• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where the Crawdads Sing (2022)

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw this film on Friday and were impressed. My GF had read the book and told me it was a lot better, as it allowed better character development.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We saw this film on Friday and were impressed. My GF had read the book and told me it was a lot better, as it allowed better character development.
I just finished the book. The best part of the story is her own thoughts, so I would expect the movie to feel hollow. Does the movie share her inner monologue?

catman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished the book. The best part of the story is her own thoughts, so I would expect the movie to feel hollow. Does the movie share her inner monologue?
A little bit. As in most films from books of this nature, there really isn't time to get the characters completely developed. Check out the movie and tell me what you think.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched it last night and I thought it was pretty ridiculous... lol.

You're telling me the whole family abandons this 8 year old (or whatever) and she lives by herself for 10+ years in a swamp, with hardly any money (oh wow she farmed muscles for $0.50 a bag... yah, right), nobody in the town except the store clerks really caring..

Fine... but... never cut herself and got an infection, never broke a bone, had hygiene issues I assume, never get a parasite/bug bite, etc. that required medical attention, never got a cavity, never got foot fungus or various infection from hygiene issues...

And then grows up to look like a supermodel with perfect teeth, fully groomed like she's goes to a salon every week, shaved legs, like she bathes every day, fully healthy - not mangy or scurvy or anything... oh and speaks perfectly, picks up reading like it's no big deal, proceeds to read every book in the library and just becomes an expert on everything... apparently everyone in the town hates her after some kids make fun of her in school (which kids do), but the lawyer likes her, she attracts supermodel guys, the store clerks are nice...

Let's mention the house... in a swamp with heavy moisture/critters/flooding/cold-ice/heat, etc. it beats up a home pretty good... never had mold/mildew, never had to fix the roof, no plumbing issues, no pump issues for fresh water, where's the firewood - ever watch a girl that age - even a boy try to chop lumber let alone start a fire? No foundation/painting/sanding/rot/board replacing issues? But we're led to believe before she discovers the fully grown Captain America later in the film she's talked to nobody or had any interaction except the store owner? (yes I know she met the boy early, but then she runs into him when they're now of legal fuck age and acts like she never knew him).

Like WHAT THE FUCK!? I was expecting something like Nell, the Woman, hell even Walking Dead showed the characters dirty, showed how they yearned for a shower, etc. and that took space within days... After a while their clothes were tattered or worn and they had to steal or salvage things, but nope, apparently our lead here is just a miracle maker at everything.

Don't get me started on the whole murder mystery *SPOILERS* the lawyer actually does a good job proving how implausible it would be for her to murder the guy (don't even get me started on the whole reason she's up there to begin with is a fuckin' HAT yarn strand, when they used to date and that easily could've gotten there for days)... place quite a ways far away, take a bus back home... meet with him super late, take a bus back... after covering up every track in the swamp? OOOOOOOOOH right she was covering up her footprints (crappily) when some authorities came by at one point.. she's also a pro at that too. So the lawyer rightfully so paints this completely RIDICULOUS series of events that would have to happen for her to do this... and she's proven innocent, BUT then we find out... SHE DID IT. This is a girl who has little experience with hotels, forensic manipulation, murder, manipulation, bus schedules, formal meals, vehicles and locations in general... is 100 lbs soaking wet and somehow convinces a pretty strong looking/tall guy to climb a tower and then shove him off it? And then cover up everything, but somehow forgets the hat? Get the fuck outta here....

Oh and don't show the kill because that would make her the aggressor and committing murder in the 1st degree... but we get a cheese out reveal at the end... congrats Captain America, you banged and bred with a killer (yes I get she was assaulted by the other guy, but that still makes you a killer). Of course naturally the strong, independent, beautiful, emotional, shy, mistreated, abused woman realizes she can sell all her pictures that she drew and it becomes a worldwide hit or something and she makes all this money. Love that one of the siblings that abandoned her stumbles across her book and is like, "OOOOH YAH! Sister is making some cash now! I'll go visit her!"

Good visuals and sound design, performances were SO SO, 2.5/10 on the movie for that. The story was cheeseball and the direction and plausibility of the whole story was complete and utter garbage. The Notebook was 1000 times more believable and didn't have the "WOMEN ARE STRONG!" and "MEN CAN BE EVIL TO WOMEN!" crap thrown in that Hollyweird loves to do.

2.5/10... movie should be put in the FANTASY genre, not drama section.... go live out in a swamp by yourself for 1 month let alone a year and you get no Internet and can only contact a shack of a store.... you'd be dead in 1 month. That would be Chris McCandless.

Last edited:

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, well I just tore into it with quite the opposite opinion... but glad you enjoyed it lol.
nbc brooklyn 99 GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked it, too.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash