• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the perfect playoff system?

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back on forth on what is the best playoff system. I think the one we have is pretty good but it's not perfect. I think the two best options are:

A) 6 team playoff. All 5 power-5 conference champions and the best group of 5 conference champion make it. Top 2 get a bye.

I realize there isn't a legitimate G5 team every single year, but they'd have to still beat 3 P5 conference champions to actually win it all. So I think if they did that then people shouldn't argue too much.

B) 8-team playoff. The same as above except also 2 "wild card" teams make it.

Thoughts?

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year it would've been either:

A) 3-Georgia vs 6-UCF & 4-Ohio State vs 5-USC
UGA/UCF winner vs 2-Oklahoma
OSU/USC winner vs 1-Clemson

B) 1-Clemson vs 8-UCF
2-Oklahoma vs 7-USC
3-Georgia vs 6-Wisconsin
4-Alabama vs 5-Ohio State

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way it's gonna be fair is if every team plays every other team 3 times each. #OneTrueChamp

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like the way it is now with 4 teams. It still makes every game worth something (one loss could keep you out of the playoffs still), and the controversy it creates is GREAT for the sport IMO. Drama brings ratings.

If they do expand the playoffs, I wouldn't want to see it expand beyond 6 teams. I also wouldn't want to see "automatic bids". Continue to have the committee vote on the best teams. I believe they have done a good job choosing teams since the playoffs began.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this in an article on yahoo sports. Try this one on for size.

* Every Power Five conference goes to 14 teams, with one exception. The Atlantic Coast, Big Ten and SEC already are there. The Big 12 adds four (say UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincinnati). The Pac-12 adds two (say, Boise State and BYU). Independents are told to join up or get out. The exception: ACC adds Notre Dame to go to 15.

* Every power league then has two seven-team divisions, with the ACC having eight in one and seven in the other due to Notre Dame (which goes in the Coastal Division instead of the loaded Atlantic).

* Conference championship games are eradicated at the Power Five level. Divisional champions are crowned and make the playoff, which means you have 10 divisional champs. For 2017 season purposes, those would be the following: Clemson and Miami from ACC; Oklahoma and TCU from the 14-team, two-division Big 12; Ohio State and Wisconsin from the Big Ten; Stanford and USC from the Pac-12; Georgia and Auburn from the SEC. During the regular season they all play round-robin within the division, plus three or four crossover games to maintain some level of conference continuity and rivalry games like Tennessee-Alabama or Auburn-Georgia.

* From the Group of Five conferences, play 11 regular season games and have a conference championship game on Thanksgiving weekend. The champions of those conferences all make the playoff. For 2017 purposes, that’s UCF, Florida Atlantic, Toledo, Boise State, Troy.

* That produces 15 automatic qualifiers for the playoff — 10 divisional champions from the Power Five and five conference champions from the Group of Five.

* The last bid goes to a single at-large team, the highest-ranked non-champion according to a selection committee that actually does far less selecting and far more seeding in this format. This year that would have been Alabama.

Seeds and matchups for what would have been the 2017 playoff, with the opening round on campuses Dec 1-2:

Troy (16) at Clemson (1)
FAU (15) at Oklahoma (2)
Toledo (14) at Georgia (3)
Boise State (13) at Alabama (4)
TCU (12) at Ohio State (5)
Stanford (11) at Wisconsin (6)
UCF (10) at Auburn (7)
Miami (9) at USC (8)

Ideally, fall semester finals for playoff teams would be taken between Dec. 4-13.

On Dec. 14-15-16, play the quarterfinals. Ideally still on campus.

Between the quarterfinal round and New Year’s Day, play 30 traditional bowl games matching up teams that didn’t make the playoff. That preserves the bowl structure and bowl experience coaches and administrators rhapsodize about.

On Jan. 1, play the semifinals as currently formatted, in major bowl venues.

And on Jan. 8, play the championship game as currently formatted.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be fun to see that tournament, but there is a reason that the numbers for NCAA basketball are so low during the regular season, and skyrocket during the tournament. Because many games during the season don't really matter.

Under the above scenario, there would be several 3 and 4 loss teams in the 16 team tournament. I just don't think they deserve a shot at a national title. Just my two cents. Leave it at 4 teams or don't expand it past 6 teams (I could be persuaded to 8 teams, but I don't it would be a good thing)

Also, if you expand it to 16 teams, what would be the incentive to play a good OOC game? Just do well in conference (only lose a few games at worst) and you are in.

I think it is GREAT right now, and really enjoyed (aside from Michigan crapping the bed) this past season.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I found this in an article on yahoo sports. Try this one on for size.

