, he's been the fourth best Bears defender. I'll take Briggs, Urlacher, and Tillman over him since he came to Chicago without blinking an eye. I don't want to call him bad, because he is a very football player, but I think I speak for most Bears fans in saying he's been less than a superstar.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since he's arrived in Chicago, he's been the fourth best Bears defender. I'll take Briggs, Urlacher, and Tillman over him since he came to Chicago without blinking an eye. I don't want to call him bad, because he is a very football player, but I think I speak for most Bears fans in saying he's been less than a superstar.

Wow, so Peppers, who arrived in Chicago in 2010 and helped the Bears make it to the NFC championship game after the Bears missed the playoffs for 3 straight seasons, as well as finishing fourth in voting for the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year Award, making the Pro Bowl, and All-Pro First team that season as well, then making the Pro Bowl in 2011 and 2012 as well as All-Pro Second team in 2012, and all the numerous impact plays and stats he has put up as a Bear, and you think he's only the 4th best Bear during that time period?

Not to mention Peppers not missing a game as a Bear despite playing with a sprained MCL in his knee in 2011 and plantar fasciitis in his feet in 2012 and yet still producing. While all of Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman have missed numerous games each because of injury.

Peppers is by far the most impactful player on the Bears D, as well as the most durable.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, so Peppers, who arrived in Chicago in 2010 and helped the Bears make it to the NFC championship game after the Bears missed the playoffs for 3 straight seasons, as well as finishing fourth in voting for the 2010 Defensive Player of the Year Award, making the Pro Bowl, and All-Pro First team that season as well, then making the Pro Bowl in 2011 and 2012 as well as All-Pro Second team in 2012, and all the numerous impact plays and stats he has put up as a Bear, and you think he's only the 4th best Bear during that time period?

Not to mention Peppers not missing a game as a Bear despite playing with a sprained MCL in his knee in 2011 and plantar fasciitis in his feet in 2012 and yet still producing. While all of Urlacher, Briggs, and Tillman have missed numerous games each because of injury.

Peppers is by far the most impactful player on the Bears D, as well as the most durable.

All of those awards are based on perception. It means nothing to me. The Bears improved in 2010 because they had a decent DC for the first time in three years.

As it stands, he's a 4-3 DE that averages 40 tackles and 10 sacks despite spending 3/4of those years with one of the best pass coverage teams in the league. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't scream "best player ever", either.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guarantee you, that other teams gameplan for Peppers more than all 3 you mentioned.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of those awards are based on perception. It means nothing to me. The Bears improved in 2010 because they had a decent DC for the first time in three years.

As it stands, he's a 4-3 DE that averages 40 tackles and 10 sacks despite spending 3/4of those years with one of the best pass coverage teams in the league. There's nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't scream "best player ever", either.

I don't know where you got that he played on one of the best pass coverage teams for the majority of his career?

He averages closer to 50 tackles per season, and besides the tackles and sacks he impacts the games by just being on the field taking on double teams allowing his teammates to make plays, as well as making lots of plays himself, from getting sacks, to QB hurries, forcing and recovering fumbles, knocking down passes, getting interceptions, blocked kicks, etc., as well as setting the edge and shutting down the run. Peppers just makes and impact...

Peppers has been dominating since he entered the league in 2002...

http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/Julius-Peppers/ed69df51-ff1c-4936-b8ea-45bd307bd462http://www.panthers.com/team/roster/Julius-Peppers/ed69df51-ff1c-4936-b8ea-45bd307bd462

Peppers helped Panthers boast only defensive unit since the NFL merger in 1970 to improve from last in the League in total defense to second in one season. (His Rookie year.)

