• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is the best Virginia Tech football player ever?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
add Antonio Freeman and Bob Schweickert to the list if we're expanding beyond number 1 to a longer list.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is not a good topic for debate with VT because there are only 2 realistic choices

Are you really an idiot, or do you just play one on this board?

Negative Rep, for consistently posting negative comments with a minimum of useful analysis.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO its:

1)Vick
2)Bruce Smith

then about 15-20 guys who all have a real good argument for #3.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I do think it's clearly Michael Vick, with Bruce Smith a close second.

They both brought a lot of positive attention to the program.

I suppose you could also argue Frank Beamer, as he played for VT and has had the most impact on the football program of any player, though that is interpreting "best" in terms of impact, not raw athletic skill.

Ryan Williams, Tyrod Taylor, and David Wilson deserve to be in the discussion as well, as they all have the potential of having a lot of impact in the NFL.

It's difficult to believe that anyone will top Vick, though. Not many people have the raw athletic ability to overcome the adversity (most of it self-imposed) that he has and still have the success that he has had.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO its:

1)Vick
2)Bruce Smith

then about 15-20 guys who all have a real good argument for #3.

I do think it's clearly Michael Vick, with Bruce Smith a close second.

They both brought a lot of positive attention to the program.

I suppose you could also argue Frank Beamer, as he played for VT and has had the most impact on the football program of any player, though that is interpreting "best" in terms of impact, not raw athletic skill.

Ryan Williams, Tyrod Taylor, and David Wilson deserve to be in the discussion as well, as they all have the potential of having a lot of impact in the NFL.

It's difficult to believe that anyone will top Vick, though. Not many people have the raw athletic ability to overcome the adversity (most of it self-imposed) that he has and still have the success that he has had.

I agree with both of these.

The fact that we still get recruits solely because 'Michael Vick went here,' should not be discounted

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think that being a shutdown corner is so very hard in the NFL and Flowers is one. He is really underrated because he plays in KC but his numbers are comparable to anyone in the league. I think that he is a better corner than Vick is a quarterback or Chancellor is a safety.

Another guy who doesn't get a lot of love is Duane Brown. He started from Day 1 in Houston and has been a fantastic LT (another very hard position to play).

Bruce is probably the best though. I didn't think that far back.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Personally, I think that being a shutdown corner is so very hard in the NFL and Flowers is one. He is really underrated because he plays in KC but his numbers are comparable to anyone in the league. I think that he is a better corner than Vick is a quarterback or Chancellor is a safety.

cant exactly disagree with flowers but i was basically just going off of what guys did @ VT.

If we are talking about cfb+nfl Freeman should be way up the list aswell.

Plus i was 17 when Vick was in bburg and had spent the previous 17 years watching VT crawl out of the ashes, so considering what he did for the program long term and his play on the field Vick will be hard to beat for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cant exactly disagree with flowers but i was basically just going off of what guys did @ VT.

If we are talking about cfb+nfl Freeman should be way up the list aswell.

Plus i was 17 when Vick was in bburg and had spent the previous 17 years watching VT crawl out of the ashes, so considering what he did for the program long term and his play on the field Vick will be hard to beat for me.

Agree with all of you. 1A) Vick 1B) Smith. I would put Tyrod at second personally, if nothing else because he was more or less a 4 year starter and carried this team. The running backs were all great (Suggs, Jones, RW, Evans, Wilson) but their greatness was usually only limited to 1 or maybe 2 years. Same goes for Vick, but obviously...he was a completely different animal in what he did on the field.

I have an idea that can keep us going in the offseason. We can build the All-SportsHoopla All-time VT squad at each position. Everybody gets two votes using the poll option on here. We could have a first and second team. Everyone votes and you can put in a little snippet of why you think that guy is the man. I am sure some of these positions will be unaminous, but hey..what the hell else do we have to do for the next 3 months, besides wait on a commit, and listen to Foozball gripe..

Anyone game for that??

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, I will get it started. If everybody doesn't want to do this. We will get EGW or 46 to delete it...

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/virginia-tech/72016-all-SportsHoopla-all-hokie-first-team-qb.html

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Why no love for Kam Chancellor?? He went from being a low 3-star high school QB with shit for an offer list to being an all-pro defensive back? How do you explain that fooz??