* Every Power Five conference goes to 14 teams, with one exception. The Atlantic Coast, Big Ten and SEC already are there. The Big 12 adds four (say UCF, USF, Memphis, Cincinnati). The Pac-12 adds two (say, Boise State and BYU). Independents are told to join up or get out. The exception: ACC adds Notre Dame to go to 15.

* Every power league then has two seven-team divisions, with the ACC having eight in one and seven in the other due to Notre Dame (which goes in the Coastal Division instead of the loaded Atlantic).

* Conference championship games are eradicated at the Power Five level. Divisional champions are crowned and make the playoff, which means you have 10 divisional champs. For 2017 season purposes, those would be the following: Clemson and Miami from ACC; Oklahoma and TCU from the 14-team, two-division Big 12; Ohio State and Wisconsin from the Big Ten; Stanford and USC from the Pac-12; Georgia and Auburn from the SEC. During the regular season they all play round-robin within the division, plus three or four crossover games to maintain some level of conference continuity and rivalry games like Tennessee-Alabama or Auburn-Georgia.

* From the Group of Five conferences, play 11 regular season games and have a conference championship game on Thanksgiving weekend. The champions of those conferences all make the playoff. For 2017 purposes, that’s UCF, Florida Atlantic, Toledo, Boise State, Troy.

* That produces 15 automatic qualifiers for the playoff — 10 divisional champions from the Power Five and five conference champions from the Group of Five.

* The last bid goes to a single at-large team, the highest-ranked non-champion according to a selection committee that actually does far less selecting and far more seeding in this format. This year that would have been Alabama.

Seeds and matchups for what would have been the 2017 playoff, with the opening round on campuses Dec 1-2:

Troy (16) at Clemson (1)
FAU (15) at Oklahoma (2)
Toledo (14) at Georgia (3)
Boise State (13) at Alabama (4)
TCU (12) at Ohio State (5)
Stanford (11) at Wisconsin (6)
UCF (10) at Auburn (7)
Miami (9) at USC (8)

Ideally, fall semester finals for playoff teams would be taken between Dec. 4-13.

On Dec. 14-15-16, play the quarterfinals. Ideally still on campus.

Between the quarterfinal round and New Year’s Day, play 30 traditional bowl games matching up teams that didn’t make the playoff. That preserves the bowl structure and bowl experience coaches and administrators rhapsodize about.

On Jan. 1, play the semifinals as currently formatted, in major bowl venues.

And on Jan. 8, play the championship game as currently formatted.
I think anymore than 8-teams in a playoff is probably far-fetched. That being said I love college football and would definitely enjoy watching all the games in a 16-team playoff. And if you ever went that far (which is too may in my opinion) then I definitely think you need some automatic qualifiers like conference champions, etc.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, a 6-team playoff is perfect. Satisfies all needs. 5 power 5 conference champs and the highest ranked non-power 5 conference team. The top 2 teams get a bye and the other four play. Just like the NFL playoffs. It gives all power 5 conference a team in the playoff and it shines a spotlight on a non-power 5 team. I mean look at what could happen with some spotlight shining on a non-power 5 school. UCF has "stolen" two recruits that were previously committed to power 5 conference teams. Imagine if Western Michigan or UCF had a playoff spotlight shine on them. How would their recruiting class have improved?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
129-team double elimination tournament!

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion, a 6-team playoff is perfect. Satisfies all needs. 5 power 5 conference champs and the highest ranked non-power 5 conference team. The top 2 teams get a bye and the other four play. Just like the NFL playoffs. It gives all power 5 conference a team in the playoff and it shines a spotlight on a non-power 5 team. I mean look at what could happen with some spotlight shining on a non-power 5 school. UCF has "stolen" two recruits that were previously committed to power 5 conference teams. Imagine if Western Michigan or UCF had a playoff spotlight shine on them. How would their recruiting class have improved?

I still don't think you give teams like UCF an automatic bid (obviously they wouldn't have made even an 8 team playoff this year as they were still ranked out of the top 8 at the end of the regular season). If they had a playoff system that rewarded teams for simply going undefeated back in the 2000's, than Boise St would have been undefeated 5 times in the 2000's (because they wouldn't have scheduled a good OOC game if they didn't have to). So it gives teams in a crappy conference a backdoor into the playoffs if they simply just go undefeated.

I don't like automatic bids at all. Let the committee choose the best 4, 6, or 8 teams. Controversy in selecting playoff teams is good for the sport IMO, and it creates an atmosphere where teams get rewarded for tough OOC games.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't think you give teams like UCF an automatic bid. If they had a playoff system that rewarded teams for simply going undefeated back in the 2000's, than Boise St would have been undefeated 5 times in the 2000's (because they wouldn't have scheduled a good OOC game if they didn't have to). So it gives teams in a crappy conference a backdoor into the playoffs if they simply just go undefeated.

