• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What was the best course that you played?

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Augusta National by far. St. Andrews was a distant second.

Talk about a thread killer, LOL

I'm not even gonna post mine now...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sawmill-image4.png

This course was special to me because I golfed it when it first opened, the fairways were about 10 feet wide but they did alot to it and it was pretty nice last time I was there, it's in Stillwater, MN

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell do I know...Pacific Dunes in Bandon, Oregon fits my eye just fine. US Open here would be brutal, what you don't see is this place is full of gorse, not sure how many of you have played near this noxsious weed before, but it's GONE if your in it.

4125-bigthumbnail.jpg

If ya got the nads, bring your surfbord with ya and take your pick...left or right!

Pacific10.jpg

pacific-dunes_600x477_0.jpg

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell do I know...Pacific Dunes in Bandon, Oregon fits my eye just fine. US Open here would be brutal, what you don't see is this place is full of gorse, not sure how many of you have played near this noxsious weed before, but it's GONE if your in it.

4125-bigthumbnail.jpg

If ya got the nads, bring your surfbord with ya and take your pick...left or right!

Pacific10.jpg

pacific-dunes_600x477_0.jpg

Man, that looks like a tough course; especially if the wind is up.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, that looks like a tough course; especially if the wind is up.

Jeppers...I have played that course 5 times in my life, each time it has brought me to my knees. The wind blows "onshore" like every day, each time I played the course the winds were blowing 15-25 mph. NOTHING in my golf life has humbled me so like that course...I averaged for the 5 rounds around 110, NEVER breaking a 100 there. I play the course in the "off season" to save dollars, not so sure that's the wisest thing to do. Being "humiliated" on a golf course has made me a better overall human being tho and that is what I appreciate the most about Pacific Dunes...GREAT course indeed.
:suds:

simms3920

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I plan on getting up to NY and playing Bethpage...my golf buddy is from Queens and never has played the St. Park tracks there...we wouldn't dare play the tips, but what makes the Blk course so hard?

Worlds Woods...I echo your thoughts there.

Brutal rough, tall fescue, cant make a mistake or you are chipping out, sand and lots of it. Long and hilly, no carts, walking only (the way it should be). Mentally and physically drained by the end.

The money they have made form the opens has allowed them to keep it in gorgeous condition.

That was not always the case. I grew up 10 minutes from Bethpage. Back in the day, before automated tee time systems you would show up on a Saturday morning and there would be 2 hour waits on the 4 other courses, but only 20 minutes on the Black.

The reason was it was in such bad shape, rock hard bare tee boxes, poorly maintained greens and fairways, that it was 5 plus hours of absolute misery.

If you get to Bethpage the Black is the jewel obviously, but if you have the time play the Red as well. If the Black was not there, the Red would be getting lots of attention. The Blue is also a great track.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeppers...I have played that course 5 times in my life, each time it has brought me to my knees. The wind blows "onshore" like every day, each time I played the course the winds were blowing 15-25 mph. NOTHING in my golf life has humbled me so like that course...I averaged for the 5 rounds around 110, NEVER breaking a 100 there. I play the course in the "off season" to save dollars, not so sure that's the wisest thing to do. Being "humiliated" on a golf course has made me a better overall human being tho and that is what I appreciate the most about Pacific Dunes...GREAT course indeed.

Thanks for the pics...the Bandon Dunes area tracks are on my list, but you've pushed it down a couple of rungs...I've been humbled enough for a while!...lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brutal rough, tall fescue, cant make a mistake or you are chipping out, sand and lots of it. Long and hilly, no carts, walking only (the way it should be). Mentally and physically drained by the end.

The money they have made form the opens has allowed them to keep it in gorgeous condition.

That was not always the case. I grew up 10 minutes from Bethpage. Back in the day, before automated tee time systems you would show up on a Saturday morning and there would be 2 hour waits on the 4 other courses, but only 20 minutes on the Black.

The reason was it was in such bad shape, rock hard bare tee boxes, poorly maintained greens and fairways, that it was 5 plus hours of absolute misery.

If you get to Bethpage the Black is the jewel obviously, but if you have the time play the Red as well. If the Black was not there, the Red would be getting lots of attention. The Blue is also a great track.

I figured the rough, and elevation change were part of it...we have some pretty hilly terrain here and I've walked a few of them so that wouldn't kill me I don't think. But you don't see the rough up that high (until this year that is).

Thanks for the insight. West is my next destination as far as bucket list courses go, but when we do head east I'll make it a point to play Blk, Red & Blue.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Understandable. That course just looks like a monster with the wind and the uneven lies.