• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What position should we draft early.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little confused. What you are talking about is trading up, not really BPA. BPA can be applied anywhere, it isn't just a reference to the guy literally at the top of your board before the draft begins. It means you set up your whole board, and then draft whoever is there when your turn comes up regardless of player position. The contrast to BPA is pick-by-need. Most teams use some kind of hybrid, and probably even we will do that this year, but there really are only a couple of positions on the Bears that would be excluded from a BPA pick on the basis of "need."

As to the idea of trading up, which is really what you are talking about here, I am way, way, way opposed to that. The general idea is that if you are a good team with few holes you trade up, if you are bad team with a thin roster you trade down. If, of course, you have the right trade partner. Which do you think describes the Bears?

For us to get him, we would have to give up at least the #7, next year's #1, and almost certainly something else (mid round pick) this year. Dude, the Bears need MORE seed corn, not less. I am sort of thinking we aren't going to do anything with #1, but if we do, I sure hope it is a trade down, not a trade up.

Good post Cali, exactly on BPA... generally you will have 2 boards- Your General "Big Board" BPA board. Regardless of position. And then have your position lists... The BEST possible outcome would be if it's the 3rd round and the BPA is one that fits a need position. BUT if you are looking at RB's and your guy you have listed as your best RB is still below your "big board" of LB's... you take the LB regardless if you have a need at LB. That is BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

Big Board rankings
1. LB X
2. OL Y
3. RB Z

Position Running Back Rankings
1. RB Z
2. RB Q
3. RB M

Take the Line Backer. Higher overall rank. Best Player Available

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you have the 7th pick.

you have a board for OT, QB, DE, LB, S, CB

What I am saying is your top choice for those 6 positions could be gone by the 7th pick.

You are settling. Your choice will probably be the guy that was projected to go. If your 1A choice at OT ends up being projected down around 20, and no other of your projected are going higher than that, then trade down is a gamble you have to take to get another possible second and still get "your" guy even though he is not your top choice.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks on grabbing a rb......You can draft a rb when it's time,it's not time yet......

These running backs that come are NFL ready.Qbs most likely are not.
I am sticking with Mariota as to whom I think we should draft and the player I would take.

We are all sick of Cutlers play and we may not have another chance at a qb for sometime.

There is always the freeagency that wr can get this defensive help that we definitely need.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks on grabbing a rb......You can draft a rb when it's time,it's not time yet......

I am sticking with Mariota as to whom I think we should draft and the player I would take.

We are all sick of Cutlers play and we may not have another chance at a qb for sometime.

There is always the freeagency that wr can get this defensive help that we definitely need.

I agree on Mariota, but not as the guy that is starting from day 1. But the way the draft works now, you are not spending 50 million for the guy to sit anymore. I just think there is too much defense with Lovie that it wont be too hard to talk him out if it.

There is talk that Jameis might be going back to school for his senior year, so only one QB will probably be going in the first round now.

I guess we will see if any stock rises at the combine again, but sometimes those throws really dont translate.

Really want to dial back on free agency, hopefully find more youngs and less houstons, allens, DJ Williams types. There have to be guys that plain dont fit in schemes out there that can go under the radar.

STLADAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me
I would go OT First round or Shaq Thompson OLB
2nd round M Golden DE Missouri who can take over for Allen

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariota will be gone by the 7th pick. He's probably going to go first overall.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Mariota, but not as the guy that is starting from day 1. But the way the draft works now, you are not spending 50 million for the guy to sit anymore. I just think there is too much defense with Lovie that it wont be too hard to talk him out if it.

There is talk that Jameis might be going back to school for his senior year, so only one QB will probably be going in the first round now.

I guess we will see if any stock rises at the combine again, but sometimes those throws really dont translate.

Really want to dial back on free agency, hopefully find more youngs and less houstons, allens, DJ Williams types. There have to be guys that plain dont fit in schemes out there that can go under the radar.

After the showing vs OSU,I`m not sure I want JW..............But the Bucs are interviewing Trestman as oc,maybe just maybe they would trade their 1st round for Cutler?....(that would be sweet).....But I think they`ll keep it theirselves for mariota.

And as far as freeagency,I`d like to see a list..............I think this is where we get our defense from and then draft possibly a wr being it sounds like Brandon Marshall will be gone.

Its definetley gonna be interesting tho.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota will be gone by the 7th pick. He's probably going to go first overall.

I`m gonna agree.............But hey,I`d love to see us trade up for him.

If we believe mariota would be next best thing,i`d be willing to trade next years no.1 and 2016`s no.1 for him.

There is always the free agency out there to get what we need..............I like free agency better than the daft anyways for atleast you know what you`re getting.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I`m gonna agree.............But hey,I`d love to see us trade up for him.

If we believe mariota would be next best thing,i`d be willing to trade next years no.1 and 2016`s no.1 for him.

