• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who will win Coach of the Year this season?

Who will be named Coach of the Year?

• Kansas' Bill Self

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virginia's Tony Bennett

• Michigan State's Tom Izzo

• North Carolina's Roy Williams

• Louisville's Rick Pitino

• Iowa State's Steve Prohm

• Total voters

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point, but nobody thought Iowa had a shot in November. Even Iowa fans were just hoping to have an okay seed. Good enough to make March Madness, but no way #1 seed was a consideration.

So, if Iowa finishes the season like they have played the last month, i don't see Kruger being so unanimous.
I think dethroning Kansas at the top of the Big 12 is going to be enough to get him the award rather easily. Kansas has flat out owned that conference forever.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol one loss takes Them out of the running???

Yeah, I prolly shouldn't have said that, but I think Purdue bating MSU cost Izzo, if he was ever truly in the running.

I think dethroning Kansas at the top of the Big 12 is going to be enough to get him the award rather easily. Kansas has flat out owned that conference forever.

Iowa is on the verge of having their best season in 60 years (so far, best start in nearly 30 years). Not saying Kruger won't win if OU and Iowa wins their conferences season, I just don't see Kruger clearly winning it then.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 5 guys on your list that have any shot. McCaffery, Mack, Huggins, Altman and Larranaga. Wright has an outside outside shot if Nova wins out. The other coaches have teams that are underachieving or right where they were predicted to be. You don't win coach of the year for doing either of those 2 things. Williams, Izzo, Kruger, Self, Proehm, Turgeon, Pitino and Bennett have a combined 0% chance of winning the award

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me explain something to people. Iowa, Xavier and Providence ( Ed Cooley ) got LESS votes in the preason poll than NC State, Georgetown and mother fucking Rhode Island. No you don't win coach of the year for being ranked 4th instead of 7th. It ain't happening.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 5 guys on your list that have any shot. McCaffery, Mack, Huggins, Altman and Larranaga. Wright has an outside outside shot if Nova wins out. The other coaches have teams that are underachieving or right where they were predicted to be. You don't win coach of the year for doing either of those 2 things. Williams, Izzo, Kruger, Self, Proehm, Turgeon, Pitino and Bennett have a combined 0% chance of winning the award
:scratch:

Did you just start following college basketball this season because Iowa is good?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch:

Did you just start following college basketball this season because Iowa is good?
No I did not. I've followed CBB for 30 years You're winner will be one of the 5 I listed. No one else has a shot in hell

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I did not. I've followed CBB for 30 years You're winner will be one of the 5 I listed. No one else has a shot in hell
If the coach of the year award always went to the coach of a team that overachieves then coaches like Calipari, Self, Coach K, etc would never win. Calipari brought in a #1 class last season and was the top ranked team wire to wire. They were national title favorites from day 1. He still won coach of the year.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kansas wins the Big 12 then Self is Coach of the Year. If Oklahoma wins it the Lon Kruger. If I had to pick one right now it would be Jay Wright of Villanova.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the coach of the year award always went to the coach of a team that overachieves then coaches like Calipari, Self, Coach K, etc would never win. Calipari brought in a #1 class last season and was the top ranked team wire to wire. They were national title favorites from day 1. He still won coach of the year.
It doesn't always go to a team that overachieves. It can also go to a coach who has a historically great year like Cal last year or Self in 09. Sometimes it's both like Marshall from Wichita in 14 but MOST years it's to a coach that overachieves. Since there is no dominant team this year it's almost certain to be that. Larranaga UR to 9 in 13, Haith 25 to 3 in 12, Brey UR to 13 I'm 11, same for Boeheim in 10, Keno Davis in 08. Tony Bennett at Wazzu in 07. It's the way it's been fir a LONG time. There has NEVER in recent history been a coach tgat just did what he was about supposed to do win the COTY, not without going unbeaten or having only 1 loss ( like Weber in 05 )

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't always go to a team that overachieves. It can also go to a coach who has a historically great year like Cal last year or Self in 09. Sometimes it's both like Marshall from Wichita in 14 but MOST years it's to a coach that overachieves. Since there is no dominant team this year it's almost certain to be that. Larranaga UR to 9 in 13, Haiti 25 to 3 in 12, Brey UR to 13 I'm 11, same for Boeheim in 10, Keno Davis in 08. Tony Bennett at Wazzu in 07. It's the way it's been fir a LONG time. There has NEVER in recent history been a coach tgat just did what he was about supposed to do win the COTY, not without going unbeaten or having only 1 loss ( like Weber in 05 )
Okay, then that means the list is much longer than just the 5 you mentioned. Im telling you if Oklahoma wins the Big 12, it is going to be very difficult to not give the award to Kruger. Kansas has won that conference 11 straight years. Oklahoma is historically not a basketball school. If they can finally be the team that knocks the Jayhawks off their Big 12 pedestal then I think Kruger will win COY. I don't think you realize how rare it is for a team other than Kansas to win the Big 12.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, then that means the list is much longer than just the 5 you mentioned. Im telling you if Oklahoma wins the Big 12, it is going to be very difficult to not give the award to Kruger. Kansas has won that conference 11 straight years. Oklahoma is historically not a basketball school. If they can finally be the team that knocks the Jayhawks off their Big 12 pedestal then I think Kruger will win COY. I don't think you realize how rare it is for a team other than Kansas to win the Big 12.
No I get it. If he does win he will be the rare rare exception. Oklahoma will likely have 5 losses or so and be top 5 but they started 8th so it's not really an unexpected OR historically great year. Without knowing the next 5 week results it's tough to say but RIGHT NOW Kruger has no shot and it'll take some weird stuff happening for him to win it

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Frank Martin not being considered? South Carolina has been awful the last decade and usually finishes last in the SEC and they are 21-3 this year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is misleading. That was a preseason #1 team, but it was very young and undefeated. That was an amazing regular season. There isn't a team out there like that this year. I would bet on 1 of the overachievers this year. Huggins should get it if he wins the Big 12

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Greg Gard is the another coach option. Taking a bunch of players no other team wanted, a team that Bo Ryan Struggled with and turning them into the hottest team in the BIG ten (maybe even the country) right now with 7 W's in a row including 3 vs ranked teams.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Andy Enfield for my Trojans?

23-41 (5-31 PAC-12) the past 2 seasons. 19-7 (8-5 PAC-12) so far this year.