• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the scariest team in the NCAA Tournament?

Who would you vote for out of the teams in the article?

• Total voters

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Insider - The scariest teams to face in the NCAA tourney
By Jeff Goodman

In this season of the ever-changing No. 1 team, it's tough to figure out whether there truly is a favorite heading into the NCAA tournament.

With that in mind, we reached out to more than 75 college coaches and asked them the following question: "What team do you not want to play in the NCAA tourney?"

Below is a list of those teams in the order of how many votes they received, including a sampling of responses from coaches polled, who all spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Kansas (22 votes)

The Jayhawks are the No. 1 team in the land, and won their 12th consecutive Big 12 title. They may not have a superstar, but they have Perry Ellis and plenty of depth, especially on the perimeter.

Coaches' takes on the Jayhawks:
  • "They play fast, play hard, they can shoot it, and they expect to win."
  • "Veteran guards, they can score in and out. They take away your first option. I definitely wouldn't want to play them on the first day of the weekend because of their prep work."
  • "They have the experience and talent."
  • "Really good, athletic guards."
Kentucky (10 votes)

The Wildcats struggled for a bit, but John Calipari boasts the nation's top backcourt in Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray -- and the insertion of Derek Willis into the lineup has made a difference, giving UK a skilled frontcourt guy who can stretch the defense.

Coaches' takes on the Wildcats:
  • "They are going to be under-seeded, and if [Derek] Willis gets back to 100 percent, they are a nightmare."
  • "No one is playing better right now. No one."
North Carolina (nine votes)

The Tar Heels finished 25-6 and won the ACC regular-season title with a 14-4 mark. Brice Johnson has been one of the best big men in the country, but fellow senior Marcus Paige has been rather ordinary for much of the season.

Coaches' takes on the Tar Heels:
  • "They have everything. Good guards, big men and they can really run."
  • "If Marcus Paige finally gets going, they are the best team in the country. I'm not sure that will happen, but if it does, watch out."
Villanova (six votes)

Jay Wright's team doesn't have a ton of depth, but the Wildcats won the Big East and have two quality point guards: senior Ryan Arcidiacono and freshman Jalen Brunson. Josh Hart has been one of the nation's best players.

Coaches' takes on the Wildcats:
  • "Love their guards."
  • "They can shoot, and they play well together. Tough matchup because of their guards, and [Josh] Hart does everything for them."
Michigan State (six votes)

Tom Izzo has gone to seven Final Fours in the past 17 years. This season, he has arguably the best player in the country in Denzel Valentine. Michigan State finished 26-5 and the biggest reason this team is feared is its coach.

Coaches' takes on the Spartans:
  • "Tom Izzo .Tom Izzo. Tom Izzo."
  • "Tom Izzo has the track record, and I just wouldn't want to see him in the tourney. Then you have to also deal with Denzel Valentine."

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon (five votes)

The Ducks won the Pac-12 regular-season title. They have a coach in Dana Altman who has a ton of credibility within coaching circles, and plenty of overall talent. Dillon Brooks is a versatile forward, Tyler Dorsey is a talented freshman guard and Chris Boucher can change the game on the defensive end.

Coaches' takes on the Ducks:
  • "Matchup nightmare."
  • "People don't realize how good this team is. They have it all, but people don't see them because they are on the West Coast."
greyline.png

Virginia (four votes)

Tony Bennett's club finished 24-6 and tied for second in the ACC. The Cavaliers have a first-team All-American candidate in Malcolm Brogdon and are far from a one-man team. These guys can score and defend.

Coach's take on the Cavaliers:
  • "They are tough to score on, and Tony Bennett has more options offensively than he's ever had before."
greyline.png

Xavier (four votes)

The Musketeers don't have a star, but Chris Mack has plenty of quality players. Trevon Bluiett is the team's top scorer, and Edmond Sumner has developed into a terrific point guard. It's power in numbers for X.

Coaches' takes on the Musketeers:
  • "Dominant inside and can shoot."
  • "I wouldn't want to see them because of the 1-3-1 zone."
greyline.png

West Virginia (three votes)

Defense is the primary reason why the Mountaineers found a way to finish second in the Big 12. Bob Huggins doesn't have the most talented group, but it plays hard and is tough to prepare for.

Coaches' takes on the Mountaineers:
  • "They are tough as hell."
  • "I wouldn't want to see 'Huggy Bear' and that press in the tourney. I know they aren't great on the offensive end, but man do they guard."
greyline.png

Oklahoma (three votes)

For a while, this was the most feared team in the country. However, the Sooners came down to earth in terms of shooting the ball -- and they don't have a ton of depth. Buddy Hield has been worthy of player of the year for sure, and when Isaiah Cousins and Jordan Woodard are both on, OU is a tough out.

Coach's take on the Sooners:
  • "Buddy Hield has been the best player in the country this season. He's the most difficult player to try and stop."
greyline.png

Purdue (two votes)

Matt Painter has point guard issues, but the Boilermakers are a brutal matchup for some teams because of their size. They can throw out a pair of 7-footers in A.J. Hammons and Isaac Haas, and also have 6-foot-8 freshman Caleb Swanigan. Purdue finished 24-7.

Coach's take on the Boilermakers:
  • "They are just too big."
greyline.png

Syracuse (two votes)

I'm not even sure the Orange will get to the tourney, but the clear-cut reason why two coaches tossed them on the list is because of the 2-3 zone. It's usually difficult to prepare for, especially for nonconference teams that haven't seen it all year.

