• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who's installing Windows 10 when available later this month?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problems with 8 are the default self windowed modern apps that punish mouse users. I can't stand the modern version of any app that has both.

10 fixes that. Those apps now can run windowed and are much more mouse friendly.
Yeah, I learned quickly that the 'app' version of programs sucked. So I just don't use them. The few that are useful I use, otherwise I just boot to desktop mode and don't deal with the tiles. After I reluctantly switched to widows 8 when I got a new computer a couple years ago I quickly learned all the hate came from people who were just against giving it a chance to begin with...

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please explain mouse users punishment, I use both, and ctrl shortcuts.
There are many, many examples of apps that the 'modern' example is kept very simple to be more touch friendly. They are devoid of the menus and settings options.

And keep in mind, if you found value in using 8 with touch then awesome! But most of us don't have touch on our PC's and were forced to use adaptive mouse instead which is awkward.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are many, many examples of apps that the 'modern' example is kept very simple to be more touch friendly. They are devoid of the menus and settings options.

And keep in mind, if you found value in using 8 with touch then awesome! But most of us don't have touch on our PC's and were forced to use adaptive mouse instead which is awkward.

You hit the nail on the head my friend. If you don't have touch screen computer, you miss out on all the 8 features and it would be a bad interface, your worst nightmare. My "cheap" Acer lap is about two years old, pre-installed 8, and works like a dream with business software. Just my opinion.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negative ghost rider.

Not even a little bit.

10 is the base of the LAST OS. You can't skip it and wait for the next one. There is no next one. Ever. They will just keep adding things/upgrading things to this one from this point forward.

This OS very much follows suit on all of theirs over at least the last 20 years where every other OS release is worth having. 95, ME, and Vista were just horrible OS's that should never have been. 8 wasn't much better due to their forcing desktop users to try to be tablet interface users, but they did fix the problems and left a stable OS, unlike those other 3.

Go look at the screen shots of 10. There is no confusing 'modern' interface toggle BS. The live tiles are added to the start button which acts just like your trusty old 7 version. If you don't like/want the tiles then don't use them and your machine will feel/work pretty much just exactly like 7.

It takes them a long time to listen to their customer feedback and fix the things that piss us off the most, but 10 very much is to 8 what 7 was to vista.

Those of you saying you will stay with 7 are simply pissing into the wind. I'm not talking about the folks that want to delay getting 10, but the ones that say they just won't get it at all. You aren't paying attention. The EOL for 7 is going to be here quite fast. They are going to prematurely drop support for it. Same with 8. And in exchange they are flat out giving you 10 for nothing as long as you get it within a year. A full freaking year.

You will get 10. You really won't have an option. Once all of the dust settles and the OS proves to be stable and you hear the feedback on it you will get it. It's better than 8. It's better than 7. And it's free.

When my government computer dumps windows 7, I'll upgrade to the same at home......

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys like to argue Fords and Chevy's now?

Now that's a good one. This type of question is so much more deep. It digs beyond the surface of appearance. Personally, I'll take a bimmer and see you on the road :thumb:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that's a good one. This type of question is so much more deep. It digs beyond the surface of appearance. Personally, I'll take a bimmer and see you on the road :thumb:

FunnyAccident1.jpg

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will stick with X-Windows and skip Windows X altogether.

I've been typing "startx" for about a decade now...

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hit the nail on the head my friend. If you don't have touch screen computer, you miss out on all the 8 features and it would be a bad interface, your worst nightmare. My "cheap" Acer lap is about two years old, pre-installed 8, and works like a dream with business software. Just my opinion.
Man, I have sporadic back issues, and can't be leaning forward repeatedly to touch the screen. I'd heard some of the same things you're saying here, and didn't want W8 because of that. I can see how it would work better with a laptop, though.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a laptop that is touch, but I don't use it for much more than programming routers and whatnot on job sites. Of course I've used touch with 8 and it's ok, but even then I still prefer the old versions of apps because I'm a tech from way back and I can't stand when they take settings and options away.

