• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Who do you want to start at QB and why?

Who do you want to start at QB?

• Total voters

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am asking because I honestly don’t know who I’m pulling for. Gebbia is an incredibly hard worker, devours the playbook, appears to be a good decision maker and seems like a good leader. On the flip side, Martinez is something special with his arm and legs. I have no idea how it’s going to play out, and I think it will be fine no matter who we go with. I want to see what the numbers shake out to as we approach the announcement.

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 1 Gebbia get the start. I say they will my the announcement Friday at 1130am.

Depending on how the game goes Martinez get in if up by 3 TDs. and or Gebbia falls flat on his face.

Big_Red_Marine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have a buddy of mine who's an alum and who's boss is buddies with Frost. Said that the QB race is hard for all the obvious reasons. Neither have any starting experience, Gebbia has the edge with the accuracy and Martinez with the legs, both are legit QBs. Frost didn't show his cards but ultimately said it's going to depend mostly on how well they manage the game and take care of the ball. I think Martinez starts but Gebbia definitely gets some meaningful snaps as well. Frost also said that he believes we should have an 8 win season and if we lose any less he would be very disappointed in himself.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the race is truly "close" like we're being told then I think Martinez will get the start due to the running dimension he adds.

However, I never buy into "The race is close" mantra by coaches because they're trying to push BOTH QB's to practice and study harder.

If Gebbia gets the start it's because he's clearly in the lead and has been all along.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To answer the OP question.....I have no preference.

I want the best player to start.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My heart says Gebbia. My mind says Martinez.

While the offense isn't predicated by the running skills of the QB, having Martinez's (sp?) running ability, and being a serviceable passer would put even more stress on an already stressed defense.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait to see this on the sideline when the defense is on the field, but with Frost in Osborne's shoes.

5a25af172ed73.image.jpg

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ultimately i think the coaches will pick whomever gives us the best chance to win so it doesn't really matter that much too me.

but for the sake of the thread, I want to minimize turnovers, so i went with Gebbia. the throwing stats he put up in HS, seems like it would translate to this offense and as long as he can run enough that teams see him as a threat, i think he can make this offense hum just fine. he's not going to have that huge TD run, but i don't care about that if he can hit those with his arm.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I picked Gebbia as the want to due to his better understanding of the playbook. I'd rather see Martinez get more time and be ready later on than put him out there anyway now when he's not

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find myself leaning towards Gebbia, if what I hear about his likelihood of protecting the football and making smart decisions is true. The offense has plenty of weapons rely on. I think I prefer someone who can distribute the ball effectively to those weapons effectively and efficiently

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ultimately i think the coaches will pick whomever gives us the best chance to win so it doesn't really matter that much too me.

but for the sake of the thread, I want to minimize turnovers, so i went with Gebbia. the throwing stats he put up in HS, seems like it would translate to this offense and as long as he can run enough that teams see him as a threat, i think he can make this offense hum just fine. he's not going to have that huge TD run, but i don't care about that if he can hit those with his arm.

Yeah. All Gebbia needs to do is pick up the first down, move the chains, and keep possession of the ball. Manage the game.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s going to be @Jack_John_Mark startinf.

(Insert awesome pic of him at QB here)

Big_Red_Marine

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conspiracy train here.... This is from the Tuesday practice: "Frost left the Hawks Center talking with Martinez. They were flanked by Kenny Wilhite, NU’s director of high school relations, and Associate Athletic Director Matt Davison. The other QBs had left the facility a couple of minutes earlier."

Day in the life? Mentorship at work? Or writing on the wall?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conspiracy train here.... This is from the Tuesday practice: "Frost left the Hawks Center talking with Martinez. They were flanked by Kenny Wilhite, NU’s director of high school relations, and Associate Athletic Director Matt Davison. The other QBs had left the facility a couple of minutes earlier."

When I read that the other day I had two trains of thought.
1. They were talking to him about being the starter.
2. They were talking to him about the importance of keeping his head/game right while backing up Gebbia.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking Gebbia gets the reigns and Martinez just got the "be ready" talk.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want it to work out for Martinez because he’s got more ability to get us out of sticky situations. He just simply is more athletic when it comes down to it.

If Gebbia is going to take better care of the ball and provide the Offense with the efficiency that Frost desires, then I am all for that.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For now Gebbia has the edge. Once Martinez starts to "blink" fast he's going to be tough to beat. No pun intended OSU. I see a lot of Mariota ability in this kid

psaboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I changed my mind, go with Gebbia. Has more time/experience/exposure with current players and probably will be safest decision for Frosty.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading the article I posted in the jerk off thread I’m going Martinez. He would be deadly with some of those designed QB keepers.