• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will LeBron Do This Summer?

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to think about.

The PG/Indiana situation was the first thing that came to mind.

Kawhi would have to personally come out and say he's not playing for anyone but the Lakers no matter what for it to be a done deal.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The "super team" concept is nothing new in the NBA. How many titles did Michael Jordan win before Chicago traded for Scottie Pippen - a top 50 GOAT player in his own right - after the Supersonics drafted him? Then the second three-peat had Rodman as well.

The Celtics pioneered the modern concept of a "big 3" when they traded for KG and Ray Allen to pair them with Paul Pierce, all in their primes at the time. That was no better than LeBron going to Miami to team up with Wade and Bosh (and an old Ray Allen briefly) or Cleveland with Kyrie and Kevin Love.

Lastly, the Celtics (17) and Lakers (16) both have 10+ more titles than the next team with 6 (Warriors and Bulls). LeBron played on none of those championship teams for any of those 4 teams. The bashing LeBron for needing "super teams" to help him win just makes no sense. Not to mention that Durant went to the 73-win Warriors who had barely just lost the finals to LeBron and Cleveland to "prove he could win a title".

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to think about.

I've never understood this line of thinking in situations like this, really in any sport. Shouldn't the object be to get the best return no matter what? If its to a rival, trade him to a rival. It's not like SA would be competing for championships in that window anyway. So let's say Kawhi gets traded to LA and plays with Lebron and PG. At Lebron's age, you'd expect what, a 3 to 4 year dynasty window? That'll be the same time frame of when whatever young players (Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, whoever) will just be entering their prime and if managed correctly, you'll have cap space too. Teams on different trajectories, so do what's best for you, not just doing things to spite others. But I guess I'm wrong because it pops up a lot regardless of the sport.

What's actually dumb imo is doing what Cleveland did, trading a key piece (Kyrie) to a team competing for the Finals while you're still trying to get to the Finals. It's like leading a race by 4 car lengths but then purposely slowing yourself down just to run side by side with the guy in 2nd place.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never understood this line of thinking in situations like this, really in any sport. Shouldn't the object be to get the best return no matter what? If its to a rival, trade him to a rival. It's not like SA would be competing for championships in that window anyway. So let's say Kawhi gets traded to LA and plays with Lebron and PG. At Lebron's age, you'd expect what, a 3 to 4 year dynasty window? That'll be the same time frame of when whatever young players (Ingram, Kuzma, Ball, whoever) will just be entering their prime and if managed correctly, you'll have cap space too. Teams on different trajectories, so do what's best for you, not just doing things to spite others. But I guess I'm wrong because it pops up a lot regardless of the sport.

What's actually dumb imo is doing what Cleveland did, trading a key piece (Kyrie) to a team competing for the Finals while you're still trying to get to the Finals. It's like leading a race by 4 car lengths but then purposely slowing yourself down just to run side by side with the guy in 2nd place.

I think the concept of not trading a player to a rival actually makes sense in the NFL, where division titles actually matter and you don't have over half the teams making the playoffs each year like in the NBA. In football, trading a player to a division rival could easily have playoff ramifications between both teams involved, as could even keeping them in the conference (though to a lesser degree than keeping them within the division). In the NBA, I don't really see how it matters unless it's a matter of trying to keep a player out of one of the conferences entirely. But as you alluded to, given the lack of parity and the amount of predictability in the NBA, even that really isn't necessarily that big of a deal.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ingram/Kuzma/Ball possibly may never enter the same tier as George and Leonard (taking Lebron out of the equation). If Kawhi gets traded to LA, I feel that starts a domino effect with Lebron and George. George and Leonard are 28 and 26 respectively; that's at least a 6-year window having to deal with these two. And in the end, Boston can offer more than the Lakers can given that they have a cache of picks, which San Antonio is known for hitting on more than any other team in the league.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Helping a conference rival because one of the most dominant teams in the NBA for the next 5 years directly conflicts with the goals of the Spurs.

What's the point of getting young players if it won't lead to championships because you've help build another team to be superior to yours?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Couldn't agree more. If the Spurs trade Kawhi, they are officially rebuilding and that puts them on a different trajectory than the Lakers as far as contending for titles.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helping a conference rival because one of the most dominant teams in the NBA for the next 5 years directly conflicts with the goals of the Spurs.

What's the point of getting young players if it won't lead to championships because you've help build another team to be superior to yours?

I disagree.

If the Spurs trade Kawhi, they are going into rebuilding mode. That puts them on a completely different trajectory than the Lakers.