2010 NFL All-Pros, awards ballot with Julius Peppers, Tom Brady - Peter King - SI.com

Though Peppers had but eight sacks this year, he had a huge impact on a defense that went from 21st in the league in points allowed in 2009 to fourth this year; from 4.3 yards per rush last year to 3.7 this year; from 29 touchdown passes surrendered last year to 14 this year. He pushes the pocket. He buzzes around the quarterback. He makes other guys -- Israel Idonije, Tommie Harris -- better.
There's no question the return of Brian Urlacher at the pivot point of the defense has been a significant addition, but Peppers has been the most important reason the Bears have become the Monsters of the Midway again, and that's why he's my defensive player of the year.
He's the John Stockton of the Bears defense, the guy who makes everyone around him better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-peppersbears011411http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-peppersbears011411

Peppers makes plays in spite of double teams and he empowers Smith’s Tampa 2-based defense to stick to its roots, relying on a four-man rush instead of counting on linebackers and defensive backs to blitz. According to Football Outsiders, the Bears rushed six or more defenders on 16.7 percent of passes in 2009, the third-highest rate in the league. They also sent only four players on 56.4 percent of pass plays (22nd). This season, though, the Bears have sent six or more defenders just 1.4 percent of plays (25th), and they relied on a four-man rush 72.2 percent of pass plays, the third-highest total in the league.

The Bears’ run defense was ranked second – its highest since the 2001 season – and it also allowed the third-fewest points (16.0)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/19397/the-true-impact-of-julius-peppershttp://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/19397/the-true-impact-of-julius-peppers

"I think we all know on the team, I'm speaking of players and coaches, I think we all know what I'm bringing to the team," Peppers said. "And while the numbers aren't popping out on the page, the things that I'm doing when you see the tape, it's good football out there. I'm pleased with it. I think everybody else is pleased with it, and hopefully by the end of the year, the numbers will be matching up to what we see on the field."

It's happened before in Peppers' career. As the first chart shows, he amassed 10.5 sacks in the second half of the 2008 season and 6.5 after the midpoint of 2005. It's true: Sacks can come in bunches.

But in the meantime, how can we fairly judge Peppers' performance? As we've noted several times, his presence has allowed the Bears to limit their blitz frequency and devote more players to coverage. The results has been remarkable. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Bears have the NFL's best pass defense when rushing four or fewer men.

The second chart provides those details. The Bears have rushed four or fewer men on about 70 percent of opponents' dropbacks this season. Opposing quarterbacks have a 66.6 passer rating in those situations, the lowest in the league.

With all due respect to the rest of the Bears' line, including defensive end Israel Idonije and his five sacks, I think we can reasonably trace that success to Peppers and the havoc he creates. He leads the Bears with 12 quarterback pressures, has intercepted one pass at the line of scrimmage and batted away two others while also forcing fumbles after both of his sacks.

"I've been pleased," Peppers said. "The numbers aren't where we would like them to be, but those things will come. But other than that, I think it's been a great season. I think it's been one of my better seasons playing the position overall. Rushing and playing the run and just being active on the field, it's been one of my better years."

But more than anything, what we saw in the first half was a textbook example of how an elite pass-rusher can impact a team in ways other than sacks. Do you think the Bears would have the NFL's No. 8 defense without Peppers?

This argument could all be a moot point after Sunday, when Peppers will face a Minnesota Vikings team he lit up last season as a member of the Carolina Panthers. Peppers played so well early in that game, notching a sack along with three other quarterback hits while also batting down a pass, that the Vikings benched Pro Bowl left tackle Bryant McKinnie.

"I've been seeing [extra help] a lot, just as I have my whole career," Peppers said. "It's not anything new. So you know, I'm being patient, I'm working hard. The sacks and stuff will come. I'm not really concerned about sacks right now. I'm concerned about winning games and being disruptive. I think I'm doing a good job at that."

