• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still cannot believe Short Buss and Kupchak actually thought signing Mozgov and Deng to 4 year deals worth a combined almost 34 million a year was a good idea.

Honestly it has to go down as one of the dumbest moves i can remember- like the Cavs drafting Bennett.

the Lakers- a team that can really push itself in free agency- spends almost 35 million a year for 4 years- between a 1/4 and a 1/3 of their cap space- on Luol Deng and Timo Mozgov.

If not for Short Buss the Lakers would be in such better shape and i thank him for it.

Unfortunately Magic and Pelinka were able to rid themselves of Mozgov's albatross deal and have started to get stuff straightened out.

That was the summer of dumb contracts. Teams were suddenly flush with cap space and wanted to spend it all immediately.

Evan Turner 4/70M
DeRozan 5/145M
Solomon Hill 4/50M
Noah 4/72M
Tyler Johnson 4/50M
Biyombo 4/72M
Barnes 4/95M
Eric Gordon 4/53M
Beal 5/128M
Drummond 5/130M
Batum 5/120M
Whiteside 4/98M
Parsons 4/94M
Fournier 5/85M
Conley 5/135M
Ryan Anderson 4/80M
Mahinmi 4/64M
Crabbe 4/75M
Miles Plumlee 4/52M

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely can be argued. However, without sacrificing those 3 players, they don't have the cap space they need this off-season. I think the reason for sacrificing Nance and Clarkson at the time they did was because the Cavs needed to make a change right then and the Lakers wanted a first round pick. So, timing more than anything.

Randle is a bit of an unusual case, imo. When the season started, I don't think anyone expected him to make the leap that he did. Considering the Lakers plans have been to clear space for max guys since before Magic and Pelinka took over, he basically played so well that he has likely priced himself out of LA.

To me, whether or not it's a big deal if they strike out depends on why they struck out.

If it's because they were selling the wrong things and basically trying to say..."We're the Lakers, here's your contract. Sign here". Rather than talking basketball, how they plan to win and how each FA fits into those plans...Then that would indicate that they didn't learn much from the Short Buss era.

This is a small max guy class. With Boogie's Achilles injury, the only truly max guys (at least that I'd wan the Lakers signing) are Lebron and PG. Boogie would be okay if there are assurances that he'll be back to at least very close to what he was before the injury.

Also, the team is very young. Max guys may not want to commit until there's a little better idea of what they can become.

That's also an issue I see with a team like Philly. I don't see LeBron even considering Philly or LA without a PG type of player there as well. LeBron to Philly makes for a good headline but why would he want to play with one guy who's got the minutes restriction of a 38 year old and another who's afraid to draw fouls? I don't think LeBron's looking to mentor just yet. He wants to compete.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's also an issue I see with a team like Philly. I don't see LeBron even considering Philly or LA without a PG type of player there as well. LeBron to Philly makes for a good headline but why would he want to play with one guy who's got the minutes restriction of a 38 year old and another who's afraid to draw fouls? I don't think LeBron's looking to mentor just yet. He wants to compete.

Yeah, that's definitely why he isn't coming to LA alone. The only reason I could see him going to Philly without another max guy is because they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, so they appear more ready to win right now than the Lakers.

But I agree, he may very well want another max guy in Philly with him. I know they can clear the space for Lebron without giving up much. It would be interesting to see what they would do if Lebron insisted on them bringing in another max guy.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's definitely why he isn't coming to LA alone. The only reason I could see him going to Philly without another max guy is because they made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs, so they appear more ready to win right now than the Lakers.

But I agree, he may very well want another max guy in Philly with him. I know they can clear the space for Lebron without giving up much. It would be interesting to see what they would do if Lebron insisted on them bringing in another max guy.

I mean imo there are only a handful of teams he even has an option to go to AND have cap space for him:

Cavs
Lakers
Sixers

The Rockets and Pelicans both need to rid some salaries to acquire him.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think for a chance to compete with the Warriors you have to appease LeBron. It may haunt you down the line but I'd trade a package involving Kuzma and Ingram for Kawhi if LeBron demanded it. Keeping Lonzo is a viable option as well. LeBron seems to like Lonzo's pass-first mentality, and keeping another primary ballhandler may be what LeBron would prefer. Lonzo can also play pretty good defense.

PG Ball
SG George
SF Kawhi
PF LeBron

It's also good for the NBA. You have the Kyrie/LeBron rivalry on top of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry. Ratings would explode.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean imo there are only a handful of teams he even has an option to go to AND have cap space for him:

Cavs
Lakers
Sixers

The Rockets and Pelicans both need to rid some salaries to acquire him.

