• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where was this defense all year?

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night the defense played their hearts out. Did they play over their heads, or did they actually play to their potential? 5 sacks, was in Foles face all night, had one forced grounding call and should have been at least 3. Allowed the number 2 offense just 24 points, only 7 in the second half, forced one fumble and had a goal line stand. I thought they played well enough to win, and the offense does what it seems to always do in big games.....CHOKE. Is it the coaching staff who just couldn't get the best of this defense, or are they really as bad as they looked all season.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last night the defense played their hearts out. Did they play over their heads, or did they actually play to their potential? 5 sacks, was in Foles face all night, had one forced grounding call and should have been at least 3. Allowed the number 2 offense just 24 points, only 7 in the second half, forced one fumble and had a goal line stand. I thought they played well enough to win, and the offense does what it seems to always do in big games.....CHOKE. Is it the coaching staff who just couldn't get the best of this defense, or are they really as bad as they looked all season.

The defense did played their hearts out. But those holes up the middle have to go.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense did played their hearts out. But those holes up the middle have to go.

I agree, but they still gave this team a chance to win. It was the best they had played since the first Eagle game. To hold the Eagles to 7 points in the second half was good defense.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and where was this pass rush all season?

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Is it the coaching staff who just couldn't get the best of this defense, or are they really as bad as they looked all season"

they are that bad...both talent wise and between the ears. Defense many times is all about your keys and NOT free lancing OR being a dumb ass. For years I've sworn Dallas has had some of the slowest between the ears kinda guys ever assembled on any one team

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this defense played less shittily than some previous game. The defense still crumbled and gave up several long plays. We have not had a good defense since Zimmer was here.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will jerrrah do the smart thing and draft pass rushers and a good safety? It is really doubtful that he is able to avoid a skill player

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Is it the coaching staff who just couldn't get the best of this defense, or are they really as bad as they looked all season"

they are that bad...both talent wise and between the ears. Defense many times is all about your keys and NOT free lancing OR being a dumb ass. For years I've sworn Dallas has had some of the slowest between the ears kinda guys ever assembled on any one team

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but how did they turn it up last night? IMO this defense doesn't play with heart at all. I think they quit when things get tough, and that is coaching. I do agree with you about them being the slowest between the ears, that's why they never could grasp the complex defense of Rob Ryan.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, this defense played less shittily than some previous game. The defense still crumbled and gave up several long plays. We have not had a good defense since Zimmer was here.

Yes they gave up some plays, but it wasn't like they were playing a crappy offense. They still gave the Boys a chance to win. I'm not saying they are good, but I do think with better coaching they could have been better. Hell even Ryans defense wasn't this bad with the same players and injuries.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes they gave up some plays, but it wasn't like they were playing a crappy offense. They still gave the Boys a chance to win. I'm not saying they are good, but I do think with better coaching they could have been better. Hell even Ryans defense wasn't this bad with the same players and injuries.

Well I bet the Saints are looking at the tape right now to see how we were able to get to Foles and keep him relatively in check.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I bet the Saints are looking at the tape right now to see how we were able to get to Foles and keep him relatively in check.

I'm sure they will , but the Saints defense was the worst in the league last season. They may have picked up a player or two, but was still overall the same players. Ryan took them from dead last to a very respectable defense.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they will , but the Saints defense was the worst in the league last season. They may have picked up a player or two, but was still overall the same players. Ryan took them from dead last to a very respectable defense.

Ryan is a Hell of a DC. If Jerry had kept him instead of hiring Kiffen and changing schemes without bringing in the necessary talent to play it, we'd be in the playoffs right now.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan is a Hell of a DC. If Jerry had kept him instead of hiring Kiffen and changing schemes without bringing in the necessary talent to play it, we'd be in the playoffs right now.

Maybe so, and now we will have to start all over again. I doubt Kiffen will be here next season.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but how did they turn it up last night? IMO this defense doesn't play with heart at all. I think they quit when things get tough, and that is coaching. I do agree with you about them being the slowest between the ears, that's why they never could grasp the complex defense of Rob Ryan.

no problem disagreeing in spite of what a select few here seem to think. The turned up last night because they were in better position more often through film study and following there keys. Collinsworth said as much about holding the edge on McCoy. They did a descent job with the talent assembled. 19 different Dlinemen is just that....19! That was the difference. Playing with heart is contagious and not enough in Dallas play that way, BUT it's a whole lot better than the Bum's Kid days roaming Dallas's sideline.

Slowest between the ears many times has everything to do with being mule headed. Knowing your keys and playing to them play after play isn't that hard. Ware did mit last night and didn't the last game last season against Washington, OR maybe Ryan didn't put enough emphases last year, I don't know, but Ware had ownership cause his key was clear and it's not that difficult. What made the flex the flex back in the day? Keys and gap control over instinct.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Foles was rip for the pickings and isn't ready for primetime playoff football IMO
It remains all about McCoy

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hope it's ok to have a different opinion.

Ryan may be a better DC than old man kiffin BUT he's not a hell of a DC and his stats everywhere supports the thought.

bigdeal701

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan may be a better DC than old man kiffin BUT he's not a hell of a DC and his stats everywhere supports the thought.

He may not be a hell of a DC, but he did take the worst defense in the NFL, and make them the 4th best unit in the league. Jerry should have given him another shot IMO.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foles was rip for the pickings and isn't ready for primetime playoff football IMO
It remains all about McCoy

I totally agree with this. Foles , as good as his stats were, looked very shaky to me last night. He threw some balls up and his guys made plays. He does drop his head when being rushed. Its amazing to me that anyone would want to follow our defensive game plan, but I believe Ryan will. I do think Jackson had some opportunities on screens that Foles missed, but it was clear that MCcoy wasnt going to beat us with screen passes.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats pot to kettle lol. I have a high opinion of Ryan as DC, but you are probably right in that he wasn't right for Dallas. Watching our guys butcher one of the simplest defensive schemes in the NFL this year makes me imagine just how lost they'd have been running Ryans Chinese arithmetic again

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no problem disagreeing in spite of what a select few here seem to think. The turned up last night because they were in better position more often through film study and following there keys. Collinsworth said as much about holding the edge on McCoy. They did a descent job with the talent assembled. 19 different Dlinemen is just that....19! That was the difference. Playing with heart is contagious and not enough in Dallas play that way, BUT it's a whole lot better than the Bum's Kid days roaming Dallas's sideline.

Slowest between the ears many times has everything to do with being mule headed. Knowing your keys and playing to them play after play isn't that hard. Ware did mit last night and didn't the last game last season against Washington, OR maybe Ryan didn't put enough emphases last year, I don't know, but Ware had ownership cause his key was clear and it's not that difficult. What made the flex the flex back in the day? Keys and gap control over instinct.
:agree: