• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What P5 conference not named 'The PAC' would take Washington

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cynical but IMHO all the conferences AND all the schools want is money. They may try to spin it in an altruistic way but anything can be rationalized.

Why would any PAC school look to move to the Big 12, B1G, SEC or ACC if not for money? No other reason makes any sense whatsoever. Why were the AAC schools trying to get into the Big 12?
Of course, it is all about money both ways. No doubt about that.

Moving from the AAC to a P5 Conference is a no-brainer for any of the AAC schools, but it might not help the Conference that takes them in the long run. That is the conclusion that the Big Xii decided when considering UC, Memphis, etc. Once the Xii could have a CCG without expanding, that scenario ended right away. No AAC schools for the Xii. Expansion will only be for big fish that might be interested.

Additionally, at some point, more money is not as important as it might seem. B1G schools don't need more money. SEC schools don't need more money. It's nice, but they don't need it. So, if they expand, it should be to make the product better. Period. Then, the money will follow.

A&M opened the State of Texas to the SEC - which is HUGE. Mizzou by themselves wouldn't move the needle but as a #2 (like you mentioned), they were a solid add: AAU school with two big markets and the only FBS school in the state that people in the state follow.

With the other conferences, it is about stability and making sure the conferences do not implode or become irrelevant. For Texas and OU this might not matter, but it does for the other schools in the Big Xii. However, from the OU and Texas point of view, if they move to the SEC or B1G, they might make more money, but will it be worth losing their cushy situation they already have?

On the other hand, if the Xii can grab a couple of Pac schools, the new schools will become more secure, make more money, and OU and Texas can make more money, get some new attractive footprint for the Xii (including the Rose Bowl!) but not lose the edge they already have. So, at some point more money might not be worth a move for either of those two particular schools, but selective expansion could be good.

As for the B1G, they make more money with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers due to TV, but it is a long run loser due to diluting a very strong product. I just don't care for that move (I've lived in 3 B1G states and follow B1G football fwiw).

So, while money is a driver, both schools and conferences need to be careful with the decision they make. More money doesn't always mean a better product. I do believe that Washington and any other Pac school that comes with them would be great for those schools and the Big Xii, but would be a death-knell for the Pac.

Last edited:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just be glad when money isn't "the" driver.

giphy.gif

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt they are necessary for a conference to exist. And I love it when one of the "non marquee" schools have success. In my neck of the woods, there are a lot of rusty cow and agnut fans that are not real satisfied with their schools performance compared to Texas Tech's recently...at least in relation to the correlation between money spent to performance. Tech grabbed headlines in Men's hoops, Baseball and Men's track on a lot less money than what their beloved universities are spending.

Answer this one 78. If you were to give the ACC, SEC, B1G, and PAC 12 the chance to poach a single school from the Big 12, would any of them choose Texas Tech first? How about K-State? TCU?

And the Big 12 isn't any different from any other conference. If the Big 12 had a their "pick of the litter" from the B1G, would Purdue be their first choice? Don't think so.
I mean the sec went for Texas a&m and missouri.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is not a merger proposal this is a Big XII hijack of the Pac12.
a merger would mean both sides made compromise.
all 10 of the Big XII remains while half the Pac 12 moves and 2 of the selections are just odd.

Id say more go old school pac 8 and call it west Big Xii figures out who they want to keep and drop and call it East.
UW
WSU
OR
OR ST
Stan
Cal
USC
UCLA

Ok
Ok ST
Texas
TT
Baylor
TCU
Kansas State
WVU

Let Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Iowa State go after some G5s and start a new conference

West
Arizona
Arizona State
San Diego State
Boise State
Nevada
Utah

East
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a merger proposal this is a Big XII hijack of the Pac12.
a merger would mean both sides made compromise.
all 10 of the Big XII remains while half the Pac 12 moves and 2 of the selections are just odd.