The real issue is they expected, no demanded, that EVERYONE including business PC users modernize and learn to embrace touch or suffer the learning curve of adapting to mice on apps meant for touch. It was a big mistake. 10 is proof of that since you can now window those modern apps and skip the touch interface altogether. Thank goodness for it too.
Would you guys like to argue Fords and Chevy's now?
I made no such 'opinion' based posts here. I've done nothing but given the facts about 10, and what 7 and 8 really are/were. When you say those who liked 7 won't like 10 and those who liked 8 will I really have to correct that because there may be others that haven't looked into 10 that will be turned off by that false statement.

I also said you won't stay on 7. That may be a bit of an opinion, but an educated one. MS is changing the rules in the middle of the game. You won't end up being stupid and ignoring a free upgrade when doing so might render your current PC vulnerable to attacks when they prematurely abandon it. Those staying with MS based OS's really won't have a choice. You can put it off for 9 months, but you will eventually upgrade to it. There really is no other option outside of moving to apple or Linux. End of story.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have 7 on my laptop. How long can I keep it?

family member has 8, and I dont like it. Maybe if I used it everyday, I would adjust. But I like to be able to quickly find shit, and when I'm using that 8, I sometimes sit there staring at it like it's some alien language that I will never comprehend.

You'll adjust.

It's like getting a new keyboard or mouse. Even when they are high quality parts they feel weird and awkward when you first use them. But before you know it, anything other than them will start to feel weird and awkward.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then install it. As long as it doesn't crash often, I'll be fine with the changes.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those who really gave 8.1 a chance would argue it does a great job of giving you what you want AND makes keeping your desktop cleaner MUCH MUCH MUCH easier.

Right click over the 8.1 button gives you access to the stuff you actually use often. Faster to get to them.
Those complaining about the live tile modern apps page really haven't spent the hour or two needed to learn why it works well and how to get the most out of it. Mine is fully customized with all of the apps I use and are organized in groups for super easy finding. Way more organized than folders in the old start bar. And as soon as that modern apps page is up if you start typing out the name of a file/program/anything it instantly shows you results. Getting to those seldom used features takes no more than 5 to 6 keys to spell enough for it to show up.
All of that means you never have to have app links on your desktop. My 7 desktops had dozens of icons on them and ALL of my 8 boxes have maybe 5 or 6 at most and generally just the stuff I'm working on right now so I don't forget them.

Thanks. Never knew about this. In all honesty after I got use to 8 it's not bad, it's great considering wife was running Vista prior too 8.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I learned quickly that the 'app' version of programs sucked. So I just don't use them. The few that are useful I use, otherwise I just boot to desktop mode and don't deal with the tiles. After I reluctantly switched to widows 8 when I got a new computer a couple years ago I quickly learned all the hate came from people who were just against giving it a chance to begin with...
I have 8 on my desktop. I don't think I have ever used the tile interface outside of day 1 trying to get used to it. It isn't bad at all by any stretch. I like being able to put my cursor in the corner to search for something if I need to. My only complaint is that Microsoft One Note is always somehow the default printer option even though I've never used and I honestly have no idea what it does.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I can't even get the fing calendar to do what I want in Outlook, I fing hate the newer Windows shit.

I feel like I own a VHS and I have to call my oldest kid every night to tell me how to reset the fing clock.:gaah:
This is exactly why Apple is better. Microsoft tries to make improvements that always just cause problems. Everybody is afraid to upgrade to the new operating system. Why? Because windows is better? When Apple has an operating system upgrade you hardly notice a difference. All the functionality is the same and it never crashes.

Windows just tries to become more and more like Apple but they always fall short. This whole thread, in a football forum, is based around people being afraid to upgrade their operating system because it might crash. Comical.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have a laptop that is touch, but I don't use it for much more than programming routers and whatnot on job sites. Of course I've used touch with 8 and it's ok, but even then I still prefer the old versions of apps because I'm a tech from way back and I can't stand when they take settings and options away.