There is always the free agency out there to get what we need..............I like free agency better than the daft anyways for atleast you know what you`re getting.

Wow... Dear George McCaskey, Please don't listen to fans like this. They mean well, but are completely batshit crazy.

Trading Two first round picks isn't bright when you need so much more. trading them for a borderline rookie in the worst qb draft in a long time is plaint idiotic.
free agency is waaaay to expensive a tool to build a team. And should only be used to add supplemental players.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Mariota, slightly more than I liked Bridgewater last year, but wouldn't trade up him.

nomoreshoop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're gonna suck titanic mounds of poo poo next season, so save the draft pick for Cardele Jones.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Dear George McCaskey, Please don't listen to fans like this. They mean well, but are completely batshit crazy.

Trading Two first round picks isn't bright when you need so much more. trading them for a borderline rookie in the worst qb draft in a long time is plaint idiotic.
free agency is waaaay to expensive a tool to build a team. And should only be used to add supplemental players.

Consigned. No offense to wood, but trading those first round picks could very easily be trading top ten picks for a QB who might not even play next year.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Consigned. No offense to wood, but trading those first round picks could very easily be trading top ten picks for a QB who might not even play next year.

And/or completely suck! and waste time and effort to develop to find out we have to do it again in 3 years...oh hey look it's 1992-2008 all over again!
Pace is a EIU Grad... let's trade Brandon Marshall to NE for Jimmy Garoppolo- Only QB I'd trade for.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Grappalo? A 2 inch taller Rex Grossman? Not sure if this new GM wants to give up draft picks right away considering that every position other than can use some sort of upgrading especially on defense. The trading down might be the best way to go for all involved. And yet we do not know what type of head coach we are getting but surely they would like to upgrade their side of the ball if indeed they are not of the special team variety.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No offense taken.............

But my thing is,look at what we need.......we need a leader at qb.Cutler is just not cutting it. there is a good chance we may never get this high in the draft again ........I think it would be nice to take a chance on this guy.

We all know the importance it is of having a decent qb here and we still don`t have one.(do you guys really think JC is still our best ever?)lmao,cause he never was.

are we still gonna settle for Cutler as our starter for 2016?.............I don`t,let alone 2015.
But I think he will still be here as our starter next season.

Say they fix our D this upcoming offseason,(into which I think that's the route they go)and cutler is cutler,and gets us just outside looking in........again!.......We still didn`t fix our qb situation.And MM could very well be the fix.Not saying for 2015,but hey Luck started from day one.Aaron Rodgers sat.Brady sat.Whether he sits or starts,he`d be our best bet.............Hell with 2016s draft pick or whatever we would have to give up for him.

We need a qb plain and simple....................

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how would you know?

Its a chance we need to take................:nod:

Well then get rid of free agency..................Because of every top notch player that's in there will never get signed by your thinking.

and apparently you don`t want a top tier qb............You just wanna settle for JC.The guy is a bum and NEVER will get us anywhere..............

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, he is convinced you pay a guy enough he should be top tier.

There are grumblings that Brett Hundley, who played a pro offense at UCLA, is gonna make it into the late first round. I dont know if I want to trade down 7 to get to 24 or so and get another 2nd, but he probably wont make it til our second round pick. Maybe if it includes getting next years first too.

Three first round quarterbacks is still a pretty strong draft. I would rather try that than to most probably lose Fales since someone will grab him off the practice squad and replace him with another 5 or 6 rounder.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense taken.............

But my thing is,look at what we need.......we need a leader at qb.Cutler is just not cutting it. there is a good chance we may never get this high in the draft again ........I think it would be nice to take a chance on this guy.

We all know the importance it is of having a decent qb here and we still don`t have one.(do you guys really think JC is still our best ever?)lmao,cause he never was.

are we still gonna settle for Cutler as our starter for 2016?.............I don`t,let alone 2015.
But I think he will still be here as our starter next season.

Say they fix our D this upcoming offseason,(into which I think that's the route they go)and cutler is cutler,and gets us just outside looking in........again!.......We still didn`t fix our qb situation.And MM could very well be the fix.Not saying for 2015,but hey Luck started from day one.Aaron Rodgers sat.Brady sat.Whether he sits or starts,he`d be our best bet.............Hell with 2016s draft pick or whatever we would have to give up for him.

We need a qb plain and simple....................

We'll I mostly agree with you, but there are a few things you are forgetting.

1. Cutler isn't that great of a QB, but he is still the best we have had since Jimmy Mac.
2. Cutler has gotten us to the NFC championship before. I don't think it'll happen again anytime soon, but he has.
3. Trading future firsts for Mariota just isn't going to happen. This is Pace's first chance and that's a very bold move. If Mariota fails, Pace will almost surely be canned very quickly.
4. You also listed a few great QBs today that were taken early, but there is probably even more first rounders who have failed that everybody thought would be good than have succeeded. Mariota could end up being a success, but I am not mortgaging the future of the bears on the chance.