The Lakers would be looking to contend for championships beginning immediately. The Spurs would be looking to build towards contending for championships 3-5 years down the road.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

If the Spurs trade Kawhi, they are going into rebuilding mode. That puts them on a completely different trajectory than the Lakers.

The Lakers would be looking to contend for championships beginning immediately. The Spurs would be looking to build towards contending for championships 3-5 years down the road.

Kawhi is 26. And there is no way that the Spurs are looking at a 3-5 year rebuild. Not with Pop as their coach.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kawhi is 26. And there is no way that the Spurs are looking at a 3-5 year rebuild. Not with Pop as their coach.
I totally agree.

If the Spurs trade Leonard I cannot see it being to the LAkers- especially because I cant see the Spurs wanting to touch Lonzo with a 10 foot pole.

If LeBron does go to LA- and there is an opt-in and trade- I will shit my pants if we have to take back that bricklayer who cant make a free throw. What kind of guard shoots 50% from the FT line? Suicide in todays game. At the VERY LEAST spin him to a third team. Draft Colin Sexton. MUCH rather have him.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "super team" concept is nothing new in the NBA. How many titles did Michael Jordan win before Chicago traded for Scottie Pippen - a top 50 GOAT player in his own right - after the Supersonics drafted him? Then the second three-peat had Rodman as well.

The Celtics pioneered the modern concept of a "big 3" when they traded for KG and Ray Allen to pair them with Paul Pierce, all in their primes at the time. That was no better than LeBron going to Miami to team up with Wade and Bosh (and an old Ray Allen briefly) or Cleveland with Kyrie and Kevin Love.

Lastly, the Celtics (17) and Lakers (16) both have 10+ more titles than the next team with 6 (Warriors and Bulls). LeBron played on none of those championship teams for any of those 4 teams. The bashing LeBron for needing "super teams" to help him win just makes no sense. Not to mention that Durant went to the 73-win Warriors who had barely just lost the finals to LeBron and Cleveland to "prove he could win a title".

All super teams but Love, Kyrie and Lebron was no “Super” team. I agree with everything else 100%

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree.

The goal for the Spurs: get the best deal.

Like you said, they are rebuilding. They are 3-4-5 years down the road depending on the circumstances. The Lakers would be in win now for the next 3-4-5 years

Raw_Bee808

Gifted Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winderman: Lakers setting up like 2010 Heat | Commentary

Winderman: Lakers setting up like 2010 Heat | Commentary

The Lakers are the Heat.

Or, more to the point, these Lakers stand to be what the Heat were in 2010.

With this, curiously, yet another moment in NBA time when LeBron James is mulling options beyond Cleveland and when another NBA star is looking to get away — with a third piece positioned to form a Big Three.

No, it won't be as simple to get LeBron, Kawhi Leonard and Paul George together as it was for LeBron, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade to come together with the Heat in 2010.

But it is possible. And workable. With one Lakers icon (Magic Johnson) attempting to repeat what another (Pat Riley) did for the Heat in July 2010.

Start with LeBron.

Shortly after Udonis Haslem mentioned Thursday at the Heat's youth camp that LeBron had visited with him and Wade in Miami during the Cavaliers' playoff run, sparking talk of a Heat reunion, an agent called with the basic message of "stop it."

"LeBron is going to the Lakers," the agent, whose work previously had been tied to LeBron's whims, said. "He's not putting all that work into his house there not to live in it. And all his guys are living there now, too."

Fair enough. Of course, only LeBron knows.

And then came word of Leonard's Friday trade demand.

Yes, the Spurs are under no obligation to deal, not with another year left on Kawhi's contract. And that's where many point out that the last thing San Antonio would do is trade him within the conference.

But then consider that Leonard can become a free agent in a year. So could the Celtics, already facing Kyrie Irving's 2019 free agency, afford dual such risks? Could the 76ers afford to deal draft picks and Dario Saric and then see Leonard walk in July 2019? The last thing the 76ers can afford is a turn back to the Process.

Meanwhile, the Lakers do have pieces in Brandon Ingram and Kyle Kuzma, at least as a starting point.

Beyond all of that, if a trade for Leonard is consummated with matching salaries, the Lakers would have cap space for George even after signing Leonard (particularly if a trade can be struck with Cleveland, similar to the Heat's sign-and-trade for LeBron in 2010, with no need for matching salaries due to the Lakers' cap space).

So LeBron, Leonard, George.

Similar to LeBron, Wade and Bosh, who, like it appears with Kawhi at the moment, felt he needed a change.

This is what teams such as the Lakers do, this is why they exist, this is why Magic Johnson was brought back and Mitch Kupchak was forced aside after failed bids to bring the Lakers to this type of moment.