• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why did 11 - 1 Alabama get picked over 12 - 1 Wisconsin?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the reason they were left out in 2014, along with Ohio St blowing out Wisconsin. A quality win for either of the top2 Big12 teams would have likely made a difference.

If Alabama had this years resume in 2014, Alabama wouldn't even have been in the discussion.
I totally disagree. Baylor and TCU didn't/don't have the cache tOSU does. They could have beaten another Big 12 team in a Big 12 CCG in 2014 just as bad as Ohio State beat Wisconsin and Ohio State would still have gotten in. Baylor and TCU don't move then national needle. Now, if it had been Purdue or Illinois winning the B1G, that's another issue.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prove you are among the best teams in the country.

Why do people keep acting like they don't know how this is done? The entire history of college football since 1936 has been about proving you deserve to be the national champion. Suddenly, we go to a 4 game playoff and nobody knows how to make it?

Play a quality schedule and win. Don't get blown out by anyone, much less an unranked team. And if you lose, realize you just lost control of things and you sit and watch to see if/hope everyone else fucks up more.
And you do that by winning ALL your games?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And why not? They didn't play you, nor anyone on your schedule. You may think that you would've beat every team on their schedule, but there is no factual evidence to prove that. It all comes down to your opinion.

The evidence has already been presented in that there is only one undefeated FBS team and yet they aren't a part of the playoff. I could see if they were one of 5 undefeated teams, then you break it down based on SOS, but there is no evidence (as you put it) that would factually prove that any of the 4 playoff teams would've went undefeated with UCF's schedule. Do I think that would've been the case? Yes, but that is my opinion and not based on fact.

What are the objective metrics required to get into the playoffs? None have been presented, and thus, it is fundamentally flawed based on human bias.

Again, just because you don't see a problem with the status quo, it doesn't mean there isn't an underlying flaw. I personally don't care which team is vying for the 4th spot this year, as VT was well outside of any consideration. Without any objective metrics to base the playoffs on, then it will always be flawed. There is no denying that, no matter how hard you try.
Shut up stupid.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree. Baylor and TCU didn't/don't have the cache tOSU does. They could have beaten another Big 12 team in a Big 12 CCG in 2014 just as bad as Ohio State beat Wisconsin and Ohio State would still have gotten in. Baylor and TCU don't move then national needle. Now, if it had been Purdue or Illinois winning the B1G, that's another issue.

Claims of committee bias are baseless and without evidence. Correlation doesn't equal causation. If that was the case, Ohio St would have made it in over Alabama this year.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claims of committee bias are baseless and without evidence. Correlation doesn't equal causation. If that was the case, Ohio St would have made it in over Alabama this year.
It is not a bias. It is a fact that tOSU has more cache and moves the national needle a hell of a lot more than Baylor or TCU.

Now, if we are talking Women's basketball, it is Baylor that moves the national needle more than tOSU. Those are facts, not bias.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An 8 team playoff would not lessen controversy. You are still going to have teams on the fringe of the 8 that feel screwed. I'm fine with 8 bc it means more big time football at the end of the year but let's not act like it still wouldn't come down to some sort of beauty contest
Of course there will still be outrage from the #9 and 10 ranked teams, but it would be much less. Also, it would pretty much solve the conference championship issue.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of them.
None of 'em did that and only Bama and Georgia didn't lose to an unranked team. Clem and OU both lost to unranked teams...one of 'em to a four win team.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not a bias. It is a fact that tOSU has more cache and moves the national needle a hell of a lot more than Baylor or TCU.

Now, if we are talking Women's basketball, it is Baylor that moves the national needle more than tOSU. Those are facts, not bias.

Correlation does not equal causation.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of 'em did that and only Bama and Georgia didn't lose to an unranked team. Clem and OU both lost to unranked teams...one of 'em to a four win team.

Yep, so they lost control of their destiny and the only reason anyone is going is because other teams lost as well.

What's the hard part to understand?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correlation does not equal causation.
So, you think TCU and Baylor move the national needle as much as tOSU?

If that's the case, I can't even have a sensible discussion.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you think TCU and Baylor move the national needle as much as tOSU?

If that's the case, I can't even have a sensible discussion.

No I don't. Nothing you said was false.

But correlation does not equal causation. Meaning, just because what you said is true does not mean it is the reason for the selection.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, so they lost control of their destiny and the only reason anyone is going is because other teams lost as well.

Now this makes sense. But, it still isn't "Win 'em all" as some claim. A team doesn't have to win 'em all to get in. Just win more and be better than the others.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I don't. Nothing you said was false.

But correlation does not equal causation. Meaning, just because what you said is true does not mean it is the reason for the selection.
And it doesn't mean it isn't the reason for the selection either.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's easy to understand. Claiming teams have to win 'em ALL to go is what is hard to understand because that isn't the case every year. In fact, teams can lose to unranked teams and still go...but only some years.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this makes sense. But, it still isn't "Win 'em all" as some claim. A team doesn't have to win 'em all to get in. Just win more and be better than the others.

Win them all is your goal for the season.

You play a quality schedule, basically your conference and a good OOC opponent. Or if G5, your conference and minimum 1 top5 type team(with some help like Alabama this year), or 2 top10-15 type teams etc, similar to what you find in most P5 conferences.

And then you win them. If you lose, then you see what's left.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it doesn't mean it isn't the reason for the selection either.

But there is evidence that shows why Ohio St was selected. They had the 1 loss at the start of the year and then kicked the crap out of everyone and go stronger as the year went on.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,977.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you earn it? Win all your games? We have four teams in this year that DIDN'T win all their games.
They sucked a little less than everyone else.

I never said, nor suggested that ONLY undefeated teams should be in a playoff so your point is? I keep it simple and people keep trying to turn it into something weird.

Win your games. If you lose one don't lost to a scrub and don't get curb stomped, but any loss takes the things you can control out of your hands. It isn't over, but you have to work hard to earn that top 4. That's how you earn it. Those 4 earned that honor. Are we really supposed to cry over which team should have been 4th most deserving? I think it's just silly to even suggest it.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,977.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who claimed that?

Because if you are talking about me I'd very much like you to post that quote. I've never in my life said only undefeated teams belong as a champion. Which is what you are claiming here.

Why do so many try to bastardize something stated so simply?

Win every game, or don't cry over your ranking and inclusion/exclusion in a playoff. You lost the one thing you had control over and no longer have the right to bitch. Winning isn't subjective. Deciding which loss is worse or how's quality wins are better is and once you have lost ANY game you are in that arena.