• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What teams from your (AQ) conference have never been to the BCS?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't the big 10 have a rule (or had a rule) that stated when multiple teams tied for the conference crown the rose bowl tiebreaker was the team that has gone the longest without being in the rose bowl? i always thought that was a weird way to settle it.

Yeah they did. Pretty stupid. But then again, it's from the minds that brought you the "Leaders" and "Legends" division names.

:L

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
doesn't the big 10 have a rule (or had a rule) that stated when multiple teams tied for the conference crown the rose bowl tiebreaker was the team that has gone the longest without being in the rose bowl? i always thought that was a weird way to settle it.

I think that was the old rule before they went to 12 and a CCG, but if I recall correctly, Ohio State was in the MNC and the next team in the conference was 9-3 Illinois. The Rose Bowl could have taken someone else to fill in against USC, but they preserved the Pac/B1G matchup which I understand. But Illinois was sort of weak. The thought at the time was that a 10-2 ASU team would have picked up an at large had that not been the case.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was abolished about 6-7 years ago. The first team to really get hosed by that was Michigan State in 2010 when there was three teams tied for the title. We had a head to head win over Wisconsin, Wisconsin beat Ohio State, no game was played between Ohio State and Michigan State. Michigan State was one of/if not the only team that voted against ending that. Then it went to the highest rated in the BCS. Wisconsin went to the Rose and lost a tough game to a great TCU team, Ohio State went to the Sugar Bowl and beat Arkansas, and Michigan State went to the Capital One bowl and got dismantled by Alabama.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same scenario as 2011 with Michigan and Michigan State. Both had the same record, but since MSU won the reg season matchup, they went to (and lost) the CCG, leaving them behind Michigan in the rankings and Michigan got the BCS bowl. Kansas back in 07 was what you were talking about. They played 1 game vs. a decent team (Missouri) and lost, and they got to skip playing Texas and OU that year while Mizzou had to play OU twice, and ended up losing. Hope they use that as motivation this year.

Michigan State had one loss in conference Michigan had two that season. They lost @ Michigan State and @ Iowa.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State had one loss in conference Michigan had two that season. They lost @ Michigan State and @ Iowa.

Was talking about overall losses. The BCS rankings don't care if they're in conference or not.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU went to the Rose Bowl a year or so before it started, and kind of thought it was in line for an at large 5 or 6 years ago except the Rose Bowl took a 9-3 Illinois team to preserve the matchup. But yeah, there are some very respectable programs that have not made it. Hopefully we change that.

You had 1 and 2 Ohio State and LSU
USC won the Pac so got Rose
Oklahoma was Big 12 champ to Fiesta and the fiesta took WV from BE.
Sugar took UGA as they will always take a SEC team and got stuck with Hawaii
VT was ACC champ to Orange. 11-1 Kansas was a more attractive pick than 10-2 ASU

The way I see it the Rose could have picked an at large like say Missouri or Kansas
everyone wanted to see UGA vs USC but there are rules such as the Bowl losing #1 can not take a team from the conference of #2 without permission and the Sugar was not giving up the SEC.
If the Rose would have done a Big 12 team i still think the Orange goes closer to home with a 10-3 ACC runner up rather than across the country Arizona State.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if Hawaii didnt get in then yeah ASU would have got a BCS bowl.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be -

Michigan State (you're right, crazy to think that)
Indiana
Northwestern
Minnesota

I think that's it?

Nope, Northwestern was in the '96 Rose Bowl. I know, hard to fathom.

They lost to USC 41-32.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC12
Cal, ASU, AZ

Colorado and Utah havent gone as pac members, but they both have BCS appearances before they joined the pac.

the other thing about it is while those 3 missed they all barely missed
ASU 2007 shared Pac 10 champs #12 in BCS
Cal 2004 shared Pac 10 champs #5 in BCS standings
Arizona 1998 11-1 conference runner up #7 in BCS standings

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had 1 and 2 Ohio State and LSU
USC won the Pac so got Rose
Oklahoma was Big 12 champ to Fiesta and the fiesta took WV from BE.
Sugar took UGA as they will always take a SEC team and got stuck with Hawaii
VT was ACC champ to Orange. 11-1 Kansas was a more attractive pick than 10-2 ASU

The way I see it the Rose could have picked an at large like say Missouri or Kansas
everyone wanted to see UGA vs USC but there are rules such as the Bowl losing #1 can not take a team from the conference of #2 without permission and the Sugar was not giving up the SEC.
If the Rose would have done a Big 12 team i still think the Orange goes closer to home with a 10-3 ACC runner up rather than across the country Arizona State.

I don't remember the gory details. It was a while ago. I just recall hearing ASU possibly to the Fiesta Bowl.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Mine
and
2) who cares