• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where we're at

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary Cap:$64,300,000
Pens Salary:$63,623,333
Cap Space: $676,667

Projected roster,
L1: Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
L2: Neal - Malkin - Bennett
L3: Adams - Sutter - Glass
L4: TBD - Jokinen - TBD
Reserves: Vitale
D1: Letang - Scuderi
D2: Martin - Orpik
D3: Niskanen - Despres
Reserves: Engelland

G1: Fleury
G2: Vokoun

RFA's: Jeffrey ($575,000), Bortuzzo ($525,000)

Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Chart

Sort of gives us a rough idea of where we are contractually. If I were to trade anyone it would be Niskanen for either draft picks or prospects. It would open up $2,300,000 for about $2,976,667 in cap space. On top of that, I could see Despres filling in for Niskanen quite nicely. The next person to trade would be Orpik, it would open up another $3,750,000 & give us either $4,426,667 in cap space or $6,726,667 if we trade both Orpik & Niskanen. Not sure how well Dumoulin could jump in to be an anchor on defense, but it should be easier with the acquisition of Scuderi. That's basically how I would go about things. If I were to trade players to open up cap space I would first trade Niskanen, then Orpik (for sure Niskanen tho).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Things aren't going to be easy for the next couple years, I think we need to focus on the positives and try to ignore the negatives as much as possible.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'd move Orpik. I don't think a team can afford to carry 3 d-men (Orpik, Scuderi, Engelland) who contribute virtually nothing in terms of puck movement/scoring.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the lines as:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Bennett/Jokinen
Jeffrey - Sutter - Bennett/Jokinen
Glass - Vitale - Adams

I can see the likes of Bennett and Jokinen move around depending on who is hotter and Jokinen will get time with Malkin to help win faceoffs when Malkin is in a flat out horrible slump in the faceoff circle.

D - pairing I see that but something has to give of Jeffrey and Bortuzzo accept their tenders.

mtm166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
element is right, that third line is not going to cut it. It just doesn't look like it has the potential for any sort of true identity, not a scoring line, not a shut-down line. If it were me, I'd flip Kunitz and BB. The way it looks now, we are going to be totally dependent on the top 2 lines for scoring.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey Jeff! Nice seeing you on here. Been posting on HF, so hope I catch you there as well.

I see where you're coming with Orpik, trading him would get us more cap space than trading Niskanen, but I would rather have 2 defensive anchors in Scuderi & Orpik than rely all on Scuderi. Maybe we could call up Dumoulin to be a 2nd defensive anchor but he still lacks NHL experience so not too sure if I would want to rely on that. On top of all that, I think Despres could easily replace Niskanen in the lineup. We'll see what they do tho, chances are we'll probably end up trading both of the, we really need to create some cap space right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the lines as:

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Neal - Malkin - Bennett/Jokinen
Jeffrey - Sutter - Bennett/Jokinen
Glass - Vitale - Adams

I can see the likes of Bennett and Jokinen move around depending on who is hotter and Jokinen will get time with Malkin to help win faceoffs when Malkin is in a flat out horrible slump in the faceoff circle.

D - pairing I see that but something has to give of Jeffrey and Bortuzzo accept their tenders.

I don't have much confidence in the roster I posted. I would be shocked if Orpik & Niskanen stay with the team. I think we need to create cap space more than anything right now. Hopefully they'll figure something out because this looks rather crippling.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
element is right, that third line is not going to cut it. It just doesn't look like it has the potential for any sort of true identity, not a scoring line, not a shut-down line. If it were me, I'd flip Kunitz and BB. The way it looks now, we are going to be totally dependent on the top 2 lines for scoring.

I think the only way to build a respectable 3rd line is to trade both Orpik & Niskanen.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Salary Cap:$64,300,000
Pens Salary:$63,623,333
Cap Space: $676,667

Projected roster,
L1: Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
L2: Neal - Malkin - Bennett
L3: Adams - Sutter - Glass
L4: TBD - Jokinen - TBD
Reserves: Vitale
D1: Letang - Scuderi
D2: Martin - Orpik
D3: Niskanen - Despres
Reserves: Engelland

G1: Fleury
G2: Vokoun

RFA's: Jeffrey ($575,000), Bortuzzo ($525,000)

Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Chart

Sort of gives us a rough idea of where we are contractually. If I were to trade anyone it would be Niskanen for either draft picks or prospects. It would open up $2,300,000 for about $2,976,667 in cap space. On top of that, I could see Despres filling in for Niskanen quite nicely. The next person to trade would be Orpik, it would open up another $3,750,000 & give us either $4,426,667 in cap space or $6,726,667 if we trade both Orpik & Niskanen. Not sure how well Dumoulin could jump in to be an anchor on defense, but it should be easier with the acquisition of Scuderi. That's basically how I would go about things. If I were to trade players to open up cap space I would first trade Niskanen, then Orpik (for sure Niskanen tho).
I always wanted to see Jagr go back to the penguins to finish out and retire. Maybe you guys should add him for some depth.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have much confidence in the roster I posted. I would be shocked if Orpik & Niskanen stay with the team. I think we need to create cap space more than anything right now. Hopefully they'll figure something out because this looks rather crippling.

Same here one or both have to go. Yeah that bottom 6 is horrible right now with no real direction. Just a bunch of cheap cap hits (I think Tanner Glass is an over payment though).

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wanted to see Jagr go back to the penguins to finish out and retire. Maybe you guys should add him for some depth.

I would like to see that happen as well, but I don't think it's going to happen. He left on bad terms & probably won't ever retire. I will always see Jagr as an all time great Penguin legend tho, nothing but love & respect for Jagz.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here one or both have to go. Yeah that bottom 6 is horrible right now with no real direction. Just a bunch of cheap cap hits (I think Tanner Glass is an over payment though).

I wish we could trade Glass instead of trading Niskanen or Orpik, but the biggest problem with our roster is filling spots on the forward lines. I think dumping Glass will force us to fill in another roster spot & IDK if it will give us enough cap space to fill in other roster spots.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens trade Niskanen or Orpik who, out of what's left, do you see the Pens signing to fill out the bottom 2 lines? Or, do you see a forward coming back in the trade? They're pretty bare at forward in terms of NHL ready prospects, outside of Bennett. As it currently stands, it looks like the 13th/14th forwards would be McIntyre and Andrew Ebbett.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Pens trade Niskanen or Orpik who, out of what's left, do you see the Pens signing to fill out the bottom 2 lines? Or, do you see a forward coming back in the trade? They're pretty bare at forward in terms of NHL ready prospects, outside of Bennett. As it currently stands, it looks like the 13th/14th forwards would be McIntyre and Andrew Ebbett.

It would be nice to get a forward in return. But I think Jayson Megna gets a shot and yes Ebbet and they just signed again Chris Conner who has been on the big club on and off. I don't see McIntyre being part of the team at all.

I think there is a 0% chance they trade Orpik, it makes no sense at all.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I called the shots I would trade Niskanen and/or Orpik for either suitable forwards to fill out the backlines and/or draft picks. Then would call up guys Megna, Uher, Kuhnhackl, Gibbons, & Thompson, see if they could handle the NHL game.

That's probably not what's going to happen tho.:noidea: