• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who do the Seahawks take in the first round.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really would prefer a DL in the first because the class is SO deep and strong early on. A lot of the guys available in the late first may very well be mid 1st round picks in other drafts whereas a lot of the OL may be a bit of a reach in the first.

Maybe we can trade up in the 2nd round with our 3rd (since we have a compensatory to use) and snag an OL. I just don't know if I see any premium guys in the LATE 1st and it may be no much better than a 2nd/3rd rounder or mediocre veteran who has at least adjusted to speed.

Yah Wilson is important and we need to keep him up, but still gotta go for value.

That said, I've given up on Carroll/Schneider drafts. They'll take an early 3rd inside linebacker with their first or something goofball. I had mocked and wanted Kawaan Short in the late first but alas, we traded for Percy Harvin and then took a runningback. lol.
Wow! Just wow.
This team has been built primarily with the draft. It is probably a top 6 team in the NFL.
You would be one of the very few people who follow the NFL that feel that way.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Just wow.
This team has been built primarily with the draft. It is probably a top 6 team in the NFL.
You would be one of the very few people who follow the NFL that feel that way.

Sorry, my post missed a key word. "I've given up trying to PREDICT Carroll/Schneider drafts." That was a big word to forget, but is what it is.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, my post missed a key word. "I've given up trying to PREDICT Carroll/Schneider drafts." That was a big word to forget, but is what it is.
It's just one word! LOL.
Now that makes much more sense and yes, I agree with that!

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just one word! LOL.
Now that makes much more sense and yes, I agree with that!

I guess key phrase was more accurate, since trying to predict is 3 words lol. Oh man what fail.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this year will be a bit different then previous drafts just with the facts of how PC was generally disappointed with the overall play of the o-line and a couple of players leaving through FA. Now I have no idea who they like/targeting, but I do feel o-line will be addressed with the first pick.

It's like your reading my mind jersey. Last year felt strange to me, first time I ever felt like whatever the Seahawks had in mind for the OL , it wasn't working well, in fact it was plum rotten the first half of the season. So changes were made, Nowak went from starter to right off the roster, WR routes were designed so RW could unload the ball ASAP, RW was told to unload quicker and those were the obvious changes. I'm sure more were made that weren't as obvious.
Now the OL has to replace a LT and RG. They need to get Britt playing better, more competition for the position should be top of the list. Lewis is OK, but not a long term answer IMO. This draft is lacking at the glamour positions. Last couple of years lots of WRs and RBs left school early and entered the draft. So 2014 and 2013 drafts were heavy to those positions. Now the college ranks are depleted at those positions, so obvious first rounders are lacking. CBs and QBs are meh over all. What the draft does have this year is lots of quality OL and run stuffing DL. So in my mind, this is the draft to improve on the OL and get value, because not every draft will be strong at OL position, just like not every draft is strong at all positions ( like this year at WR and RB).:2cents:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like your reading my mind jersey. Last year felt strange to me, first time I ever felt like whatever the Seahawks had in mind for the OL , it wasn't working well, in fact it was plum rotten the first half of the season. So changes were made, Nowak went from starter to right off the roster, WR routes were designed so RW could unload the ball ASAP, RW was told to unload quicker and those were the obvious changes. I'm sure more were made that weren't as obvious.
Now the OL has to replace a LT and RG. They need to get Britt playing better, more competition for the position should be top of the list. Lewis is OK, but not a long term answer IMO. This draft is lacking at the glamour positions. Last couple of years lots of WRs and RBs left school early and entered the draft. So 2014 and 2013 drafts were heavy to those positions. Now the college ranks are depleted at those positions, so obvious first rounders are lacking. CBs and QBs are meh over all. What the draft does have this year is lots of quality OL and run stuffing DL. So in my mind, this is the draft to improve on the OL and get value, because not every draft will be strong at OL position, just like not every draft is strong at all positions ( like this year at WR and RB).:2cents:

There were instances on both sides of the ball of a player going from starter to off the roster within a couple weeks. Nowak and Cary Williams were both experiments gone wrong. I guess I can see what they were trying to do with both situations, it just failed spectacularly in both situations. With Nowak, I think it was a matter of taking the unknown over the known because they seemed underwhelmed by Patrick Lewis even though he had previous starting experience and Nowak, if I remember correctly, had never even played the position before we put him there last season. He'd played some guard before, but that was about it. The center position was foreign to him.

At least with Williams they got a guy who had played corner before. Unfortunately, the technique he was taught did not mesh with the technique taught to our guys. They might have felt like they had no real choice with Lane out for a big chunk of the season and the rest of the defensive backfield pretty banged up from injuries that also occurred the season before, but sometimes the worst decisions are made in times of desperation and he just never caught on the way they were hoping he would.

It was definitely weird to see them swing and miss on two important starting positions and not realize their mistake sooner or at least realize their mistake and not do anything about it sooner. Their mistakes in judgement don't usually have the kind of impact that those two mistakes had.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis' problems were personality. He wasn't loud or 'in charge' enough to make the O-line calls. He got better at it, and they put him back in as a starter.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis' problems were personality. He wasn't loud or 'in charge' enough to make the O-line calls. He got better at it, and they put him back in as a starter.

