• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

When will Lebron pass Jordan?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always thought the MJ/LeBron comparison was unfair to LeBron (or anyone else for that matter). Like you said LeBron's game is more similar to Magic's.

He's the best all around player I've ever watched though.

I feel that Lebron is the greatest athlete to ever play the game and Jordan was the greatest skilled player to ever play the game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To argue that they wouldn't be better with those two is really silly.

And yes, coaching is where the Celtics have their biggest advantage over the Cavs, especially in-game coaching.

But whether they would or would not be better is irrelevant to the series right now.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Celtics are a far better 'team" with or without those 2 guys

Cavs have the far better player

Celtics are getting contributions on both ends from every player that enters these games, Cavaliers have gotten zero on either end from so many guys in these playoffs that are getting significant minutes

That's all revisionist history, pretty much everyone had the Cavs as the favorites going into the series. And were the Celtics the 'far better team' the other night getting blown out by like 30 points? If they lose again tonight are they still the 'far better team'?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel that Lebron is the greatest athlete to ever play the game and Jordan was the greatest skilled player to ever play the game.

Can't really argue w/ that.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's all revisionist history, pretty much everyone had the Cavs as the favorites going into the series. And were the Celtics the 'far better team' the other night getting blown out by like 30 points? If they lose again tonight are they still the 'far better team'?

Game 3 was the most predictable thing ever, Cavs were playing for their lives, Celtics were playing like a team up 2 games to none......

Ill put it this way, whether you agree or not...If Lebron leaves the Cavs after this season? They will be in the lottery next season and lucky to win 20 games

We already seen this movie when he left Cleveland the first time, its how they landed Kyrie...

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why they should be considered the 2 best ever. If not then some lesser athlete or lesser skilled player is above them.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why they should be considered the 2 best ever. If not then some lesser athlete or lesser skilled player is above them.

I have LeBron #2 all time (though it excludes some all time greats that I didn't see like Wilt or prime Kareem) It's amazing that he is in his 15th season still performing at an all time great level, he's a freak athlete.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To argue that they wouldn't be better with those two is really silly.

And yes, coaching is where the Celtics have their biggest advantage over the Cavs, especially in-game coaching.

Nobody ever said they wouldn't be better.

I said they wouldn't be MUCH better.

They are very good as is. And yes, the East is weak. Still has nothing to do with any of the points you are trying to make.

Answer this 1 question for me. Take LeBron off this Cleveland team and how many games do you think they win?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can.

Jordan was a freak athlete too. His overall skill level is probably pretty similar to LeBron's.

Most skilled players ever are guys like Steph Curry, Steve Nash, maybe even James Harden. At least the first two are below average NBA athletes and they have multiple MVP awards. Larry Bird is in that category too. All those guys were definitely more "skilled" than both MJ and LeBron.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have LeBron #2 all time (though it excludes some all time greats that I didn't see like Wilt or prime Kareem) It's amazing that he is in his 15th season still performing at an all time great level, he's a freak athlete.

Then why the hell do you keep arguing?

I have LeBron at 2 also. Although I do think it is closer than you do.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody ever said they wouldn't be better.

I said they wouldn't be MUCH better.

They are very good as is. And yes, the East is weak. Still has nothing to do with any of the points you are trying to make.

Answer this 1 question for me. Take LeBron off this Cleveland team and how many games do you think they win?

I will do my best @flyerhawk impersonation and say that your question to me is irrelevant to our discussion, good sir.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will do my best @flyerhawk impersonation and say that your question to me is irrelevant to our discussion, good sir.

Not at all.

Because if you believe, like I do that the Cav roster is utter garbage. Then it matters a lot.

The Celtics won 2 playoff series without Irving and earned the 2 seed without Hayward. They are very good without them.

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.

Because if you believe, like I do that the Cav roster is utter garbage. Then it matters a lot.

The Celtics won 2 playoff series without Irving and earned the 2 seed without Hayward. They are very good without them.

the C's got taken to 7 games by Milaukee in the first round and easily could've lost that series, and I don't remember many people giving them a chance to beat Philly either.

Last edited:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What exactly did Jordan do that Lebron can't?

