• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why Oregon fans will never get it

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First time??

until 1967 Oregon played at Hayward Field (Oregon's legendary track and field facility) when a Portland lumberman donated the money for Autzen.
81 a $650,000 meeting room complex, the Donald Barker Stadium Club, was constructed on the east rim above the end zone. The addition gave the stadium its first meeting facilities.
In 1988, a $2.3 million renovation built a new press box on the south side of the stadium and converted the original north side press box to luxury suits
1991 Oregon opens the Casanova Center served as locker rooms and medical treatment center and offices.
1998 Moshofsky center housing Oregons indoor practice field which converts to batting cages for baseball and softball as well as an indoor driving range for golf.
In 2002, a $90 million facelift and expansion added seating and luxury boxes to the south sideline, bringing the stadium seating capacity up to its current level.
2013 football performance center (the new facility being posted)
but yeah THIS is the FIRST time. good call.

By "first time" I meant the last 10 years of building. So really the 2002 number you mentioned. You can't honestly be comparing $90 million to $2 million or $600,000?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So tradition for Michigan is winning no national titles while Schembechler was at the helm. What a joke.

Actually no, Bo always viewed big ten titles as the primary goal. Which he accomplished quite well. Even up through the 90's, the "national title" was not as important of a goal as it is today because it was voted on. For a long while it was arbitrarily awarded prior to the bowl season.

In fact, Bo was never a fan
Mythical national championship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical."

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Schembechler arrived at Michigan, the facilities were terrible. The team was getting dressed in the bleachers at the basketball facility. You know what Bo said, "You see that rusty nail right there? Fielding Yost hung his hat on that rusty nail! We've got tradition here! Michigan tradition! And that's something no one else has!"

Oregon will never be able to buy national titles or the history that makes a great program.

:agree::suds::agree:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually no, Bo always viewed big ten titles as the primary goal. Which he accomplished quite well. Even up through the 90's, the "national title" was not as important of a goal as it is today because it was voted on. For a long while it was arbitrarily awarded prior to the bowl season.

"If there are any Big Ten teams that shoot for a national championship, they're damn fools...You play to win the Big Ten championship, and if you win it and go to the Rose Bowl and win it, then you've had a great season. If they choose to vote you number one, then you're the national champion. But a national champion is a mythical national champion, and I think you guys ought to know that. It's mythical."

You'd be surprised how many times #1 actually played #2.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:bullshit:

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Bo's Rose Bowl record? Didn't USC pretty much own his ass? Legit question here, I really don't remember

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, since we are comparing Michigan to Oregon, with all the money they've thrown at the athletic department, remind me again how many national titles they've won.

That's what I thought.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Bo's Rose Bowl record? Didn't USC pretty much own his ass? Legit question here, I really don't remember

Unfortunatly you are correct sir, Bo had far from a stellar bowl record.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It wasn't great, that's for sure.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is actually correct with that one. Bo always preached big ten title and rose bowl. The NC really did ruin a lot of traditions in college football where the idea was never crown just one champion in a game determined in part by opinion/votes. IMO the NC will always be kinda meh until a tournament is put in place. It's always seemed like a ratings ploy more than an honest way to name the best of the best. In MI the big ten title and Rose Bowl was always the end all be all.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is actually correct with that one. Bo always preached big ten title and rose bowl. The NC really did ruin a lot of traditions in college football where the idea was never crown just one champion in a game determined in part by opinion/votes. IMO the NC will always be kinda meh until a tournament is put in place. It's always seemed like a ratings ploy more than an honest way to name the best of the best. In MI the big ten title and Rose Bowl was always the end all be all.

Which is why the Pac12 and Big 10 has been pushing against a CFB playoff, thus changing the Rose Bowl, for quite some time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never been a big fan of the NC. Too many teams have been fucked out of it because personal opinion (dare I say bias) has been such a large factor in determining who plays who. Now that same mentality has carried over to the BCS. When was the last time we all thought the BCS match ups made perfect sense? Ever?

