• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Russell Wilson's megadeal may not be coming as quickly as we think

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right. I swore I read somewhere that a full guarenteed contract would be a much less cap hit then a normal contract for a QB. Oh well, I just want this contract done soon.
Maybe the context of what you read is that in exchange for a near or 100% guaranteed deal, RW may take an overall lesser total dollar amount... which could end up being a lesser cap hit (but all dollars still count). Just think about some of these other contacts that have bigger overall numbers (avg per year) but backloaded so a lot of that money ends up being iteratively pushed down the road as time goes on and teams get close to having to pay it. The contract actually ends up being less than what the original # was because the player gets cut or the teams get the player to add more years to the end (restructure) before that last big season or 2 is paid out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be in so far as the player is much, much more likely to take a contract for 6/90 when he knows for a fact that he will see all 90; as opposed to, say, 6/120 where the last several years may, or may, be paid out.

When comes to QBs like Russell Wilson. I doubt they worry much about the guarantees, the chances of them getting cut is close to zero. Insurance can take care of the rest if they are the type to worry.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When comes to QBs like Russell Wilson. I doubt they worry much about the guarantees, the chances of them getting cut is close to zero. Insurance can take care of the rest if they are the type to worry.

Touche.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m hearing he could play out his final year of his rookie contract... Obviously the numbers aren't where they want to be right now... Interesting...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They haven't been afraid to negotiate and get contracts done while the season is still going on, and if that's what it takes, that's what it takes. I'm not worried about it. He wants to stay and they want him to stay. It would be mutually beneficial for them to get something done. In his case, it's the best chance to get the money he's looking for and still have a chance to win right away/repeatedly. In the team's case, it would make no sense for them to make all the moves they've made, re-sign the players they've re-signed and trade for a guy like Graham, only to start over at quarterback next year. Besides, these are some of the same media guys who were convinced that Lynch was more likely to retire this offseason than sign a multi-year extension. If they're talking about the Seahawks, there's a good chance they're making stuff up or guessing.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah just another false alarm. I can't help myself, I search for every scrap of news related to Wilson being extended. I just wish they would get it done already.

I think the issue with this situation is that every reporter in the country (especially the NW) wants to be the one to break the story. They're grasping at straws trying to get the jump on everyone else.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not much worried about it and I suspect that they will get a deal done this off season. Maybe after the draft. Maybe before. Who knows that but they aren't holding onto to this much cap space without a game plan.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m hearing they could let him play his rookie contract out and then franchise tag him next year... WOW, that tell's me the two sides must be kinda far apart right now...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I"m hearing they could let him play his rookie contract out and then franchise tag him next year... WOW, that tell's me the two sides must be kinda far apart right now...
We're hearing all sorts of stuff though, and much of it doesnt sound similar. To me, it doesnt fit what this FO has done with other big names on the team to think they're going to let this ride into a franchise tag scenario. Also, if you look at the timing of when Sherman and ET were extended last off-season, we're way too early to be worrying about much at this point.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're hearing all sorts of stuff though, and much of it doesnt sound similar. To me, it doesnt fit what this FO has done with other big names on the team to think they're going to let this ride into a franchise tag scenario. Also, if you look at the timing of when Sherman and ET were extended last off-season, we're way too early to be worrying about much at this point.
I hope your right. I get worried that Russell could be shooting for the moon, he's been under paid by a lot the last three three years, so now it's his time to score. Just hoping he isn't going for some record breaking OMG contract.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope your right. I get worried that Russell could be shooting for the moon, he's been under paid by a lot the last three three years, so now it's his time to score. Just hoping he isn't going for some record breaking OMG contract.

That's exactly what I was thinking... We've had him at a bargain price the last 3 years, He's gonna want to get paid... Hopefully his agent and Russ don't shoot for the moon like your saying... I'm sure he's gonna be set for life regardless, but let's not crippled our cap doing it .... Love the guy though, my favorite QB in Seahawks history... BY far...