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For his short career I thought Wally Chambers was the most dominant Bears D-Lineman I've seen in my many years of watching football, and still is. So I have to vote no to Pep in the top 10 all time.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Peppers makes the Bears defense go | members.jacksonville.com

“They’re definitely one of the better defensive lines and they play with their hair on fire and we’ve got to be able to match that,’’ guard Uche Nwaneri said.
And it all starts with Peppers, who got a six-year $91.5 million free agent deal in 2010 with $42 million guaranteed. Many big-money free agents aren’t the same after they get the big money, but he’s the exception to the rule.
“He’s been everything — no, he’s been even more than what we wanted him to be when he became a Bear,’’ coach Lovie Smith said.
His sack total wasn’t eye-popping in his first two years with the Bears. He had 19, although he caused six fumbles. And he has just 2.5 this year.
But he opens things up for other players because opposing offenses have to pay so much attention to him.
A seven-time Pro Bowler, Peppers said at the start of the season, “Just because teams try to take me out of the game doesn’t necessarily mean you’re out of the game. You can still impact the game.’’
Of the double-teaming and chipping teams do to stop him, Pepper said, “Take it as a compliment. You also know you’re helping out your teammates. You might not get the looks you want to get as far as getting a single, but you’re helping somebody else. You’re trusting your teammates to get the job done.’’
He’s a main reason the Bears are third in the NFL in sacks with 15, two behind the Bengals, who boosted their total to 17 with the six against the Jaguars last Sunday.
Defensive tackle Henry Melton leads the team with four sacks while defensive end Israeal Idonije and Peppers each have 2.5 and rookie Shea McClellin, who’s still a backup, has two.
Two weeks ago, the defense throttled the Rams, 23-6, holding them to two field goals and scoring a touchdown on Major Wright’s 45-yard interception return for a touchdown.
And they do it without doing much blitzing because they can get to the quarterback with their front four.
They’re also stout in stopping the run and rank third in the league in rush defense.
Teammate Lance Briggs said Peppers is the player teams have to account for.
“You always have to chip him. He’s constantly chipped by running backs, or double-teamed,’’ Briggs said.
The Bears also keep him fresh by limiting his snaps. He played on 40 of the 70 defensive snaps the Bears had against Dallas.
And while he’s technically a defensive end, the Bears line him up all over the line.
Briggs said, “We move him around. He plays inside. He plays the interior as well as the outside creating some matchup problems for offensive lines. He’s just a guy who is a dominating force in the league.’’
Jaguars coach Mike Mularkey was familiar with Peppers from his days in Atlanta, when he had to scheme against Peppers twice a year.
“You’ve got to find him and it’s not like you can design your scheme around one guy and go, ‘He’s always lined up on this side.’ They’re moving him around. He’s a tough guy to block without help. He definitely can become a game wrecker,’’ Mularkey said.
Nwaneri said: “He’s a very dangerous player. You’ve got to keep him out of that zone. Those elite defensive ends get in zones and they get the tackle or guard on their heels. You don’t want that. He’s a great finisher at the quarterback.’’
Smith said he was shocked when Peppers couldn’t reach a deal with Carolina and hit the open market. It was like Christmas came early when the Bears got to sign him on the dotted line.
“And being a guy that’s been a fan of his from afar for a long time, early on you couldn’t let yourself really think that you really had a legitimate shot until it started to happen and we got a chance to meet Julius,’’ he said.
Smith said he felt like he was recruiting Peppers.
“The money will take care itself, but nowadays free agency is about recruiting and showing a player exactly what you have to offer. He saw it was a good fit,’’ he said.
When Peppers does line up at right end, he’ll take on Eugene Monroe in one of the better matchups in the game. In the opener at Minnesota, Monroe neutralized another noted pass rusher in Jared Allen. And Mularkey said Monroe only gave up one pressure against Cincinnati.
Monroe said of Peppers: “He’s a great athlete. He does a lot well. It’s a great challenge to be playing against him. I’m looking forward to it.’’

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a Bear Uniform Peppers hasn't been the game changer that other Bears have been including Hampton, Dent, Urlacher, Singletary, Butkus, or Briggs, and if you want to go with body of work then add Alan Page to the list of Bear players. Can't speak to Peppers pre Bears as I didn't watch a lot of Carolina games. To the OP's point though, yea he has been injured and nicked up a lot as a Bear.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is deion not in your top 10? He completely dominated the competition. Who since him besides revis could shutdown half the field?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peppers is fun to watch though. He is definitely a mutant.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quiet Peppers spices up Carolina defense - USATODAY.com

Joe Theismann:
After watching Peppers notch three sacks, bat down a pass and recover a fumble in a 24-10 win against Tampa Bay, ESPNMonday Night Football analyst Joe Theismann put Peppers in rarefied air, comparing him to Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor.

