• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Wild VS Sabres - 7:30PM EST - The Return Of Pominville

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calgary threw a big pool party for Iggy in the summer

/fuck me!

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Jeff O'Neill tweeted that the sabres were "classless" because they didnt have some sort of welcome back thing in the rink for Pomminville

i see he deleted that tweet ... was it because they actually did do something for Pomminville or because O'Neill was taking shit for talking out his ass again?

There was strong applause and some appreciative hoots from the crowd when Pominville was announced in the starting lineup. And lots of cheers when he was named as the No. 1 star. But it’s a shame the fans never really got a chance to really salute him.

When the first commercial break took place, the Sabres chose to use the Jumbotron to honor Kevin Porter for playing in his 200th NHL game, of which exactly 37 have been played for Buffalo.

Not a word was said to acknowledge the return of Pominville, a guy who gave a dozen years to the organization. A former captain. A guy who scored one of the most famous overtime playoff goals in franchise history.

The Sabres had a perfect opportunity to be classy. Instead, they were clueless.

Memo to the Sabres: You don’t just announce you’re Hockey Heaven. You act like it too.

No Pominville tribute is Sabres dark moment - Sports - The Buffalo News

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't played back in Calgary yet Boss - I'm sure there will be a full video tribute for him upon his return.

As there should be, he was the heart and soul of the team. Pommers is a good player not a great one. Most of the comments in the News from the fans really didn't have a problem with them not having a big tribute to him. They didn't for Briere or Drury so why Pominville?

One fan wrote this...Let me get this straight, this guy was the captain of a team that underachieved with a wealth of talent and you want to pay a tribute to him? We did. We traded him.

You can read the comments here, some people think they should have and some don't.

Edit: Shit, some of the comments are down right nasty! The fans are just furious with the team and Darcy right now and nothing else matters.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As there should be, he was the heart and soul of the team. Pommers is a good player not a great one. Most of the comments in the News from the fans really didn't have a problem with them not having a big tribute to him. They didn't for Briere or Drury so why Pominville?

One fan wrote this...Let me get this straight, this guy was the captain of a team that underachieved with a wealth of talent and you want to pay a tribute to him? We did. We traded him.

You can read the comments here, some people think they should have and some don't.

Edit: Shit, some of the comments are down right nasty! The fans are just furious with the team and Darcy right now and nothing else matters.

It's bleeding over to other areas too:

TV viewers agree: Sabres unwatchable - Talkin' TV - The Buffalo News

Even the TV writers are taking shots now.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's bleeding over to other areas too:

TV viewers agree: Sabres unwatchable - Talkin' TV - The Buffalo News

Even the TV writers are taking shots now.

Yep, The fans are fucking pissed and I don't blame them. I agree with the, "Rolston may be a good X's and O's coach, but he has a lifeless personality that matches his team's efforts. He is the wrong coach for this team and this town" comment. The guy can put you to sleep. In my rant early in the thread I said Pegula better wake up and fast !!!

I wouldn't pay to watch this crap right now. Miller has a GAA of 2.29 and a SV% of .941 and ZERO wins. You can not ask for more from the goalies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are so quick to throw out the "classless" label these days which is likely the reason O'Neill deleted his tweet. How can you call an organization "classless" that plays both the American and Canadian anthems for each home game regardless of the teams playing? As far as a tribute to Pominville is concerned, it's a tough call. On one hand, sure it would have been nice, but then you run the danger of making it too commonplace. It's likely getting a lot more notice due to the tough start for the Sabres.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are so quick to throw out the "classless" label these days which is likely the reason O'Neill deleted his tweet. How can you call an organization "classless" that plays both the American and Canadian anthems for each home game regardless of the teams playing? As far as a tribute to Pominville is concerned, it's a tough call. On one hand, sure it would have been nice, but then you run the danger of making it too commonplace. It's likely getting a lot more notice due to the tough start for the Sabres.

Sure, It's damned if you do and damned if you don't. It can be over done like Colorado retiring jersey's. You can't please everyone. I know I will sound like a homer but this fan base deserves a lot better right now.

Edit: Dash the part in bold says a lot. That's more of the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, The fans are fucking pissed and I don't blame them. I agree with the, "Rolston may be a good X's and O's coach, but he has a lifeless personality that matches his team's efforts. He is the wrong coach for this team and this town" comment. The guy can put you to sleep. In my rant early in the thread I said Pegula better wake up and fast !!!

