• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do about our log jam of middle infielders?

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you all think we should do. Personally I'd love to lock up Elvis for 8 years @ 15-17mil per year and then see what we could get for Ian Kinsler. Personally I'd much rather have Elvis and Profar manning SS and 2nd than Profar and Kinsler. Maybe a package of Kinsler + a couple of prospect can get us a young corner outfielder to replace Josh.

I also think it's time to say goodbye to Michael Young. He's a below average defender and a below average DH who is making 16 mil a year. Even if we have to pay 12 mil of his salary to trade him we should do it.

Next year could be crazy with all the guys that are coming up and those that could leave as free agents. I really hope we win the World Series this year while we're still loaded. We'll still be loaded next years but it will be with a younger team with a lot less experience!

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would cost you more than 12 mil of his salary to trade him, and he'd have to waive his no trade clause.

Also, they just signed Ian to a 5 yr extension and that's a good thing. Not sure why everyone wants to throw Ian under the bus. He's one of the top 3 2b in the game and IMO awesome as Profar is, he probably needs one more year in AAA. I'd love to lock up Elvis reasonably before FA, but remember his agent is Boras so don't count on it. If he won't you have to consider trading him after next year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a logjam all over the IF, not just the middle. Olt and Profar present a GREAT problem to have. Moreland hasn't been too shabby either, not someone you want to bench. So we have 6 solid IF vets/prospects not including Young. I have no idea what to do with Young. Do you pay him that much to play for someone else? Olt and Profar will start in AAA next year I'm sure, and that will work but at some point you are going to have to explore a trade to clear things up.

I like the idea of trading IF for corner OF. We may need to replace Josh this offseason, so you might see a trade at that point. I'd prefer to trade Elvis, cut Young loose somehow, put Olt and Beltre at 3B/DH, Profar at SS, Ian at 1B and Moreland at 1B/DH with Olt.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay...our moderator finally logs in. Can you clean up half the threads that have been made/responded to lately/in your absence?

There are quite a few that are wayyyy off-topic. Case & point - "magic number" thread.

Thanks.

Now, on topic.... i'd love to lock up Elvis for that amount too. But I doubt it will happen. Your $$$/yr is kinda low IMO.

Elvis, Olt or Profar will be traded this winter IMO. (Olt more than likely)

Elvis/Kins middle infield next season....with Profar starting the year in AAA.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay...our moderator finally logs in. Can you clean up half the threads that have been made/responded to lately/in your absence?

There are quite a few that are wayyyy off-topic. Case & point - "magic number" thread.

Thanks.

Now, on topic.... i'd love to lock up Elvis for that amount too. But I doubt it will happen. Your $$$/yr is kinda low IMO.

Elvis, Olt or Profar will be traded this winter IMO. (Olt more than likely)

Elvis/Kins middle infield next season....with Profar starting the year in AAA.

I'm not sure I see Olt being traded. He provides depth at a position other than Profar and they didn't trade him when his value was at its highest. His value has since gone down whether you agree it should or not (I don't). They obviously have plans for him. I see Beltre as the leader of this team going forward and eventual DH with Olt eventually taking over at third. Olt also could use another year starting in AAA so it's not like Texas has to do anything this winter.

And obviously Profar isn't going anywhere.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I see Olt being traded. He provides depth at a position other than Profar and they didn't trade him when his value was at its highest. His value has since gone down whether you agree it should or not (I don't). They obviously have plans for him. I see Beltre as the leader of this team going forward and eventual DH with Olt eventually taking over at third. Olt also could use another year starting in AAA so it's not like Texas has to do anything this winter.

And obviously Profar isn't going anywhere.

I too could see Olt & Profar both in AAA next season.

Honestly, it all depends on what happens with the Josh situation.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too could see Olt & Profar both in AAA next season.

Honestly, it all depends on what happens with the Josh situation.

thought i read somewhere that that was the plan for Olt and Profar but that's contingent on the Rangers finding the quality utility infielder(s) that can cover all 4 positions. if that doesn't happen then you could see one or both on the MLB roster.

and nobody is going to take MY's contract no matter how much of the money the Rangers eat. we just need to accept the fact that MY will be a Rangers during the 2013 season and move on.

i expect that the Rangers go all in to retain Josh.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thought i read somewhere that that was the plan for Olt and Profar but that's contingent on the Rangers finding the quality utility infielder(s) that can cover all 4 positions. if that doesn't happen then you could see one or both on the MLB roster.

and nobody is going to take MY's contract no matter how much of the money the Rangers eat. we just need to accept the fact that MY will be a Rangers during the 2013 season and move on.

I hope neither are on the 25 man roster as bench players. Talk about stifling their development. They need to be playing every day plain and simple.