"This is the best way to put in perspective the way we viewed Lawrence, and I think this is the way people should view Julius," Theismann says. "When coaches draw up defenses, they use letters to denote defensive players: 'C' for corner, 'S' for safety, so on. In Washington, we would use letters until it came to Lawrence. For him, we used No. 56, and it was always bigger than everything else. That visually put everything into context, saying, 'This guy is better than anybody else on that board.' "

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/aikman-peppers-is-a-game-changer/http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/aikman-peppers-is-a-game-changer/
Troy Aikman:
For Aikman, the Bears allowing Peppers to attack the middle of an offensive line is reminiscent of one of the greatest defensive linemen in the history of the game he used to play against.

“Going to back to when I was playing, they used to do that, the Philadelphia Eagles did, with Reggie White,” Aikman said. “You think you know where he’s going to be, or you anticipate that he’s going to be here most of the time, but then you know he’s going to move up and down that offensive line until he finds a matchup that he feels good about. That puts some stress on an offense.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ars-pompei-chicago--20111118,0,4836860.columnhttp://articles.chicagotribune.com/...118_1_three-technique-famer-dan-hampton-bears

Dan Hampton:
The Bears' other pass rushers might benefit from Peppers the DT more than Peppers the DE.
"As a defensive end you can affect (only) so much of what happens," Hampton said. "If they turn a guard to you or chip you with a tight end, you're basically going to be a non-factor. But if you're coming up the middle, with his (6-foot-7, 287-pound) frame, it's a force. It's a deal breaker."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/29/hampton-peppers-is-leader-of-defense/http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/29/hampton-peppers-is-leader-of-defense/
Dan Hampton:
“Julius Peppers is the guy, the lead dog that is bringing this group from a mediocre group to a group that is throwing people around” Hampton said. “They were physical. They were relentless…Julius Peppers has been a huge influence on how, maybe, the way they prepare, but [also] the way they’re playing. And that’s the big thing.”

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/18/nfl-all-pro-team/index.htmlhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/01/18/nfl-all-pro-team/index.html
Peter King:
Though Peppers had but eight sacks this year, he had a huge impact on a defense that went from 21st in the league in points allowed in 2009 to fourth this year; from 4.3 yards per rush last year to 3.7 this year; from 29 touchdown passes surrendered last year to 14 this year. He pushes the pocket. He buzzes around the quarterback. He makes other guys -- Israel Idonije, Tommie Harris -- better.There's no question the return of Brian Urlacher at the pivot point of the defense has been a significant addition, but Peppers has been the most important reason the Bears have become the Monsters of the Midway again, and that's why he's my defensive player of the year.
He's the John Stockton of the Bears defense, the guy who makes everyone around him better.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-07-04-top-10-defensive-ends_n.htmhttp://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-07-04-top-10-defensive-ends_n.htm
Deacon Jones:
"Julius Peppers impresses me as much as anyone," Jones says. "He has it all."

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/3656/rexs-favorite-bearhttp://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/3656/rexs-favorite-bear
Rex Ryan:
Of course, I also realize that this guy is the best there is.
"He’s another guy, you can’t throw over him," Ryan said. "That’s what’s so underrated about him. You can try to throw intermediate passes over him ... Well, maybe you can or maybe you can’t. The guy’s wingspan is incredible. His height, wingspan. It’s just incredible how many plays he makes. He’ll bat it down and then he’ll catch it. There’s very few Julius Peppers’ walking the face of this earth."

http://deadspin.com/5611609/brian-urlacher-thinks-http://deadspin.com/5611609/brian-urlacher-thinks-julius-peppers-is-the-best-player-hes-ever-seen
Brian Urlacher:
"I'll say this about Peppers, he's the best football player I've ever seen. He's 300 pounds. He does things DBs are doing. I don't know how we got him, but I'm glad we did."

