• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the perfect playoff system?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't hardly find ANYONE in the media that agrees with you that the AAC was a better overall conference than the Pac 12. Heck, I'm not sure I've found anyone else on this message board that agrees with you. That seems to hint bias to me...especially with UCF being your team.

It's tougher for non power 5 teams to make the playoffs, but you can't cry when you didn't play any of them last year to prove how good a team you had. Boise St would have likely made the playoffs if they had a 4 team playoff in the 2000's IMO. Why? Because they scheduled some TOUGH teams and won. UCF just didn't have the resume to be considered a playoff team IMO.

Why do I need to find someone that agrees with me? It's my opinion. I'm using facts and stats I've gathered and seen to form it. I don't need to read it somewhere in order to feel this way.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8 team playoff. Teams selected by the same or similar committee.
No auto bid for conference winners.
This would be perfect.
Clemson vs UCF
Oklahoma vs USC
Georgia vs Ohio State
Bama vs Wisconsin

It would have worked perfect this season. All conference winners would have made it. I think the committee would have rated UCF at 8 if it was an 8 team playoff.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, the playoff committee decides who the 4 best teams are. Conference championships play a HUGE role in that (75% of the playoff teams have been conference champions the past 2 seasons).

Are you really arguing that Alabama WASN'T the best team in the country last night?

What I'm saying is if conference titles matter so much then how come Ohio State was left out this year and Penn State was left out last year? Conference titles obviously don't mean that much when it comes to deciding who should be in the playoff.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. We aren't arguing who the best teams in the country were and I certainly never said anything about Bama not being the best or one of the best.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do I need to find someone that agrees with me? It's my opinion. I'm using facts and stats I've gathered and seen to form it. I don't need to read it somewhere in order to feel this way.

It helps to find other people, mainly professionals, but even sports fans, that agree with you when stating an opinion. Obviously those facts aren't compelling enough to find anyone else to agree with you.

Maybe, there are more people on the board that agree with you. Who else thinks that the AAC was a better overall conference than the Pac 12 last year?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm saying is if conference titles matter so much then how come Ohio State was left out this year and Penn State was left out last year? Conference titles obviously don't mean that much when it comes to deciding who should be in the playoff.

Also, please don't put words in my mouth. We aren't arguing who the best teams in the country were and I certainly never said anything about Bama not being the best or one of the best.

Conference titles can't be the determining factor, because then there would be NO need for a selection committee. There is ONLY 4 playoff spots. IMO, it is a GREAT system, that rewards conference titles, but doesn't let that be the ONLY factor.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It helps to find other people, mainly professionals, but even sports fans, that agree with you when stating an opinion. Obviously those facts aren't compelling enough to find anyone else to agree with you.

Maybe, there are more people on the board that agree with you. Who else thinks that the AAC was a better overall conference than the Pac 12 last year?

Those facts are compelling enough for me and that's all I care about lol. I don't get why I need anyone to agree with me on this.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes YOU are! You said Alabama didn't deserve a playoff spot this year. The selection committee's job is to choose the BEST teams, and they chose Alabama as one of those teams. They were proven right when Alabama beat both Clemson AND Georgia in consecutive weeks. They made the BEST decision by including them in the playoffs this year.

It sounds like you would have preferred them to NOT be chosen because they didn't win their conference championship. That would have been a BIG mistake IMO.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those facts are compelling enough for me and that's all I care about lol. I don't get why I need anyone to agree with me on this.