Agree. One of those 3 seems most likely. I'd have the Cavs as the favorites because I think Lebron would prefer to stay in Cleveland if they can find some way to get him some help.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think for a chance to compete with the Warriors you have to appease LeBron. It may haunt you down the line but I'd trade a package involving Kuzma and Ingram for Kawhi if LeBron demanded it. Keeping Lonzo is a viable option as well. LeBron seems to like Lonzo's pass-first mentality, and keeping another primary ballhandler may be what LeBron would prefer. Lonzo can also play pretty good defense.

PG Ball
SG George
SF Kawhi
PF LeBron

It's also good for the NBA. You have the Kyrie/LeBron rivalry on top of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry. Ratings would explode.

Damn. I didn't even think of Kyrie in Boston with Lebron on the Lakers. Yeah, ratings would be ridiculous.

Definitely could pay a price down the road. But I think if you can put those 3 together...you kinda have to.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. One of those 3 seems most likely. I'd have the Cavs as the favorites because I think Lebron would prefer to stay in Cleveland if they can find some way to get him some help.

Cleveland can't be the favorite at this point. I just don't see what they can do. Too many bad contracts with multiple years left. Love isn't even really a great trade asset anymore. He is okay, but rebuilding teams won't want him and contenders won't give a substantially better piece in a package to acquire him.

If LeBron picks Cleveland, he is choosing the Kobe route.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Cousins and George....go young.....keep the core--- Lonzo Ball would fit with both those guys really well. Maybe if you can get cousins to take a small discount - and then trade Kuzma and a pick or two to get rid of Deng you can even keep Randle.

PG- Ball
SG- Ingram
SF- George
PF- Randle
C- Cousins

Now that is a good, young fun team that fits together and would be hitting its peak just as Golden State is declining.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign Cousins and George....go young.....keep the core--- Lonzo Ball would fit with both those guys really well. Maybe if you can get cousins to take a small discount - and then trade Kuzma and a pick or two to get rid of Deng you can even keep Randle.

PG- Ball
SG- Ingram
SF- George
PF- Randle
C- Cousins

Now that is a good, young fun team that fits together and would be hitting its peak just as Golden State is declining.

I want no part of that flake Cousins.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland can't be the favorite at this point. I just don't see what they can do. Too many bad contracts with multiple years left. Love isn't even really a great trade asset anymore. He is okay, but rebuilding teams won't want him and contenders won't give a substantially better piece in a package to acquire him.

If LeBron picks Cleveland, he is choosing the Kobe route.

I agree that there really doesn't seem to be a way for the Cavs to improve enough.

The reason I have the Cavs as the favorite is because I believe that in his heart, Lebron would prefer to stay put and will give the Cavs every opportunity to pull off a "Festivus Miracle" and get him the help he needs.

I don't think they'll pull it off, but I think Lebron will give them every opportunity.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PG- Ball
SG- Ingram
SF- George
PF- Randle
C- Cousins

As I've said before, I'm scared to death of that Achilles. If Boogie doesn't come back at least close to 100%, then the Lakers are stuck with a bad contract and no cap space to get anyone else in the next off-season.

Maybe if there are assurances that it looks like he'll be good to go and they signed him to a shorter deal (maybe 3 years with a team option on year 3) I'd be more comfortable.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want no part of that flake Cousins.

See, I've changed my thinking on him a little. I wasn't a fan of the Lakers getting him when the idea was first thrown out there.

But, as was pointed out to me, he has actually been a solid citizen in Nawlins' so I'm less skeptical.

Plus, some of what we saw/heard about in Sacramento may have been frustration with a poorly run franchise.

But that Achilles does scare me though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice how the Pelicans hit their stride once Boogie went down with that achilles injury?

I think that had more to do with him and AD learning to play together more than anything else. I don't recall hearing about any attitude issues with Boogie before he got hurt.

As a Heat fan, you should know from Lebron's first year in Miami, that stars learning to play together can be downright ugly at times.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that had more to do with him and AD learning to play together more than anything else. I don't recall hearing about any attitude issues with Boogie before he got hurt.

As a Heat fan, you should know from Lebron's first year in Miami, that stars learning to play together can be downright ugly at times.

I do. Having said that, Boogie doesn't have a great track record of team success. Now, granted that's taking into account that he's played a majority of his career for one of the most dysfunctional and leaderless organizations in the league. But he's been with the Pelicans for a year and a half and right before he went down, him and AD together weren't exactly a dominating pair; as one would assume they'd be given their collective talent.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, @trojanfan12 having said that, there's a rumor/article down in South Florida that Miami could offer NO Whiteside and Winslow for Boogie - which I'd be absolutely thrilled with and willing to take a gamble on that achilles. Even though for big men it could be a career altering injury.