Coach's take on the Orange:
  • "No one plays zone like they do. It's so tough to prepare for it."
greyline.png

Iowa State (one vote)

The Cyclones were up and down this season and finished 10-8 in league play. However, they have two of the best players at their positions in Georges Niang and Monte Morris -- and if Jameel McKay is locked in mentally, they can beat just about anyone.

Coach's take on the Cyclones:
  • "They are a tough matchup because they have so many guys who can score the ball. [Georges] Niang is a brutal matchup, and [Monte] Morris is one of the best point guards in the country."
greyline.png

Texas A&M (one vote)

The Aggies tied Kentucky for the SEC regular-season title. Billy Kennedy has four seniors, and a bunch of talented young guys. Texas A&M also defends.

Coach's take on the Aggies:
  • "Depth. ... They can score inside and also have guys who can shoot the 3."
greyline.png

Texas (one vote)

The Longhorns finished 20-11 overall and 11-7 in league play, and could get starting big man Cameron Ridley back from injury in the Big 12 tourney.

Coach's take on the Longhorns:
  • "Rim protection, experience, a point guard that can get to the lane and enough scorers that could get hot."

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Villanova fan, here's how I rate the scariest teams to face...

1)UNC - The one team I don't want in our region (and probably will be). They have pro talent, depth, size and shot makers.

2) Kentucky - UK has the most talented roster every single year. And so every year, they are capable of beating every team.

3) Michigan State - Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo.

4) Based on talent and results, Kansas would be a resounding #1, but they often choke in tournament.

In any case, as a Nova fan, by the time we face any of these teams, it will be in a regional final (except maybe a slim chance UK) and by then, I'll be happy with what we've done.

So, the real fear is facing a Wichita State or Pittsburgh, which is very real... :tsk:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Cross

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Villanova fan, here's how I rate the scariest teams to face...

1)UNC - The one team I don't want in our region (and probably will be). They have pro talent, depth, size and shot makers.

2) Kentucky - UK has the most talented roster every single year. And so every year, they are capable of beating every team.

3) Michigan State - Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo, Tom Izzo.

4) Based on talent and results, Kansas would be a resounding #1, but they often choke in tournament.

In any case, as a Nova fan, by the time we face any of these teams, it will be in a regional final (except maybe a slim chance UK) and by then, I'll be happy with what we've done.

So, the real fear is facing a Wichita State or Pittsburgh, which is very real... :tsk:
EWWW Pitt? You'll crush them. WSU, I'd agree is NOT a team Nova wants to play.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think it'd be mostly Michigan State and Oklahoma. Having the best player(s) in the country is always scary because without hesitation they can win a game (that being Valentine and Hield).

I'd also throw in Purdue as they are really so good in the paint and can shoot the 3, so when they are on their game, they are hard to beat.

I think Kentucky is a crap shoot and not a good year, same with Duke. UNC is a solid team, just seem young and the games I've watched them they just seem to be missing something.

I haven't watched enough Villanova & Xavier to really have much of an opinion.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EWWW Pitt? You'll crush them. WSU, I'd agree is NOT a team Nova wants to play.

I was just giving non specific examples of 7-9ish seeds that could knock us out first weekend.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First year in a long time where there just is not any real dominant teams. Purdue could surprise this year but I cant see them winning it all.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of the above.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kansas and Oklahoma probably have the most talent. But both have at best B level coaches.

Mich St lacks talent compared to the other top teams, but damn Izzo finds a way in march. Every time.

And who wants to play Virginia with that suffocating D? MSU needed to be bailed out by the refs both times the last 2 years. I'm sure they don't even want a 3rd shot.

Syrcause gets a vote for things like this almost every year, but they're probably not making the tourney.

I'm surprised Kentucky got so many votes.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seton Hall is gonna be a real bitch for whichever team(s) draw them

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, it's not the ones who get a ton of media attention that is scariest. Yes, the are the best but you know all about them. Stopping them is the big challenge.

It's the great ones that don't get the media coverage (outside their conference's region) that scares me.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WV because of the hacking style of ball they play that's hard to prepare for and Oregon is the best team nobody's seen.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Virginia. Any team that isn't afraid of a name on a jersey, really (and there are very few teams in that category). It's a culture. It's a mindset. Cincinnati has it too. They gave UK absolute fits last year in the tourney.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they have a prayer of winning the tourney but I wouldn't want to play Duke. Any team that has that many 3 pt shooters scares me in a 1 and done style tourney

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they have a prayer of winning the tourney but I wouldn't want to play Duke. Any team that has that many 3 pt shooters scares me in a 1 and done style tourney

Weakest team I've ever seen (granted I only saw 4-5 of their games this year) if they're not absolutely dominating on sheer talent alone, they really have no shot. Grayson Allen or whatever his name is, is an absolute bitch. The youngest Plumblee is 7 feet tall but plays like a 5'8 pg named Nancy. And all I ever see is walking. They don't hustle back on defense, they walk the ball up the floor, the in bounder/rebounder got down and set up their half court offense after the PG walked the ball up like 9/10 possessions I saw all season. They look like a bunch of primadonnas who expect everything to be handed to them their whole life. Even for a Duke team, this team stands out.