• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the deal with Deon Sanders?

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, Deion deserves criticism. Dumping four ice buckets on an old man wearing a suit was pretty childish.

Tim was entitled to his opinion but he was coming across as an old "back in MY day" and "get off my lawn" crank. Tim played in an era when baseball players didn't make much, travel was very different, and there were no such things as two-sport stars. Deion also had a contract with the Falcons; should he have dishonored that one?

There was no disloyalty, IMO, on Deion's part for wanting to play in both a football and baseball game on the same day. I'm not even sure if his absence would have impacted the Braves that much, he was a platoon outfielder on a loaded Braves team. I would say his presence on the football team was more critical, despite the Braves being in a playoff series. He was much more impactful in football games than baseball ones.
Excellent points.

Deion was the "speed guy" on the Braves who were loaded as you pointed out.

McCarver was old school clearly and would defend his unwritten rules of baseball over any sport. It didn't matter if deion was in the NHL or NBA...the response would have been the same. Baseball first because it's the most important was his mentality obviously. I am sure he felt the same about bo jackson.

Should mccarver have kept his opinion to himself, probably. I dont think he personally went after or attacked deions family or took out an opinion piece on deion. The only time he attacked sanders is when he said "you're a real man deion" after the 3rd ice bucket. I doubt most of the posters on this thread even remember the incident. Deion dumped 4 buckets on him..not one.

I doubt anyone whom defend Zack Wilson if he dumped 4 buckets of ice water on Stephen A. if the jets win the division. Stephen A. Is much more harsh on players than mccarver was.

Bottom line, drama follows deion wherever he goes.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real question is why does the media refer to him as Coach "Prime"?? Do I have to refer to him as Coach Prime? Should Saban start going by Coach "Kickass"? What about Coach "More Wins than You"?
While Im not a Saban fan, Gotta admit that Coach Winner and Coach Champion and Coach Rings sound pretty good. LOL

Nope. TCU's coach took an unnecessary shot at Deion. Nebraska's coach did the same thing. And so did CSU's coach.

They all went outta their way to criticize him.

There's nothing outta place at all. Just some people have issues with Deion for being himself.
Yea, I don't get it. Why do these guys hand out bulletin board material? Keep your mouth shut and beat him on the field.

Then, in your own press conference, talk about how no one believed in your team, that no one believed they could beat Colorado, and about all the receipts you kept. That would be hilarious.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Tim McCarver was a hater?

Gotcha.

I am sure every single broadcaster in MLB would agree with you. They should strip him of the numerous broadcasting awards he received in his career.

McCarver was not and never was a hater.
Tim is that you?

Oh boy

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While Im not a Saban fan, Gotta admit that Coach Winner and Coach Champion and Coach Rings sound pretty good. LOL

Yea, I don't get it. Why do these guys hand out bulletin board material? Keep your mouth shut and beat him on the field.

Then, in your own press conference, talk about how no one believed in your team, that no one believed they could beat Colorado, and about all the receipts you kept. That would be hilarious.

It could get ugly for CSU tomorrow night.

CFB gameday's in the Boulder this weekend. Might check it out tomorrow.

Fitbud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, Deion deserves criticism. Dumping four ice buckets on an old man wearing a suit was pretty childish.

Tim was entitled to his opinion but he was coming across as an old "back in MY day" and "get off my lawn" crank. Tim played in an era when baseball players didn't make much, travel was very different, and there were no such things as two-sport stars. Deion also had a contract with the Falcons; should he have dishonored that one?

There was no disloyalty, IMO, on Deion's part for wanting to play in both a football and baseball game on the same day. I'm not even sure if his absence would have impacted the Braves that much, he was a platoon outfielder on a loaded Braves team. I would say his presence on the football team was more critical, despite the Braves being in a playoff series. He was much more impactful in football games than baseball ones.
Lol. That was always one of my favorite clips! “You’re a real man, Deion!!” Bahahaha

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slightly better than Coach Too Short Too Slow White Boy

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deion's nickname during his playing days was Prime Time.

When has Saban ever been referred to as Coach Kickass?
Yeah, no shit. But if Brady went into coaching, would we have to call him Coach GOAT?

If Charles Barkley went into coaching, we'd call him Coach "Round Mound of Rebound"?

Michael Jordan has to go by Coach Air?