As for Josh, I doubt they go all in. They'll make a reasonably competitive offer, but won't mortgage the future to keep him. And they shouldn't. That's the same kind of crap Tom hicks pulled that got us in such a cluster before.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope neither are on the 25 man roster as bench players. Talk about stifling their development. They need to be playing every day plain and simple.

As for Josh, I doubt they go all in. They'll make a reasonably competitive offer, but won't mortgage the future to keep him. And they shouldn't. That's the same kind of crap Tom hicks pulled that got us in such a cluster before.

my bad for saying "all in". a reasonably competitive offer is exactly what i meant, something in the area of 7 years (last 2 team option years) at around 170M with all kinds of performance incentives involved each year.

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bad for saying "all in". a reasonably competitive offer is exactly what i meant, something in the area of 7 years (last 2 team option years) at around 170M with all kinds of performance incentives involved each year.

A lot of that 170m would have to be performance based. And 7yrs is too long for my liking. At least 7 yrs guaranteed is.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I bet those two are tied together. I bet if we do offer a TON to Josh, 2013 will have a lower number and then balloon when the MY contract comes off the books. I assume it only has one year left, will need to check.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Next year is MY's contract year. Couldn't come too soon either.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of that 170m would have to be performance based. And 7yrs is too long for my liking. At least 7 yrs guaranteed is.

as i said the last 2 would be team option years so only 5 would be guaranteed

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hopefully he announces that he is retiring after 2013 so that he Rangers won't be tempted to offer him another contract

Not sure what would tempt them to give him a new deal. Retiring would "save face" ... but then TEX loses probably its only shot at having a player with 3000H in the HOF.

Young has 2203 career hits ... 797 short of 3000 and MY's ticket for HOF consideration. He is on track to finish 2012 with 2219 (.25H/PA (his 2012 output) x 21games x 4PA/game). That means he'll need 781H going into 2013. If he has a 200H season in 2013 ... which he has done once in the past 5 seasons ... that will leave him with 2419 going into a new contract. That means he would need minimum of three more 200H seasons (he has averaged 182H/season last 5 seasons) to get to 3000H.

It is a huge deal for a team to have a player get 3000H in that team's uniform. I think TEX will let 2013 play out and see what it looks like and whether there is enough PR value to go with a new reduced cost deal ... but there is no way he gets to that number unless he's a full time player ... and that probably isn't in the cards.

Wash is running MY out there every night so the team is in the best position to decide what to do next. If they were sitting him then it could become a PR nightmare for them down the road. Much has been said that to keep the clubhouse focused Wash has put MY in the lineup daily with the perspective that teammates want to see a player get 3000H.

It all has to play out ... but its going to play out in 2013 too.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what would tempt them to give him a new deal. Retiring would "save face" ... but then TEX loses probably its only shot at having a player with 3000H in the HOF.

Young has 2203 career hits ... 797 short of 3000 and MY's ticket for HOF consideration. He is on track to finish 2012 with 2219 (.25H/PA (his 2012 output) x 21games x 4PA/game). That means he'll need 781H going into 2013. If he has a 200H season in 2013 ... which he has done once in the past 5 seasons ... that will leave him with 2419 going into a new contract. That means he would need minimum of three more 200H seasons (he has averaged 182H/season last 5 seasons) to get to 3000H.

It is a huge deal for a team to have a player get 3000H in that team's uniform. I think TEX will let 2013 play out and see what it looks like and whether there is enough PR value to go with a new reduced cost deal ... but there is no way he gets to that number unless he's a full time player ... and that probably isn't in the cards.

Wash is running MY out there every night so the team is in the best position to decide what to do next. If they were sitting him then it could become a PR nightmare for them down the road. Much has been said that to keep the clubhouse focused Wash has put MY in the lineup daily with the perspective that teammates want to see a player get 3000H.

It all has to play out ... but its going to play out in 2013 too.

don't see 3000 hits being that big a deal to the Rangers, he will move immediately into the front office and still be the face. re-signing him and using him daily will hurt the team especially if the Rangers lose out on Josh and nothing he does next year will change that. besides which 781 hits would require signing him for at least 3 years maybe as many as 5 for him to get there. he would have to average 195 hits a year to get there

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't see 3000 hits being that big a deal to the Rangers, he will move immediately into the front office and still be the face. re-signing him and using him daily will hurt the team especially if the Rangers lose out on Josh and nothing he does next year will change that. besides which 781 hits would require signing him for at least 3 years maybe as many as 5 for him to get there. he would have to average 195 hits a year to get there

TEX is going to be totally silent on MY until after 2013 is complete.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY will have willing to accept a significantly decreased role if he wants to sign another contract with Texas.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could just always cut Young, his 16 million is a sunk cost one way or the other, why not give his roster spot to someone more productive.... which wouldn't take much