• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why you gotta do that to Acie, Steph?

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kid has game. He's raw but he will be good.

He is a perfect case for a kid that should still be playing college ball.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is a rarity. Its just dumb we do this. 2 or 3 years before pros.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Know what makes me feel old? Baby face Steph is the oldest player on the Warriors.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. There's been a lot of ppl after 1 year of college who looked good in year 1.

The overlooked fact is that a lot of those same people are then in Europe three years later because of the next new thing coming in. Whats the hurry? Most people aren't making life changing money at 19 years old.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The overlooked fact is that a lot of those same people are then in Europe three years later because of the next new thing coming in. Whats the hurry? Most people aren't making life changing money at 19 years old.

I think if you're a predicted lottery pick then you must go. Now if you're a late round 1/early 2nd round pick, thats when you probably should stay in school

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you're a predicted lottery pick then you must go. Now if you're a late round 1/early 2nd round pick, thats when you probably should stay in school

Shouldn't even be an option. Id be open to the mlb rule. There's not a single player from this draft that wouldn't be a much better player at the least with more seasoning.

So again all we are doing is turning over players and having fewer guys qualify for a pension. And making the product in cbb much worse.

So they're out of the league at 22 instead of 24 or 25. Or maybe because they got two to three in college they actually know how to play the game at that level

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is that even some of the lottery picks aren't ready.

They need to get rid of the one and done. If a kid is truly ready for the NBA after high school, then let him enter the draft. If not, then he can go to school. A kid going to school on scholarship for 6 months wastes his time, the schools time and takes a scholarship away from a kid who might actually stick around for 3-4 years.

For a lot of these kids, the problem isn't that their talent isn't ready for the NBA. For most of them, they aren't mature enough.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They need to get rid of the one and done. If a kid is truly ready for the NBA after high school, then let him enter the draft. If not, then he can go to school. A kid going to school on scholarship for 6 months wastes his time, the schools time and takes a scholarship away from a kid who might actually stick around for 3-4 years.

For a lot of these kids, the problem isn't that their talent isn't ready for the NBA. For most of them, they aren't mature enough.

Im fine with that. People with talent like lebron, zion, or kd shouldn't be forced to play 2 or 3 years in college.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's basically a straight from HS kid and his expectations should reflect that. He played 3 games in college.

He's the same age as KG when KG entered the league. Not comparing the two, but their stat lines are on par.

KG at 19:
10.4 Pts, 6.3 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.6 BPG, 1.1 SPG, 49.1% FG, 28.7 MPG

Wiseman at 19:
10.7 pts, 6.0 RPG, 0.4 APG, 1.5 BPG, 0.5 SPG, 48.3% FG, 20.6 MPG

People need to be patient. They heard all the comps, they see the skill set and expect big production. It doesn't work that way. Not everyone can be Lebron coming into the league, or Luka. Even Lamelo has been playing professional ball for a few seasons prior to him entering the league. He was more ready for sure and it's showing. The development of Wiseman will take time, but we all see the potential.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean there's always problems with everything. After Carmelo's freshman season at Syracuse should he have been forced to go back for another season when he was clearly NBA ready? Kyrie only played 8 games in college yet came out and was amazing from day 1.

I think maybe a way around this is instead of forcing the player to have to stay in college multiple years, put into the CBA that any draft pick who enters the league after their first season from College and after completing HS should be forced to play 1 full season in the G-League and not be eligible to PLAY for the NBA team that season. They can practice with them once the season has been completed in the G-League, but for their development the G-League would be a requirement.

I think that's the best way to deal with it, tbh.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean there's always problems with everything. After Carmelo's freshman season at Syracuse should he have been forced to go back for another season when he was clearly NBA ready? Kyrie only played 8 games in college yet came out and was amazing from day 1.

I think maybe a way around this is instead of forcing the player to have to stay in college multiple years, put into the CBA that any draft pick who enters the league after their first season from College and after completing HS should be forced to play 1 full season in the G-League and not be eligible to PLAY for the NBA team that season. They can practice with them once the season has been completed in the G-League, but for their development the G-League would be a requirement.