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic...ulius_peppers_best_player_in_the_nfl/10098634http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5900330
Lovie Smith:
"Julius Peppers is arguably the best player in the NFL, that is what I think. I get a chance to watch him. The things he does, you know, he will very seldom lead the league in sacks because he gets respect always double team, triple team. But he had a heck of a year."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5900330http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5900330
Lovie Smith:
"No doubt, he makes the defense better. We've had great football players here, but this is a special player we're talking about," Smith said.

Bill Belichick:
"You could put him anywhere on the field," Belichick said. "He can play on the front line, he could play linebacker. He could play strong safety. He could play anywhere on the defensive line. He's tall. Richard Seymour was tall and he played there. Put him out at tight end, make a left tackle out of him. I wouldn't want to tackle him if he was carrying the ball. He's a great player."

Tom Brady:
"He's one of the best in the league. He's big, strong, fast, athletic. He's got seven sacks, wreaking havoc," Brady said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4667827/angelos-thoughts-on-lovie-peppers-and-morehttp://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4667827/angelos-thoughts-on-lovie-peppers-and-more
Jerry Angelo:
I think he’s great. I wouldn’t take another defensive player in the league outside of him. He’s a great player. He has impacted our defense. He’s a guy you have to account for. He plays all three downs. Don’t let the sack numbers be the end result of how you measure this guy. He really, truly is a great player. He has been a great leader for us, too, and you can’t minimize the intangibles. I think a big part of why we’ve been playing good defense is intangibly, we’re very, very strong. I’ve got to say this: It starts with him.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02EFD8113DF932A3575BC0A9669D8B63http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B02EFD8113DF932A3575BC0A9669D8B63
Michael Strahan:
Q. Who do you think will break your record of 22.5 sacks in a season?A. DeMarcus Ware is amazing. Julius Peppers is amazing. They look like they can do it.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...cago--20111202_1_peppers-israel-idonije-sacks
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...cago--20111202_1_peppers-israel-idonije-sacks
"Guy is a monster," weak-side linebacker Lance Briggs said.

Offered Idonije: "He literally is throwing guys all over the place. I mean, throwing tackles, tight ends, it doesn't matter who he's lined up against. He has his way with those guys. It's just incredible to watch."

It's the kind of performance that doesn't translate into stat sheets and doesn't even get its proper due on a highlight show.

"The numbers don't talk about what he did," defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. "It was the intensity of the game he played at, the speed. My God, the details of his pass rush. Forget the sacks already. Some of the rushes where the ball came out quick, they were some of the prettiest rushes you'd ever want to see. Just beautiful, the skill, the technique, the work habit, you know? He's starting to really come right now. It ignites everybody else around him."

http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/deep-article-julius-peppers-786596/http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/deep-article-julius-peppers-786596/
Howie Long:
"It's rare when you have the opportunity to see a player who is ahead of his time," said Howie Long, a Hall of Fame defensive end and Fox Sports NFL analyst. "Lawrence Taylor was ahead of his time. Kellen Winslow was ahead of his time. They gave you a snapshot glimpse of what you could see in the future. Julius Peppers is that way."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive end extraordinaire Julius Peppers and the return - 09.05.05 - SI Vault