William Perry is Coach Fridge?

Joe Namath is Coach Broadway?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no shit. But if Brady went into coaching, would we have to call him Coach GOAT?

If Charles Barkley went into coaching, we'd call him Coach "Round Mound of Rebound"?

Michael Jordan has to go by Coach Air?

William Perry is Coach Fridge?

Joe Namath is Coach Broadway?

You tried to give Saban a nickname nobody has ever called him by. Same with Barkley. Same with Jordan. Same with William Perry. And same with Namath.

So what exactly is your real issue with Deion?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Platoon outfielder that played all 7 games of the World Series and would have been mvp had the Braves won.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You tried to give Saban a nickname nobody has ever called him by. Same with Barkley. Same with Jordan. Same with William Perry. And same with Namath.

So what exactly is your real issue with Deion?

No one has ever called Barkley the "Round Mound of Rebound"? No one has called Jordan "Air Jordan"? No one has ever called Perry "The Fridge"? No one has ever called Joe Namath "Broadway Joe"?

Did you just start watching sports this year?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one has ever called Barkley the "Round Mound of Rebound"? No one has called Jordan "Air Jordan"? No one has ever called Perry "The Fridge"? No one has ever called Joe Namath "Broadway Joe"?

Did you just start watching sports this year?

Yeah my bad on that one. Was in a hurry. Didn't really read what you said.

Anyway why won't you answer what I asked you? I always get a laugh outta people that talk shit about someone but don't have the guts to say why.

What exactly is your real issues with Deion? It's not just that people call him Coach Prime.

And one more thing. Did Barkley, MJ or Namath ever coach? Nope. So your whole rant was pointless.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyway why won't you answer what I asked you? I always get a laugh outta people that talk shit about someone but don't have the guts to say why.

What exactly is your real issues with Deion? It's not just that people call him Coach Prime.

And one more thing. Did Barkley, MJ or Namath ever coach? Nope. So your whole rant was pointless.

This is college football, not the WWE. Name another coach that insists that the press call him by "Coach [Nickname]".

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is college football, not the WWE. Name another coach that insists that the press call him by "Coach [Nickname]".

I think it's hilarious anything about Deion bothers you so much. Why exactly?

Have a good day. And keep that Deion hate of yours flowing.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazon Primetime GIF by NFL On Prime Video

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think people have a few issues with Deion.

Personally, my only issue was what he did to the players that were already there when he took over. Him coming in talking about "I'm coming" and getting rid of them, having a team meeting where he was yelling at them, basically saying "pack your shit and get out", recording it and letting it get out publicly was bullshit. Those players didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that.

I'm sure those kids were smart enough to know that many of them were going to be replaced, but there was no reason to make it public like that. By way of comparison, when Lincoln Riley took over at USC, he made a lot of changes to the roster, but didn't do it by publicly embarrassing them. The only time anyone heard anything were just brief announcements as players went into the portal.

I think some, especially other coaches, feel he "skipped the line'. I don't have an issue with that because that's on the schools that hired him. What's he supposed to do? Turn down the offer? Every one of those folks would have "skipped the line" if they could. Also, so far, he's been successful and it's not like he took over for Saban at Bama. He has taken over programs that were in bad shape.

As for the Coach Prime stuff...I find it kind of silly...but dude has been known as Prime Time or Prime more than he's been known as Deion since college. So it's kind of meh as far as I'm concerned.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he seems to be the same cocky and arrogant person he was while he played.always thinking he was the best at whatever he does or does,nt do.i never cared for him s a player and don,t like him as coach,but i give him the nod for being a good coach

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he seems to be the same cocky and arrogant person he was while he played.always thinking he was the best at whatever he does or does,nt do.i never cared for him s a player and don,t like him as coach,but i give him the nod for being a good coach

Yeah, I'm not even sure he's a good coach, but he doesn't necessarily have to be because he's shown that he can recruit, motivate and hire a good staff. In todays game, those 3 things are more important for a head coach than whether or not he himself is a good coach.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not even sure he's a good coach, but he doesn't necessarily have to be because he's shown that he can recruit, motivate and hire a good staff. In todays game, those 3 things are more important for a head coach than whether or not he himself is a good coach.
he,s gotten most of his players through the portal.i give him credit for being a great coach so far and motivator