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously there have been players in various sports who have said, "It's not about the money" and then gone on to ask for, and often get, ridiculous amounts of money, usually from another team. Some of those players even seemed like the type who wouldn't do that, but with that being said... Does anyone honestly believe that Russell Wilson, the guy who is so team-first that he finishes every interview he can with "Go Hawks!" and deflects as much praise as he can to his teammates and coaches, would look for a salary that would cripple the team's ability to contend for and win championships for the foreseeable future? The most likely outcome of that scenario would be the eventual gutting of the roster and almost certain cliff dive in the standings that would follow. Knowing how much Russell wants to win, I think that's an outcome he'll want to avoid. It is his agent's job to get as much as he can for Wilson, but he works for Russell, not the other way around. If he tells his agent to take a deal that still pays him well, but doesn't obliterate the cap in the process, that's what'll happen.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I love how the media is obsessing about his 3rd round rookie pay right now. The guy is already making millions via endorsements from everything from insurance to Alaska airlines. He's clearing over 5 mil a year right now from those endorsement deals. Yet the media acts like he's got to be begging the vets for lunch money. His success, thanks to the Seahawks organization, has already put millions into his bank account.

Honestly, if he and his agent are going to demand making him the highest paid QB in the league, they can both go take a fucking hike. And I don't see that happening. All parties know where they stand. Something will get worked out soon, but I hope it's not a death blow to this teams superbowl window.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how the media is obsessing about his 3rd round rookie pay right now. The guy is already making millions via endorsements from everything from insurance to Alaska airlines. He's clearing over 5 mil a year right now from those endorsement deals. Yet the media acts like he's got to be begging the vets for lunch money. His success, thanks to the Seahawks organization, has already put millions into his bank account.

Honestly, if he and his agent are going to demand making him the highest paid QB in the league, they can both go take a fucking hike. And I don't see that happening. All parties know where they stand. Something will get worked out soon, but I hope it's not a death blow to this teams superbowl window.

Yeah you don't want to totally cripple the entire team... I doubt Russ would want to do that... He wants more shots at titles... He deserving of a big pay day though, just not absurdly ridiculous ... I don't think we've seen the best of Russell Wilson yet so far.... He could get scary good over the next couple years, especially if we get him some good targets... Graham was a step in the right direction... Let's not stop there...

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article by Larry Stone about the Wilson situation.

I think I’ve got this Russell Wilson contract business down pat now.

He’s very close to a new deal, unless he decides to play out this year on his existing rookie contract and test free agency.

He’s willing to give the Seahawks a hometown discount, unless he becomes the highest-paid quarterback in NFL history. And all his money could be guaranteed, unless it isn’t.

Talks, by the way, haven’t even started, or the two sides have had “great talks,’’ as Pete Carroll said Tuesday at the NFL meetings.

It’s not surprising that speculation is all over the map on a contract that will be closely scrutinized across the sports landscape. That’s the way it is to be in our new world, with its insatiable hunger for news bytes — and the bigger the story, the more ravenous the hunger.

But here’s a not-so-bold prediction: Despite all the conflicting information and inevitable posturing, and despite the complexity of the task, Wilson’s contract extension will get done.

The Seahawks are not going to let their franchise quarterback walk away. That’s unthinkable. They’re not even going to let him get to the doorway and gaze at the landscape.

Yeah, they have the exclusive franchise tag in their back pocket to ensure Wilson doesn’t go anywhere, but that comes with nasty salary-cap ramifications. And besides, that’s not the kind of tone you want to set with your marquee player.

So no matter what you may hear about Wilson’s willingness to bet on himself and play this year on his existing deal, or the Seahawks’ challenge at fitting such a lucrative contract under the salary cap, look for an eventual meeting of the minds. There’s still plenty of time, and both sides have too many reasons to get it done.

This is where the Seahawks excel: at finding creative solutions to nettlesome problems such as this. No doubt Wilson’s camp will be looking to walk away with a deal that in some form — guaranteed money, total payout, signing bonus — will be the most lucrative ever for a quarterback. The Seahawks, in turn, will be looking to walk away with a cap situation that doesn’t completely hamstring them from making subsequent maneuvers.

General manager John Schneider already has discussed thinking outside the box when it comes to drawing up the Wilson contract; they might try to re-imagine the box itself in this case.