Fair enough! :suds:

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference titles can't be the determining factor, because then there would be NO need for a selection committee. There is ONLY 4 playoff spots. IMO, it is a GREAT system, that rewards conference titles, but doesn't let that be the ONLY factor.
How does this system reward conference titles when 2 conference champs were left out this year and at least 1 is left out EVERY year? Penn State beat Ohio State last year for the conference title yet Ohio State gets the playoff spot. Alabama doesn't even play in their conference title game and Ohio State wins their conference title yet Bama gets in? Where's the reward for conference titles there? Conference titles shouldn't be the ONLY determining factor, I agree with that, but when deciding between two teams that are close to one another, a conference title SHOULD mean more in my opinion.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Conference championships would matter in an 8 team playoff.
This year:
USC wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
Ohio State wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
UCF wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
Georgia wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does this system reward conference titles when 2 conference champs were left out this year and at least 1 is left out EVERY year? Penn State beat Ohio State last year for the conference title yet Ohio State gets the playoff spot. Alabama doesn't even play in their conference title game and Ohio State wins their conference title yet Bama gets in? Where's the reward for conference titles there? Conference titles shouldn't be the ONLY determining factor, I agree with that, but when deciding between two teams that are close to one another, a conference title SHOULD mean more in my opinion.

Again, 75% of the playoff teams were conference champions the past two seasons. I think that PROVES they reward conference champions MORE than those who do not win their conference. The fact of the matter, their job is to choose the best teams...not simply rubber stamp conference champions into the playoffs.

Again, they made the right decision this year in including Alabama in the playoffs. They got it right, even if Bama didn't win their conference this year. They deserve A LOT of credit for that.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Conference championships would matter in an 8 team playoff.
This year:
USC wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
Ohio State wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
UCF wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship
Georgia wouldn't have made it without winning their conference championship

I don't think we need an 8-team playoff. I'm fully behind a 6-team playoff. 5 conference champions and an at-large. Perfect scenario for me would be the 6th seed goes to the best non-power 5 team. But that's probably not a good idea either lol.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, 75% of the playoff teams were conference champions the past two seasons. I think that PROVES they reward conference champions MORE than those who do not win their conference. The fact of the matter, their job is to choose the best teams...not simply rubber stamp conference champions into the playoffs.

Again, they made the right decision this year in including Alabama in the playoffs. They got it right, even if Bama didn't win their conference this year. They deserve A LOT of credit for that.

I disagree. Those 3 conference title that are rewarded are merely by default because usually you are a top team in the rankings because you've won your conference. I'm speaking to the last 2 years and the last 2 decisions made by the committee to leave out a conference champion in favor of a non-conference champion that may have had a better resume or whatever the case may be.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bama was the wrong choice in my opinion.

Let me just remind you that you stated that "your opinion" is that Bama was the wrong choice for the playoffs this year. You are on record as saying that you believe that this year's playoffs should not have included Alabama...who is obviously the best team in the country (as proven by beating both Clemson: ACC champion and UGA: SEC champion the past two weeks).

Seems a little backwards from the goal of having the best teams play in the playoffs every year, doesn't it??

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Those 3 conference title that are rewarded are merely by default because usually you are a top team in the rankings because you've won your conference. I'm speaking to the last 2 years and the last 2 decisions made by the committee to leave out a conference champion in favor of a non-conference champion that may have had a better resume or whatever the case may be.

Again, their job is to choose the best playoff teams...who should have been left off the playoff roster of teams this season in your opinion?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me just remind you that you stated that "your opinion" is that Bama was the wrong choice for the playoffs this year. You are on record as saying that you believe that this year's playoffs should not have included Alabama...who is obviously the best team in the country (as proven by beating both Clemson: ACC champion and UGA: SEC champion the past two weeks).

Seems a little backwards from the goal of having the best teams play in the playoffs every year, doesn't it??

Where you went wrong is you gave Alabama credit for post season wins, and only UCF is supposed to get credit for those.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alabama wasn't the best team in their conference this year, hence why they couldn't win their own conference title. So no, I don't think Bama should've been in the playoff. OSU should've gotten the spot.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama wasn't the best team in their conference this year, hence why they couldn't win their own conference title. So no, I don't think Bama should've been in the playoff. OSU should've gotten the spot.

They weren't? Remind me of whom they beat last night.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remind me who they couldn't beat last month?

So a win in early December, trumps a win in the national title game?

Do you honestly believe that Alabama is NOT the best team in the country? I mean, even better than Georgia. Just your opinion here.