• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wilfork cut

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....pats are looking to "free-up" some cash for revis/mc courty ,.......Vince will be back for = LE$$,.....thas'all.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....pats are looking to "free-up" some cash for revis/mc courty ,.......Vince will be back for = LE$$,.....thas'all.

I guess I am having some trouble seeing all these vets come back at deals that the Patriots can afford. This is now the 2nd player that is supposed to come at a discount for you guys and big discounts at that. I guess what is your idea of less money mother-marge? To me a discount by a player is maybe 10% for the home team which for Wilfork still puts him at $8 million a year. Considering that is the dead money hit that he brings to the team by resigning him to this price you are looking at maybe $100,000 being cleared in cap space. Now yes I guess he could find the market to not be thinking he is worth the contract he just got out of but what would be considered worth his time to come back for the Patriots?

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....maybe Vince comes back for no more than $2-mill./1-yr. contract.......good luck if he can get more elsewhere,....and I'm being generous/sorry Vince.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he still is good why was he cut? Will they attempt to sign him at a lesser cost?

The Patriots have to work out their situation with Revis and so players with large paychecks coming up are all being scrutinized. I don't know why they didn't renegotiate. Last year Vince asked to be cut rather than re-work his salary. They came to some agreement last year but maybe one or the other or both didn't want to do that again. I think Wilfork still have 1 or 2 good years left but is he worth 8 million?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Patriots have to work out their situation with Revis and so players with large paychecks coming up are all being scrutinized. I don't know why they didn't renegotiate. Last year Vince asked to be cut rather than re-work his salary. They came to some agreement last year but maybe one or the other or both didn't want to do that again. I think Wilfork still have 1 or 2 good years left but is he worth 8 million?
He may not be worth 8 million but he could be signed for a one year deal at the league minimum.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....maybe Vince comes back for no more than $2-mill./1-yr. contract.......good luck if he can get more elsewhere,....and I'm being generous/sorry Vince.

$2 million a year? There are DT/NT that will hit the open market that are about half as good as him still getting $4 million a year. My guess is he will get somewhere in the $6 million a year area.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The plain fact is we are going to have to reduce some salaries. We don't yet have enough cuts made. If he took half - $4 million, and we are able to bring back Revis and McCourty but end up $2 million short? We would have cut him at $4 million. He is an aging veteran - he and Mayo are the correct ones to cut. More honorable to cut him now and let him test the market - if he chooses. If we get our cap in order and make some signings - maybe we can offer him something he can deal with.....

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$2 million a year? There are DT/NT that will hit the open market that are about half as good as him still getting $4 million a year. My guess is he will get somewhere in the $6 million a year area.

He will not get it in New England. Bill Belichick has historically let veterans go one year early rather than one year too late. He learned a valuable lesson when he sign the linebacker from Baltimore, whose name totally slips by me. He was on the roster for three years and didn't do anything.

Wilfork is 34 years old, over 400 lbs and while he had a good year in 2014, he tore that archilles in 2013 when he was a leaner 375 lbs. He's not worth the riskat $6M a year. Oakland or Jacksonville can have him. Maybe the Broncos will sign him, they love Patriot players.

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
........I hope he does "get paid",.......but NOT $6-mill./yr.,....?!,......2-yrs./$6-mill. Seems like the honorable figure,.....he ain't getting a multi-yr. deal at his size/weight/condition....?!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will not get it in New England. Bill Belichick has historically let veterans go one year early rather than one year too late. He learned a valuable lesson when he sign the linebacker from Baltimore, whose name totally slips by me. He was on the roster for three years and didn't do anything.

Wilfork is 34 years old, over 400 lbs and while he had a good year in 2014, he tore that archilles in 2013 when he was a leaner 375 lbs. He's not worth the riskat $6M a year. Oakland or Jacksonville can have him. Maybe the Broncos will sign him, they love Patriot players.

I agree that NE won't pay that for him. that is why I don't think he will be back. I was more arguing with Mothermarge saying he will be back and that he will come back for $2 million a year. It just is not happening. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong and he does but I just can't see it. These guys have quite a bit of pride and taking such a low ball offer is just almost an insult to a player of Wilfork's ability.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read the Patriots are still in play as one of a handful of teams Wilfork is considering now that he's a free agent. As long as it's not stupid money bring the guy back especially now that Revis and Browner are gone.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this afternoon that the NY Jets are trying to sign Wilfork. From the sound of it, he's really not interested in playing for the Jets. Must be an 11 year hatred that he just can't shake. Supposedly, the Colts have called him.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard this afternoon that the NY Jets are trying to sign Wilfork. From the sound of it, he's really not interested in playing for the Jets. Must be an 11 year hatred that he just can't shake. Supposedly, the Colts have called him.

Texans interested. Great place for him on that D.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At this point in his career why would he go to a loser. Notwithstanding the Jets being the Jets anyway. He's not dumb like Revis is.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard last night that the Colts haver made him an offer and he's considering it. When I hear that a former player is "considering" another team's offer, it generally means they've called Belichick to see if he's willing to something close or better. "Considering" to me means that they really want to play for the Patriots and hope that BB will bring them back.