But I get it.

It's immature and obnoxious to mock MI and/or Nebraska fans who like to claim that NC. Both teams went unbeaten that year. WTF else do you want? Why can't they share it? Who cares? The BCS has sadly instilled this mentality in the younger generation that if your team wasn't the last one standing, everyone else is shitty. Such a ratings ploy and people get all wrapped up in it. Congrats to Nebraska on that unbeaten year. They were awesome that season. So was MI. Why is that so hard to live with for some fans?

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ohiostatechamps10pf-1.jpg

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm calling BS on the notion that NC are only mythical and don't matter. Going for conference titles is nothing new, but the whole "mythical championship" crap is and always has been bullshit.

A tourney will solve nothing as the 5th and 6th place teams will all cry they should have been the 4th team in etc. Whatever team gets in the 4th spot is going to "biased because of ESPN".

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm calling BS on the notion that NC are only mythical and don't matter. Going for conference titles is nothing new, but the whole "mythical championship" crap is and always has been bullshit.

A tourney will solve nothing as the 5th and 6th place teams will all cry they should have been the 4th team in etc. Whatever team gets in the 4th spot is going to "biased because of ESPN".

I don't know if it's mythical but it's certainly flawed. Totally agree on the second point. 8 teams minimum or GTFO. Anything else will always leave the end result open for endless debate.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you might not care - but that doesn't make the point any less true. Shouldn't it say something that even with Oregon's facilities, and even with a team that's been consistently winning for the past 8 years Michigan is still able to out-recruit them? Why stop at Michigan, Clemson, FSU, Georgia, Texas - the list goes on. While it has improved their recruiting classes and while they have jumped into the top 10 class rankings here or there - there's still something missing at the school. It's the same thing that allows Michigan to go 3-9 and pull in top 10 recruiting classes. It's the same thing that's allowed ND to recruit so well while sucking for 20 years. The fact is, tradition matters.

You don't read very well. I said that tradition is great. And it is what allows UM to cycle back up. But that has nothing to do with Oregon who has been one of the most exciting programs of the last decade, while UM is mired in mediocrity. Nor does UM's tradition make you any less of a gas bag for feeling you have to come on here and "knock them down a notch." You would think that with all your "tradition" you would be confident your program would come back. Instead we see your Oregon envy get your panties in a twist. I think Oregon is good for the game ... at this stage in college football, certainly more so in the past decade that UM.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They didn't really matter like they do today. CFB has certainly changed and it's been made the primary focus. My grandpa used to talk about the 40's national titles and always talked about how the national titles didn't really mean much at the time. Especially because the first one Michigan got was awarded prior to the bowl games. It was kind of like an added bonus to a great season but it certainly wasn't viewed the same.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't read very well. I said that tradition is great. And it is what allows UM to cycle back up. But that has nothing to do with Oregon who has been one of the most exciting programs of the last decade, while UM is mired in mediocrity. Nor does UM's tradition make you any less of a gas bag for feeling you have to come on here and "knock them down a notch." You would think that with all your "tradition" you would be confident your program would come back. Instead we see your Oregon envy get your panties in a twist. I think Oregon is good for the game ... at this stage in college football, certainly more so in the past decade that UM.

I fully expect Michigan to continue being Michigan - that includes winning the big ten, beating OSU and winning national titles (as we've done through our entire history). As I said, Michigan might have had a few bad seasons but minor in comparison to what most programs experience. No team can be good forever without having a few issues along the way.

My team affiliation didn't make me want to knock Oregon fans back into reality, it was the constant posting by fans and by places like ESPN bragging about uniforms and facilities that made me want to do so. I'm not insecure or jealous at all about what they have because, as I've stated in this thread, most major schools have exactly what they have or better. The fact is, Oregon is just the new flashy team around town. They may be good for a few years but I just don't' expect it to last.

Oregon is no more good for college football than the next Transformers movie is to the film industry.