Maybe if we all ignore him, he'll just go away

Kam Chancellor best VT player of all time. See how ridiculous that sounds?

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Are you really an idiot, or do you just play one on this board?

Negative Rep, for consistently posting negative comments with a minimum of useful analysis.

There are only 2 choices and it's not even close. How is the truth negative?

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another guy who doesn't get a lot of love is Duane Brown. He started from Day 1 in Houston and has been a fantastic LT (another very hard position to play).

Bruce is probably the best though. I didn't think that far back.

I agree that Flowers does not get the love he should. He's a fantastic corner that deserves to be in this discussion. I don't know that I'd put him ahead of Vick or Smith, though. Not at this point, anyway.

And I love the Brown reference. OL is always overlooked. He's been a very good one for Houston.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kam Chancellor best VT player of all time. See how ridiculous that sounds?

Extremely ridiculous.

He went from being a low 3-star high school QB with shit for an offer list to being an all-pro defensive back? How do you explain that fooz??

Maybe if we all ignore him, he'll just go away

No one is arguing that Tech hasn't had good players, but when it comes down to the best one, there are really only 2 that you could choose from. 46 may have a point down the road with Flowers, but we're comparing him to a guy that is an NFL Hall of Famer, and a guy who got robbed out of the Heisman and has been an NFL MVP.

Also, it's retarded that like 4 of the top 7 threads on our board have turned into threads shitting on one guy's opinions. It's a message board, people are allowed to have differing opinions and no one needs to validate them to any other user. It's getting ridiculous.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is, it wasn't me.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely ridiculous.

No one is arguing that Tech hasn't had good players, but when it comes down to the best one, there are really only 2 that you could choose from. 46 may have a point down the road with Flowers, but we're comparing him to a guy that is an NFL Hall of Famer, and a guy who got robbed out of the Heisman and has been an NFL MVP.

Also, it's retarded that like 4 of the top 7 threads on our board have turned into threads shitting on one guy's opinions. It's a message board, people are allowed to have differing opinions and no one needs to validate them to any other user. It's getting ridiculous.

Its hard to say guy A at position B was better than guy C at position D so as long as you have a solid argument behind your choice then lets hear it. Just saying that someone's choice is ridiculous without a counter argument is the only thing that can be wrong on this thread. This thread is meant to be a debate so opinions will differ, just back up your argument for or against a guy but remember to be respectful. That is what has been lacking in the threads lately, respect. The lack of it is coming from both sides so no pointing fingers (i'm guilty of it too). Shall we try and call it a clean start and earn each other's respect while giving a little to start off with to a fellow Hokie?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Flowers does not get the love he should. He's a fantastic corner that deserves to be in this discussion. I don't know that I'd put him ahead of Vick or Smith, though. Not at this point, anyway.

And I love the Brown reference. OL is always overlooked. He's been a very good one for Houston.

are we talking best VT player ever during their stint VT? or are we saying best VT player ever, college and beyond?

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another question to keep in mind are we talking about best ever in terms of talent and skill, production, impact on the program, success as a football player on all levels? A collection of all?

Vick was a freak when he was at VT and is likely our most recognizable player, Smith was one of the game's best players, TT was the winningest QB in school history, RW was a freshman stud at RB, there are too many DBs to even get into their arguments. I can't pick just 1 without crediting the others.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, it's retarded that like 4 of the top 7 threads on our board have turned into threads shitting on one guy's opinions.

It's even more ridiculous that one poster has chosen to take the most extreme viewpoints about the Tech football program, coaches, players, and recruits just to stir the pot at every single opportunity.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's even more ridiculous that one poster has chosen to take the most extreme viewpoints about the Tech football program, coaches, players, and recruits just to stir the pot at every single opportunity.

Totally not trying to start an argument here, but I find it fairly hypocritical for you to be saying something like this, based on your track record on other message boards, twitter, etc. As someone who has 'stirred the pot' plenty in his day, I would expect you to to respect someone else's views and not troll them (not putting blame on you, personally) - even if they are fairly polarizing.