• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who here reloads their own shotgun shells?

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids are getting old enough to handle shotguns, so shooting is about to become a family thing we do together. But I would prefer to save a few bucks and reload my own shells. Does anyone here reload, and what reloader do you prefer?

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys I know that do swear by the savings.

Just to be a dick I used to sometimes call them cheap bastards and step on my empties pushing them into the dirt so they cant reuse em. haha :becky:

Good luck man.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kids are getting old enough to handle shotguns, so shooting is about to become a family thing we do together. But I would prefer to save a few bucks and reload my own shells. Does anyone here reload, and what reloader do you prefer?

i've reloaded as long as i've been shooting

unfortunately i've never loaded a shotgun shell

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It totally depends on how much you plan on shooting. I have 4 MEC sizemasters in 12, 16, 20 and 28 GA. They are single stage press with a re-sizer. It's by far IMO the best press for the money and also for starting out. I shoot about 8000 to 10000 rounds total every year mostly for skeet and sporting clays. It takes me about an hour to load 250 rounds and I do most of my loading in the winter months.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with AHFox, the MEC Sizemaster is the reloader to get. I go through a 1,000 rounds easily just during dove season if it's a good season.

I would recommend getting a universal charge bar for the MEC just for better powder measurements which are critical in reloading, the bushings aren't that accurate. You'll need a good scale to measure your powder with, beam or digital are available at Cablea's and Bass Pro Shop. For primers you should make sure they match the shell you want to reload, rifle primers are not made for shotgun shells. Remington, Winchester and Federal all make primers that can be used in most shells. Each has it own characteristics an should not be interchanged, if the load data calls for a Remington don't try to substitute one of the other brands.

Once you select the powder you want to use get the manufacturer's guide to using that powder, it'll have load data in it that are reliable for that powder. For wadding stick with the three major brands, Remington, Winchester and Federal. The off brands are hard to find load specs for though the "Claybusters" line is getting more common. Use the only components the powder manufacturer lists for your and your family's safety. Substitutions can be dangerous.

If you are going to be shooting for fun, i.e. trap or skeet, choose chilled shot and save the magnum shot for hunting. The larger the shot size the more contrary the reloader is at dropping a charge through the tube so make sure it all drops before removing the shell for crimping or you'll have shot everywhere.

Get a good, sturdy bench or table you can permanently attach the reloader to as the last thing you want is it tipping over on you while using it. Follow the step-by-step instructions until you become comfortable with the process.

If you like I have a spreadsheet that will calculate your cost per shell/box after you input cost of primers (per 100), cost of powder (per ounce), cost of wadding (per 1000), and cost of lead (per 25 pounds). PM me if you'd like to have it and I'll e-mail it to you, it's in Excel but can be imported into OpenOffice and Lotus 1-2-3.

Last edited by a moderator:

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a done deal now, got the girl my moms old 20 gauge double SS and refinished it completely. Also giving her my old .22. I won't be reloading .22 casings since they aren't exactly that expensive, but my 12 and her 20 is going to be expensive unless I go the reload route. Going to start shooting clays in January. Thanks for the info guys!

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe you can save all that much money now with the price of lead being what it is. You must also calculate your labor being involved in this process. With shotshell ammo sales going on at places like Dicks sporting goods ($4.95 for a box of Federal 12ga 2 3/4 1 1/8 7.5 or 8 shot) reloading just doesn't make sense unless you are loading for a more specific reason such as low recoil or sub gauges.

Last edited by a moderator:

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be funny to load some shells with goose down and go out shootin