I wouldn't pay to watch this crap right now. Miller has a GAA of 2.29 and a SV% of .941 and ZERO wins. You can not ask for more from the goalies.

Yeah, considering that would be a career high SV% and the second best GAA of his career.

Even Enroth has looked pretty good (oddly enough, 24th in both GAA and SV% at 2.65 and .909).

This one goal per game crap isn't going to beat anybody though.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, considering that would be a career high SV% and the second best GAA of his career.

Even Enroth has looked pretty good (oddly enough, 24th in both GAA and SV% at 2.65 and .909).

This one goal per game crap isn't going to beat anybody though.

Very true my friend. I know I'm an older guy and shouldn't take sports so seriously but I swear that watching this team play is killing me. I know they are not great but should be a bit better and frankly if I were Miller and Vanek I would want to get the hell out of here even though I would hate to see them go. You put Vanek on a line with players that have some talent and can get him the puck and he is going to explode and I would bet my life on it. Also Miller is far from washed up he's probably disgusted.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true my friend. I know I'm an older guy and shouldn't take sports so seriously but I swear that watching this team play is killing me. I know they are not great but should be a bit better and frankly if I were Miller and Vanek I would want to get the hell out of here even though I would hate to see them go. You put Vanek on a line with players that have some talent and can get him the puck and he is going to explode and I would bet my life on it. Also Miller is far from washed up he's probably disgusted.

Vanek's not really helping his trade stock at the moment, though I'd wager that, as we approach the deadline, there would still be someone willing to give up a 1st for him, probably as part of a package with some minor components too, similar to last year's Pominville deal.

Miller on the other hand is playing like a goalie who's in a contract and Olympic year. If he keeps this up he'll fetch a nice price at the deadline (or earlier if someone loses their starter) and will likely be looking at a nice new contract.

The Sabres would have to massively overpay to keep either of them here at this point. And I don't think any of the fans blame them for wanting out.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanek's not really helping his trade stock at the moment, though I'd wager that, as we approach the deadline, there would still be someone willing to give up a 1st for him, probably as part of a package with some minor components too, similar to last year's Pominville deal.

Vanek isn't going anywhere this Season. He's going to finish out his last year with the Sabres and then sign with the Wild as a FA.

After this year, Heatley will be a UFA, and the Wild will free up 7.5 mil in cap space to sign Vanek.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vanek isn't going anywhere this Season. He's going to finish out his last year with the Sabres and then sign with the Wild as a FA.

After this year, Heatley will be a UFA, and the Wild will free up 7.5 mil in cap space to sign Vanek.

This makes sense IPW. That is what I think will happen too.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Vanek has an NTC/NMC though, so he may not have a choice where he goes (if anywhere) at the deadline.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Sabres were for all intents and purposes "forced" to match the Oilers offer sheet for Vanek (especially with losing Drury and Briere), but it would have been interesting to see what the team would look like today with those four first round picks if they would have let Vanek go to Edmonton.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Vanek has an NTC/NMC though, so he may not have a choice where he goes (if anywhere) at the deadline.

I know, I'm just taking a guess as to what I think will happen.

Rumor has it that a lot of teams already realize he wants to play for the Wild, so they are backing off from him. No team will give up a 1st or more for a player who won't be happy playing for them, and then sign with the Wild over the Summer.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Sabres were for all intents and purposes "forced" to match the Oilers offer sheet for Vanek (especially with losing Drury and Briere), but it would have been interesting to see what the team would look like today with those four first round picks if they would have let Vanek go to Edmonton.

Yeah, for sure. Obviously the Oilers may have been a better team with Vanek on-board, so the draft picks may not have been as high as they were, but you never know.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, I'm just taking a guess as to what I think will happen.

Rumor has it that a lot of teams already realize he wants to play for the Wild, so they are backing off from him. No team will give up a 1st or more for a player who won't be happy playing for them, and then sign with the Wild over the Summer.

Glen Sather on line 1.

Paul Holmgren on line 2.

Jay Feaster on line 3.

My point only is that we as a collective fan group are always surprised by how much some GMs are willing to give up if they think it will put them over the top.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glen Sather on line 1.

Paul Holmgren on line 2.

Jay Feaster on line 3.

My point only is that we as a collective fan group are always surprised by how much some GMs are willing to give up if they think it will put them over the top.

I think we can agree that the Sabres should have traded hm before the Season even started. They are playing with fire now.