That's right. I forgot about that. I still would have preferred someone with more than a year or two of experience in his life on the offensive line playing such a critical position. They could have hammered home the point that Lewis needed to be more assertive and still had an effective center in there while they waited for the message to sink in. If memory serves, they didn't even have Nowak at center until the third or fourth preseason game. That's not a great setup for success.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is my belief that o-line will be addressed in the first round and one of the two third rounders simply by PC's closing presser of the season on how disappointed he was with the o-line. With the fact that the NCAA aren't turning out more o-linemen and for this years draft being pretty good, I think the FO will take advantage and start trying to solidify the line. Normally we never know who the FO likes nor they tip their hand, but this years glaring need is easy to spot and the FO knows it as well.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were instances on both sides of the ball of a player going from starter to off the roster within a couple weeks. Nowak and Cary Williams were both experiments gone wrong. I guess I can see what they were trying to do with both situations, it just failed spectacularly in both situations. With Nowak, I think it was a matter of taking the unknown over the known because they seemed underwhelmed by Patrick Lewis even though he had previous starting experience and Nowak, if I remember correctly, had never even played the position before we put him there last season. He'd played some guard before, but that was about it. The center position was foreign to him.

At least with Williams they got a guy who had played corner before. Unfortunately, the technique he was taught did not mesh with the technique taught to our guys. They might have felt like they had no real choice with Lane out for a big chunk of the season and the rest of the defensive backfield pretty banged up from injuries that also occurred the season before, but sometimes the worst decisions are made in times of desperation and he just never caught on the way they were hoping he would.

It was definitely weird to see them swing and miss on two important starting positions and not realize their mistake sooner or at least realize their mistake and not do anything about it sooner. Their mistakes in judgement don't usually have the kind of impact that those two mistakes had.

I hated the Cary Williams signing from day 1 and knew it wasn't going to end well.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hated the Cary Williams signing from day 1 and knew it wasn't going to end well.
Yup one those signings that I couldn't understand, but figured the Seahawks saw something in him that they could work with. Thought they overpaid for him also,I didn't see much of a market for him myself.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup one those signings that I couldn't understand, but figured the Seahawks saw something in him that they could work with. Thought they overpaid for him also,I didn't see much of a market for him myself.

When CW signed with Philly and it was a good size contract, I knew they were in trouble from the start when CW decided that decorating his house was more important then OTA's with his new team. Combine that with poor play resulted in disaster. When Seattle picked him up for the amount he signed, all I thought was he's going to shit the bed and be a liability on D.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When CW signed with Philly and it was a good size contract, I knew they were in trouble from the start when CW decided that decorating his house was more important then OTA's with his new team. Combine that with poor play resulted in disaster. When Seattle picked him up for the amount he signed, all I thought was he's going to shit the bed and be a liability on D.

In hindsight, the Hawks probably would have been better off taking a flier on a younger, cheaper corner who wasn't so used to doing things a certain way that he either couldn't or didn't want to learn how the Seahawks go about things in terms of technique. Obviously the Hawks haven't had too many veterans coming in to play corner during Carroll's time and I think we figured out why last season. Younger players are generally more conducive to learning new techniques either because they know it'll help them stick around longer if they know more than one way to play their position or because they haven't spent nearly the same amount of time as vets have doing things a certain way, so their habits and muscle memory aren't as fully formed as a veteran player's would be. In other words, they haven't been playing the same way long enough for their instincts and bodies to be on autopilot yet.

You see it all the time with players who go from playing in one type of system for a long time to another type of system later in their careers. It either takes them a little while to adjust or they never adjust and it's a disaster. Same thing with players switching positions after playing the same position for a long time, either in the same system or in a completely different system.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In hindsight, the Hawks probably would have been better off taking a flier on a younger, cheaper corner who wasn't so used to doing things a certain way that he either couldn't or didn't want to learn how the Seahawks go about things in terms of technique. Obviously the Hawks haven't had too many veterans coming in to play corner during Carroll's time and I think we figured out why last season. Younger players are generally more conducive to learning new techniques either because they know it'll help them stick around longer if they know more than one way to play their position or because they haven't spent nearly the same amount of time as vets have doing things a certain way, so their habits and muscle memory aren't as fully formed as a veteran player's would be. In other words, they haven't been playing the same way long enough for their instincts and bodies to be on autopilot yet.

You see it all the time with players who go from playing in one type of system for a long time to another type of system later in their careers. It either takes them a little while to adjust or they never adjust and it's a disaster. Same thing with players switching positions after playing the same position for a long time, either in the same system or in a completely different system.

I understand what you're saying, but sadly the red flags on CW were waving pretty high and it burned them. Glad he got cut when he did and Lane filled in nicely in his place.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who does the team pick in the 1st round?
A DT that most feel will be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but Seattle has him valued as a 1st round selection to them. He will be groomed to be Mebane's replacement.
#1 run D is a highly valued rating.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA for their team... Not BPA available... big difference...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BPA for their team... Not BPA available... big difference...
So Best Player Available for their team and not Best Player Available available? ;)

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to be honest i like Tackle Spriggs right now with the rule change. He has the quickness to get infront with the chop block being taken away. Olines will need to be quicker and more athletic and thats a little scary to think about because one thing thats for sure is our Oline has not been very athletic for a VERY long time.