The real issue is they expected, no demanded, that EVERYONE including business PC users modernize and learn to embrace touch or suffer the learning curve of adapting to mice on apps meant for touch. It was a big mistake. 10 is proof of that since you can now window those modern apps and skip the touch interface altogether. Thank goodness for it too.

I made no such 'opinion' based posts here. I've done nothing but given the facts about 10, and what 7 and 8 really are/were. When you say those who liked 7 won't like 10 and those who liked 8 will I really have to correct that because there may be others that haven't looked into 10 that will be turned off by that false statement.

I also said you won't stay on 7. That may be a bit of an opinion, but an educated one. MS is changing the rules in the middle of the game. You won't end up being stupid and ignoring a free upgrade when doing so might render your current PC vulnerable to attacks when they prematurely abandon it. Those staying with MS based OS's really won't have a choice. You can put it off for 9 months, but you will eventually upgrade to it. There really is no other option outside of moving to apple or Linux. End of story.
Whiz, I already said I'll update when my govey computer updates. I'm not going to use 2 different systems.
Care to talk politics?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly why Apple is better. Microsoft tries to make improvements that always just cause problems. Everybody is afraid to upgrade to the new operating system. Why? Because windows is better? When Apple has an operating system upgrade you hardly notice a difference. All the functionality is the same and it never crashes.

Windows just tries to become more and more like Apple but they always fall short. This whole thread, in a football forum, is based around people being afraid to upgrade their operating system because it might crash. Comical.
No, it's a topic where people are asking what others are planning on doing around a major launch. You don't see these with apple because it's a tiny share of the market. Nothing more. Apple has like 5% of the market? Linux maybe 1-2%? They are blips on the radar. They are hobby OS's when it comes to the desktop market.

You can make all the claims you want about the battle between them, but apple is a small market OS with far less features and controls that only has to run on a few select overpriced pieces of hardware that runs a fraction of the software designed for PC's. MS powers the world. Without it business wouldn't get done.

I'm not defending MS's practices, but if you want to get shit done on a computer they are far and away the top choice. You just have to dink around with too many lousy alternatives in software on the other platforms.

MS is the worst company in the world at fully vetting it's software before launch. They know it will have issues and that they will be fixed fairly quickly. They would have to have beta programs that lasted years to fully test the scope of what they are trying to do and even then they could never reach the full diversity of hardware/software options all of their users have in the real world. Why? Because PC/Windows is the most diverse product in existence. It does everything for everyone on almost anything.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negative ghost rider.

Not even a little bit.

10 is the base of the LAST OS. You can't skip it and wait for the next one. There is no next one. Ever. They will just keep adding things/upgrading things to this one from this point forward.

This OS very much follows suit on all of theirs over at least the last 20 years where every other OS release is worth having. 95, ME, and Vista were just horrible OS's that should never have been. 8 wasn't much better due to their forcing desktop users to try to be tablet interface users, but they did fix the problems and left a stable OS, unlike those other 3.

Go look at the screen shots of 10. There is no confusing 'modern' interface toggle BS. The live tiles are added to the start button which acts just like your trusty old 7 version. If you don't like/want the tiles then don't use them and your machine will feel/work pretty much just exactly like 7.

It takes them a long time to listen to their customer feedback and fix the things that piss us off the most, but 10 very much is to 8 what 7 was to vista.

Those of you saying you will stay with 7 are simply pissing into the wind. I'm not talking about the folks that want to delay getting 10, but the ones that say they just won't get it at all. You aren't paying attention. The EOL for 7 is going to be here quite fast. They are going to prematurely drop support for it. Same with 8. And in exchange they are flat out giving you 10 for nothing as long as you get it within a year. A full freaking year.

You will get 10. You really won't have an option. Once all of the dust settles and the OS proves to be stable and you hear the feedback on it you will get it. It's better than 8. It's better than 7. And it's free.

For those that don't want to read several paragraphs, let me Readers Digest what WizardHawk said foryou.

Bill Gates wants you to know that Resistance is Futile. You will be assimilated.

billborg.gif