I don't like automatic bids at all. Let the committee choose the best 4, 6, or 8 teams. Controversy in selecting playoff teams is good for the sport IMO, and it creates an atmosphere where teams get rewarded for tough OOC games.

Teams in a crappy conference. How are they a crappy conference? Because they aren't power 5 conferences? Every single conference, power 5 or not, has their bottom dwelling teams that bring the conference down. Every conference also has their elite teams that bring the conference up.

Which conference was better this year, the Pac 12 or the AAC? Provide reasons also please.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams in a crappy conference. How are they a crappy conference? Because they aren't power 5 conferences? Every single conference, power 5 or not, has their bottom dwelling teams that bring the conference down. Every conference also has their elite teams that bring the conference up.

Which conference was better this year, the Pac 12 or the AAC? Provide reasons also please.

Maybe I'm wrong here...Where does their conference rank among all the other conferences? Who are the elite teams in their conference?

Also, did the Pac 12 get a playoff team this year? I'm not sure why we need to compare two conferences that didn't have anyone represent them in the playoffs this year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm wrong here...Where does their conference rank among all the other conferences? Who are the elite teams in their conference?

Also, did the Pac 12 get a playoff team this year? I'm not sure why we need to compare two conferences that didn't have anyone represent them in the playoffs this year.

They probably have the 6th best conference in the country. I personally would put them ahead of the Pac 12 but that's my opinion. The best teams in the AAC are UCF, USF, Memphis, Navy and Houston. The Pac-12 did not have a playoff team this year and they finished 1-8 in bowl games. AAC was 4-3.

AAC was 1-3 vs. ACC, 2-1 vs. B1G, 1-6 vs. Big 12, 2-0 vs. Pac-12 and 1-1 vs. SEC. They are able to keep up with most Power-5 conference.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They probably have the 6th best conference in the country. I personally would put them ahead of the Pac 12 but that's my opinion. The best teams in the AAC are UCF, USF, Memphis, Navy and Houston. The Pac-12 did not have a playoff team this year and they finished 1-8 in bowl games. AAC was 4-3.

AAC was 1-3 vs. ACC, 2-1 vs. B1G, 1-6 vs. Big 12, 2-0 vs. Pac-12 and 1-1 vs. SEC. They are able to keep up with most Power-5 conference.

Judging by conference wins against teams in the final top 25, it isn't even close.

Record against the top 25:
AAC: 5-27 (UCF had 4 of those wins)
Pac 12: 11-36 (seven Pac 12 teams had a win against the top 25)

All due respect to the AAC, but it just isn't a quality conference. UCF did have a great year! Congrats!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging by conference wins against teams in the final top 25, it isn't even close.

Record against the top 25:
AAC: 5-27 (UCF had 4 of those wins)
Pac 12: 11-36 (seven Pac 12 teams had a win against the top 25)

All due respect to the AAC, but it just isn't a quality conference. UCF did have a great year! Congrats!

AAC had a better season than the Pac-12 did this year.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAC had a better season than the Pac-12 did this year.

Based on what? The Pac 12 had more top 25 wins, and more teams with top 25 wins. I still haven't found any sports news site that ranks them higher than #6 in conference strength.

The AAC was a one trick pony, and Memphis was the only other team that registered a top 25 win this year in the entire conference.

daglafe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go back on forth on what is the best playoff system. I think the one we have is pretty good but it's not perfect. I think the two best options are:

A) 6 team playoff. All 5 power-5 conference champions and the best group of 5 conference champion make it. Top 2 get a bye.

I realize there isn't a legitimate G5 team every single year, but they'd have to still beat 3 P5 conference champions to actually win it all. So I think if they did that then people shouldn't argue too much.

B) 8-team playoff. The same as above except also 2 "wild card" teams make it.

Thoughts?

Option B for a few reasons:

1) Byes take away the level playing field (starting in the playoff) and bring in the subjectivity of a committee.
2) Winning a conference title needs to mean something.
3) 2 wild card spots can award teams that not only do well in their conference but also schedule well outside of it (Don't win your conference, there is still a spot to play for). Plus those two spots allow the powers that be the chance to put in their $ favorites in while still reserving 6 spots for conference champs.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Option B for a few reasons:

1) Byes take away the level playing field (starting in the playoff) and bring in the subjectivity of a committee.
2) Winning a conference title needs to mean something.
3) 2 wild card spots can award teams that not only do well in their conference but also schedule well outside of it. Plus those two spots allow the powers that be the chance to put in their $ favorites in while still reserving 6 spots for conference champs.

I don't think giving a team an automatic bid is the best thing for these playoffs. I still don't think the Pac 12 had a top 6 or even 8 team IMO. It was just an off year for them, and I'm glad they didn't make the playoffs just because their top team won the conference.