Go look at steals and all NBA 1st team defense awards to start.

As a pure scorer, Lebron can't hold Jordan's jock with 3 hands.

Don't ask me why Lebron has half as many defensive awards as MJ as well

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom Line

The difference between Jordan and Lebron as far as public perception goes, is as follows (and Ive lived through both eras)

Back in Jordans' day, he had plenty of haters, especially here in New York....But to a man, every single one them had to acknowledge the absolute greatness they are witnessing, the hate stemmed from his greatness

With Lebron? His haters go to such ridiculous lengths to hate him, that they actually diminish how great he is, usually by using the most senseless measures.......Basically people are almost lying to themselves, convincing themselves that they arent really seeing what they are.......People are missing out on the Lebron era, it should be appreciated, you may not see it again in your lifetime

Jordan will always be measured in comparison by TEAM accomplishments, because quite frankly he could not do the things on a basketball court that Lebron can..Period

I found it interesting Steve Kerr recently said "i could never play in todays NBA with these athletes".......Think that speaks volumes when it comes to this comparison

All this from a MJ hater. I'd love to see Steph Curry play back in the 80s or 90s. Curry would be Steve Kerr because if he went in the paint the dude is getting hammered

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look at steals and all NBA 1st team defense awards to start.

As a pure scorer, Lebron can't hold Jordan's jock with 3 hands.

Don't ask me why Lebron has half as many defensive awards as MJ as well

Some of them just don't know....

Michael Jordan in one single season (1987-88) won: NBA MVP, Defensive Player of the Year (the first guard to ever win it) led the league in scoring, and led the league in steals. This was all in ONE season ( oh, and he also won all star game MVP too)

Imagine if LeBron did this today ESPN would have a week long celebration and dedicate all their programming to him if he did.

Michael Jordan had 3 seasons (he's the only player to do this more than once) with at least 200 steals and 100 blocks LeBron has never done this once and some people have the nerve to say he's a better defender than Jordan.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game 3 was the most predictable thing ever, Cavs were playing for their lives, Celtics were playing like a team up 2 games to none......

Ill put it this way, whether you agree or not...If Lebron leaves the Cavs after this season? They will be in the lottery next season and lucky to win 20 games

We already seen this movie when he left Cleveland the first time, its how they landed Kyrie...

OF course they will. If Lebron leaves so will Love and Korver and Smith probably. It will be an entirely new team full of young rookies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anyone over the age of 40 who thinks that LBJ is close to being better than Jordan?

I hated Jordan and the way the media drooled all over him the first few years in the league. But I can't deny he is the best I have ever seen. The only players who come close were deep into their careers by the time I watched them. Magic, Bird, Kareem all should be in the discussion as greatest ever, before we start talking about LeBron. There is also a list of players from before the 80's who should be considered in the greatest ever category, but I didn't see any of them play.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of them just don't know....

Michael Jordan in one single season (1987-88) won: NBA MVP, Defensive Player of the Year (the first guard to ever win it) led the league in scoring, and led the league in steals. This was all in ONE season ( oh, and he also won all star game MVP too)

Imagine if LeBron did this today ESPN would have a week long celebration and dedicate all their programming to him if he did.

Michael Jordan had 3 seasons (he's the only player to do this more than once) with at least 200 steals and 100 blocks LeBron has never done this once and some people have the nerve to say he's a better defender than Jordan.

Many on here at tHoop forget about defense. So has the most of the NBA until about April.

Interesting stat... back in the 80s/90s you had 3-5 teams averaging over 100 a game per year. Today? Almost the entire NBA averages over 100.

It's went to crazy physical in the 80s to man physical in the 90s and now the refs are way too involved and give out too many flagrants IMO.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many on here at tHoop forget about defense. So has the most of the NBA until about April.

Interesting stat... back in the 80s/90s you had 3-5 teams averaging over 100 a game per year. Today? Almost the entire NBA averages over 100.

It's went to crazy physical in the 80s to man physical in the 90s and now the refs are way too involved and give out too many flagrants IMO.
It's got nothing to do with flagrants. They literally changed the rules of the sport to get scoring because when you have a playoff game final score at 68-64 something's wrong