You could argue that Carolina's best big-play threat last season didn't line up at wide receiver or in the backfield. He was on the defensive line, in the form of 6'7", 290-pound end Julius Peppers. That's part commentary on the injuries that bedeviled the Panthers in 2004--they played most of the season without receiver Steve Smith and running backs Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster--but it also tells you something about Peppers's athleticism. Against Tampa Bay he returned an interception 46 yards for a touchdown; against Atlanta he snatched a Michael Vick fumble out of midair with one hand and went 60 yards for a score; and against Denver he returned an interception 97 yards before being dragged down just short of the goal line. No other Carolina player had as many plays of at least 45 yards.
You could write that off as a case of Peppers's being in the right place at the right time; or, more accurately, you could say that Peppers, who also led Carolina in sacks (11) and forced fumbles (four), is redefining the defensive end position. "I'm always trying to be around the ball, and when it comes out, I'm ready to get it," says Peppers, who in an Aug. 20 preseason game against the Giants was up to his old tricks, sacking Eli Manning, picking up the ball and running 29 yards for a touchdown.
Here's another way that Peppers gets himself ready: When the Panthers do off-season running drills, he doesn't participate with his linemates. Rather, he runs his gassers with the defensive backs. No wonder the coaching staff doesn't hesitate to drop him into pass coverage. "He's a D-back in a D-tackle's body," says fellow lineman Mike Rucker. Defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac says Peppers's big-play abilities are related to his basketball skills. The second pick in the 2002 draft, Peppers played forward for two seasons at North Carolina; it's natural for him to go for the steal and head the other way.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/every-play-counts/2006/every-play-counts-julius-peppershttp://www.footballoutsiders.com/every-play-counts/2006/every-play-counts-julius-peppers

Peppers showed on Sunday that he's not just a good player. He's the best defensive player in the NFL.

He always loved basketball best. But now the time has come - 08.13.01 - SI Vault

Peppers was the best basketball player and among the best football players ever at Southern Nash, where he received so many recruiting letters that he was given his own mail slot in the school office. In basketball he finished his career with more than 1,600 points, 800 rebounds and 200 assists and was heavily recruited by Duke. In football Peppers rushed for 3,501 yards and 46 touchdowns at tailback and manhandled opponents as a defensive lineman. In his final game, when Northeast Guilford High ran a sweep away from Peppers, he chased down the running back, stole the ball from behind and raced 90 yards the other way for a touchdown.
As a senior, Peppers placed second in the triple jump at the state track meet, despite wearing spikes two sizes too small because size 18s couldn't be found. Having watched Big Head swing a bat, Davis believes he could have been a baseball star as well. The coach still shakes his head in disbelief as he recalls a three-hour football practice on a scorching summer day before Peppers's junior season, after which all the other Firebirds lay sprawled on the grass or huddled around the water spigot. Peppers strolled over to one end zone and began doing backflips the length of the field. No hands. For 100 yards. In full pads and helmet.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/20/mmqb/index.htmlhttp://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/12/20/mmqb/index.html

Julius Peppers was Deacon Jones and Lawrence Taylor rolled into one dominant force for four quarters. It's the best I've ever seen Peppers play. I don't care what the stats said -- one sack, three other quarterback hits, one tackle. Peppers was as dominant as a defensive lineman can be. Once, he fought through two blockers, forced Favre to throw a wasted incompletion, and wrapped him up legally and fell atop him, crushing him to the ground. If Favre wasn't thinking, I came back at 40 for this?, when exactly would he ever question his decision to come back for another year?

Peppers' dominance got Bryant McKinnie yanked from the game. (When's the last time you saw a top-10 left tackle get pulled for performance, not being hurt? Ever? I don't recall it.) It forced Brad Childress to put pedestrian Artis Hicks at left tackle, and to keep a back in to chip on Peppers when the game got desperate and the Vikings fell behind in the second half.

"Yeah,'' Favre said, "we were up 7-6 at the time. No secret, I was getting hit a little bit. I felt the pressure on a lot of plays. We had seven points. So I think everyone in the building was like, 'They're not moving the ball. They're not getting points.' Brad wanted to go in a different direction and I wanted to stay in the game. We were up 7-6. Yeah, it's not 70-6, but we're up 7-6.
I'm sure there's plenty of blame to go around, and I'm not saying a quarterback should be so sacred that he should never get yanked from a game. But should a quarterback get yanked if he's got pressure in his face on play after play? Only to protect him from injury?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So someone has to pass Bruce Smith and Prime Time to make your top 10?

Peppers has no shot. Its too late at this point.

Better than Urlacher? Sure. Thats about as far as the party goes.