But for those few who still cling to the belief that Wilson hasn’t proven his elite status, and that it would be better in the long run to spend that money elsewhere, well, I’m convinced the Seahawks aren’t willing to test that theory.

Speaking of areas in which the Seahawks excel, the Schneider/Carroll regime is entering a period that will test them like nothing before. Beyond working out the intricate deal for Wilson, they are facing a draft in barely over a month (April 30) that will be crucial in replenishing their talent.

For the past three years, the Seahawks have been bestowed a stunning gift — a franchise quarterback being paid a bargain-basement salary. Wilson has earned a composite $2.2 million in that span — less than the Mariners will pay utilityman Willie Bloomquist for the 2015 season.

That, coupled with other underpaid young stars, has helped the Seahawks form a roster that led them to two consecutive Super Bowls. Everyone knew they’d eventually have to pay up, and the time has come. New deals already have been given to Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor and others, with pacts for Wilson and Bobby Wagner looming.

The NFL simply is not structured for perpetual success with the same personnel. But there’s a way around that — keep unearthing the hidden gems and undervalued talent that will allow them to keep flourishing, even with an increasingly top-heavy salary structure. The failure to do so has derailed many a would-be dynasty in the salary-cap era.

It’s asking a lot of Schneider and Carroll to keep finding the Brandon Browners and Chris Matthews in Canada, the Richard Shermans and Kam Chancellors in the fifth round, the Doug Baldwins and Jermaine Kearses as undrafted free agents. Or Russell Wilsons in the third round, for that matter.

Oh, the Seahawks will be fine for now, with so many front-line stars locked up for the near future. But to keep this moving forward in the manner they envision — win forever — they’re going to have to keep the talent pool ever-churning.

Which is why Schneider was so excited this week to find out the Seahawks will get the maximum four compensatory picks in the upcoming draft. That gives them a total of 11, more than any team.

For Schneider, that’s like winning the lottery. He and his scouts have excelled at finding dynamic players in the middle and late rounds of the draft.

In a world in which Russell Wilson is not woefully underpaid, that skill is more vital than ever.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of "outside the box" thinking, should they choose to go that route, I wonder what they are allowed to agree to and what they aren't allowed to agree to that doesn't involve monetary compensation. In other words, beyond his salary, I wonder what kinds of things they could include in his contract that would save the Seahawks some cash while still making it clear how important Wilson is to the organization. My guess is that a promise of a post-retirement ownership stake is frowned up and frankly, at his age and with this contract not likely to be his last one, it might be premature to talk about that even if the league would allow it. Maybe an opportunity for a post-retirement career somewhere in the organization? A promised donation by the organization to a charity or charities of his choosing? A standing agreement to restructure if and whenever necessary to avoid cap issues?

What do you guys think? What kind of "outside the box" stuff could they realistically include in this thing?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will all about the guarantee....and it will happen in April.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will all about the guarantee....and it will happen in April.
Seriously why would guarantees matter to a player that isn't going to be cut , short of falling off a cliff?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously why would guarantees matter to a player that isn't going to be cut , short of falling off a cliff?

The future is uncertain and he plays in a violent sport. The guarantee is the assurance getting paid in full.
If he signs a 7 yr/$125M/$65M guaranteed the minimum he will get is essentially the $65M. Sign a 6 yr/$90M fully guaranteed gets him an extra $25M...guaranteed.
Of course if he signed a 7/125/65 we all would hope and expect him to fulfill his contract and to sign a final 6 year deal to retire a Seahawk.
God forbid but sometimes a players health derails that from happening.
There is not much else that I can think of that would be considered out of the box because any favors on the side and off the books would be prohibited.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“In terms of my contract, I don’t really talk about that kind of stuffI love the game of football. I love playing the game of football. I try to put my best foot forward and I want to be the best to ever play the game. That’s the way I look at it. I’ve been fortunate enough to win a lot of games at such a young age and to be able to play with some great guys and have some great comeback wins and win a Super Bowl, and go to back to back Super Bowls. It’s been special. So that’s what I focus on. I focus on the next opportunity that I have. The rest will come. I believe God is going to bless me. I don’t know what’s going to happen, but I trust always. And I trust it’s going to work out the way it’s supposed to.” - Russell Wilson