I think that's the best way to deal with it, tbh.

Agreed.. like I've said a few times now also all this turnover can hurt players chances at a pension, lifetime health insurance etc. So with that the NBA loves the turnover to keep those costs down I imagine. But for the players they are thinking short term and not long.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.. like I've said a few times now also all this turnover can hurt players chances at a pension, lifetime health insurance etc. So with that the NBA loves the turnover to keep those costs down I imagine. But for the players they are thinking short term and not long.

Yeah, plus I don't think you should ever deny someone the opportunity to make a living. A player leaving college after year 1 may need the income to support their families. Right or wrong, the stigma with players who have stayed more than 1 or 2 years is strong. It's why guys like Draymond, Devonte Graham, Malcolm Brogdon, etc. all slipped to the 2nd round over 1 and done guys because of potential.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Find where I said they would be forced to stay? They are forced to go to college right now. I'm saying that if they are good enough to go to the NBA straight from high school, they should be able to. What I also said was that the kid who could go straight from high school is currently taking a scholarship away from a kid who MIGHT actually stick around for 2-3 years.

When players could make the jump straight from high school, we had fewer issues with players getting to the NBA when they weren't ready. The high school kids who were truly ready...guys like Kobe, T-Mac and Lebron, would go into the NBA and everyone else went to college. Most ended up being there at least 2 years.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Find where I said they would be forced to stay? They are forced to go to college right now. I'm saying that if they are good enough to go to the NBA straight from high school, they should be able to. What I also said was that the kid who could go straight from high school is currently taking a scholarship away from a kid who MIGHT actually stick around for 2-3 years.

When players could make the jump straight from high school, we had fewer issues with players getting to the NBA when they weren't ready. The high school kids who were truly ready...guys like Kobe, T-Mac and Lebron, would go into the NBA and everyone else went to college. Most ended up being there at least 2 years.
Sorry was mixing in your post with a few others in here who mentioned 2-3 years.

YourFriendGannon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't even be an option. Id be open to the mlb rule. There's not a single player from this draft that wouldn't be a much better player at the least with more seasoning.

So again all we are doing is turning over players and having fewer guys qualify for a pension. And making the product in cbb much worse.

So they're out of the league at 22 instead of 24 or 25. Or maybe because they got two to three in college they actually know how to play the game at that level
This is such mythology. There would be more Hassan Whiteside's, Anthony Parker's, and Charlie Bell's who matured overseas then revitalized their NBA careers if this mirage existed. In fact, players like this in the last several years have become exceedingly unheard of. If you fall out of the league in your early 20s and aren't picked up within a year, your NBA career and chances of being in a rotation were usually going to be over anyway. Player development has gotten better, and if a player is drafted in a far from ideal developmental scenario, the market usually takes care of that with the second, third, fourth chances that some get.

I'm not aware of any data on more recent drafts but it was certainly the case in the first decade of the 21st century that relative to draft slot, the older more experienced college players were worse value. Now college seniors are almost never taken in the first round, in part because scouting has also improved where players get better advice that is mutually beneficial to them and NBA teams. This has been the case since 2015 when there were 15 one-and-done entrants drafted, a threshold cleared every year since. Seniors fucking suck at the NBA.

And it used to be that players picked in the early lotto were NEVER sent to the G-League whereas now we see it more commonly as an option. Covid, of course, is interfering with some of those logistics this season. This too only gets better the closer it comes to resembling an actual minor league.

As long as small market teams can realistically keep a star they draft in the first round a minimum of 8 years which seems to be functioning now thanks to rookie scales and bird rights, I don't see a problem if some of them enter the league pretty raw. As for colleges, the rate of transfers is so high anyway so the product is a shitshow anyhow. It's generally good IMO if players who might go in the second round decide to leave when they would otherwise transfer.