• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What team that *could* move to L.A., *should* move?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The misconception is it has failed in the past. SMH.

Al Davis moved them only because he wanted the Coliseum fixed up. Not because he was losing money. The Raiders had no problem selling tickets in LA.

This has been explained plenty of times, but people still have it stuck in their head that LA can't support a team.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, if a team moves it should be the Raiders right now. The Bay doesn't need 2 teams right across the bridge from each other. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jaguars go to London. Maybe having some home field advantage for once will help out. The road games would be pretty rough for them unless they do them in streaks but it's not like they're competitive anyways.

They would have to do the games in "streaks" I would think. Probably 4 Home, 4 road, 4 home, 4 road or something.

London...maybe, but certainly not before LA gets another team.

I agree. As has been said any number of times, there are a number of issues with moving a team to London, but they aren't insurmountable. One of the biggest issues is where they would play, since no way do the England soccer team let them use Wembley 8 times a year, there were enough complaints after 3 games this year. I guess the Olympic stadium is possible if the idea of it going to West Ham fall through, or maybe Twickenham if they can come to an agreement with the England Rugby team.

Last edited by a moderator:

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this such an important move for the NFL when it has been unsuccessful in LA in the past? It always seems like the league can't stop trying to figure out a way to cash in on LA.

Teams left L.A. for the same reason teams left other cities. No one says Houston or Baltimore or Cleveland (two teams left there, too) couldn't support a team, but it's the cool thing to say
L.A. can't. Both teams wanted stadium deals. They got them elsewhere. That's all two teams leaving Los Angeles says.

LooseChange

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I see with moving a team to LA, such as the Rams or Jags, is the NFL fans in LA most likely already have allegiance to another team. With the Chargers, 49ers, and Raiders all in California already, adding a 4th team and saturating the area isn't guaranteed success. Especially moving a team as bad as the Jags. The only way I see the NFL moving to LA and being successful is by moving either Oakland or San Diego...and both teams are looking for new digs to play in.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah just now theres a stadium deal, an agreement with the city, funding for stadium etc..that's not all going to stick around and wait several years for a team..investors will look elsewhere to put money if no team agrees to move there in near future.

I understand what you're saying about the time frame, but investors are always after ROI...that desire will be there as long as the NFL is the nation's most popular sport because the ROI would potentially be huge...if the NFL takes a major hit in popularity...yes, all bets are off, the investors will find another place to park that money.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams or Raiders make the most sense. I think we'll see STL move back there because of their stadium situation.

As for Jax moving to London. I think that would be a big mistake. Any team moving to London fucks up travel and scheduling I just can't see it happening (even tho Goodell is a gready bastard). But if one team were to make that move it would have to be Jax as the owner already has a soccer club there (Fulham).

Sorry off topic, just think moving a team across the ocean is a big mistake. I think the games played there like this season are a mistake too. Teams should at least get a bye week coming off the London game. Futbol already dominates Europe, not football. A big complaint is how slow the game is will all the stops and commericals. Think about it, a futbol match has commericals at half time and that is it.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The issue I see with moving a team to LA, such as the Rams or Jags, is the NFL fans in LA most likely already have allegiance to another team. With the Chargers, 49ers, and Raiders all in California already, adding a 4th team and saturating the area isn't guaranteed success. Especially moving a team as bad as the Jags. The only way I see the NFL moving to LA and being successful is by moving either Oakland or San Diego...and both teams are looking for new digs to play in.

Nah, they will get their fans. Look at the Washington Nationals. The DC area went 25 years without a baseball franchise, since they moved into their new park in 2008, they average about 27,000 fans per game, and the last 3 seasons, they are averaging 31,000 per game. Not great numbers by any means, but they do attract fans.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams make the most sense. Can also see a case for the Jaguars, Chargers and Raiders.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are a ton DAL fans in San Antonio...if the Jags or some other team moved there...a high percentage of those fans would shift allegiance.

In LA...the bottom line is win...if the Jags won in LA, they would be on national TV a lot, etc...what can't happen is ANY team go to LA and for a long time.

poprocksncoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4h4 hours ago
The Oakland #Raiders have a much better chance of moving to Los Angeles this year than I realized. That possibility is very legitimate.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams move back to LA.
Instant fans. Talk NFL into putting them into the NFC South. Instantly competitive!
NFL sells the story as the "local team coming home"
KC says thank you.....

Huh? Why the F would you move them to the NFC South? And move who to the West?

If St. Louis moved to LA then all the NFC West teams would be on the West Coast (Zona is close enough) and it'd be perfect.

If history shows us anything it's that there's always crap divisions that eventually get better. NFC West was the bottom of the NFL for a few years based on SEASON record (most SBOWL appearances by a division in both conferences since 2000 even in their down years), and last year it was hands down the best. NFC South will get better again.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me the Chargers or Raiders have the best chance. Neither team would be moving a huge distance from where they are plus both teams have stadiums falling apart but cities that have pretty much said we are not building you a new stadium. Neither is hugely supported where they are right now as both struggled with selling games out. I know people talk about how big Raider Nation is but right now the fans just can't get behind how terrible they have been for years.

Throw in for the Raiders I think Al Davis' son will want to make his mark in the NFL so I could see that being the team that makes it in LA.

Also as others have said it wasn't so much that a team was not supported in LA it was more a new stadium was not supported. Throw in the NFL is bigger than ever compared to the last time LA had a team. There would be more support now than ever for an NFL team.

Also don't see the Jags as being a choice. Their owner seems a lot more set on the idea of moving the team to London than to LA. He has been obsessed with the team playing in London every year. I think he is trying to build up a fan base so when that option actually becomes reality the team will be the one to move. He is playing the long Kahn (if you get what I am going with there).

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I am wrong but I know Jax and Dallas got byes but I thought other teams that played there this year didn't get a bye coming off the London game.

Not sure on that, but I know the original idea was that every team that played in London would get a bye coming off of it.