Id say more go old school pac 8 and call it west Big Xii figures out who they want to keep and drop and call it East.
UW
WSU
OR
OR ST
Stan
Cal
USC
UCLA

Ok
Ok ST
Texas
TT
Baylor
TCU
Kansas State
WVU

Let Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Iowa State go after some G5s and start a new conference

West
Arizona
Arizona State
San Diego State
Boise State
Nevada
Utah

East
Colorado
Kansas
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU

I'd rather the Big 12 stay as is and expand and grab AZ, ASU, Co, Utah than putting them out on the street. All for oregon st, Wazzu, ksu, and Baylor to be part of this 16 new merger?

AZ is already becoming a hot recruiting state and will only get better as people continue to move there. Atleast with Co, they have history vs Iowa St, ou, osu, ku and ksu. Utah would be a good partner with Co for a number 4 if the Big 12 can't get any SoCal schools.
WEST<<<< AZ, ASU, CO, UTes, Tech, BU, UT
EAST<<<< ou, osu, TCU, KSU,KU, ISU,WV

The conference will keep the RRS in Dallas, and keep the Battle of the Baptists between Frogs/bears. They may also schedule other permanent cross over games as well (ou/co?)

Be really interesting to see what the PAC would do in this scenario. I'd bet if something like this was in the works behind the scenes, SC would want in.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the sec went for Texas a&m and missouri.
Yep. One for money and the other to get to an even number (and a little money). And the B1G took Rutgers and Maryland. Why did they take them? It damn sure wasn't because of the historical success of their athletic programs in the Big 12, Big East or ACC.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never felt West Virginia is a good fit in the Big XII. Always seemed to me they'd be a natural playing in a conference "closer" to home. So, I'd be all in favor of taking Pac teams but I would add Stanford to the mix instead of having the red headed step child from Morgantown in the conference. Never happen, I know.

Geographically I agree, the move was a move of desperation by both parties BUT, culturally it's a good fit and it HAS worked out at least OK all things considered.
The ACC/SEC/BIG all make better sense as far as good games for TV as well as regional water cooler talk/interest when it comes to WVU.

ACC "north"

SU
Pitt
VT
UVA
UL
WVU
UNC
Duke

ACC "south"

NC State
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami
UCF
USF

would be a much better/entertaining conference than it currently sits imho. Nobody would care if Wake and BC played another CFB game TBH.

Also imho OU and WVU both would be good fits in the SEC west and east with Bama moving over to the east and Mizzu moving to the west where they SHOULD be (though they should have never been in the SEC to begin with, BIG should have nabbed them).

Is what it is though

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather the Big 12 stay as is and expand and grab AZ, ASU, Co, Utah than putting them out on the street. All for oregon st, Wazzu, ksu, and Baylor to be part of this 16 new merger?

AZ is already becoming a hot recruiting state and will only get better as people continue to move there. Atleast with Co, they have history vs Iowa St, ou, osu, ku and ksu. Utah would be a good partner with Co for a number 4 if the Big 12 can't get any SoCal schools.
WEST<<<< AZ, ASU, CO, UTes, Tech, BU, UT
EAST<<<< ou, osu, TCU, KSU,KU, ISU,WV

The conference will keep the RRS in Dallas, and keep the Battle of the Baptists between Frogs/bears. They may also schedule other permanent cross over games as well (ou/co?)

Be really interesting to see what the PAC would do in this scenario. I'd bet if something like this was in the works behind the scenes, SC would want in.
yeah but I could say the same about the Pac staying and pulling over 4 from the Big XII to get 16. OU OSU TX and TT

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but I could say the same about the Pac staying and pulling over 4 from the Big XII to get 16. OU OSU TX and TT
Yeah but that boat has sailed my man. It's either SC and UT/ou coming together to form a new conference or it's about SC joining the Big 12. UCLA, Colorado, AZ are in the red.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just see those sophisticated West Coasters when they experience Lubbock for the first time. Especially if it were one of those days after a rain. South wind blowing that wonderful aroma off the feed lots to the South of the city would be something they'd never forget!

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just see those sophisticated West Coasters when they experience Lubbock for the first time. Especially if it were one of those days after a rain. South wind blowing that wonderful aroma off the feed lots to the South of the city would be something they'd never forget!
Pullman Washington says hi.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pullman Washington says hi.
Lubbock doesn't even have a "Palouse" or however you spell it. It does have the Llano Estacado!

There is a reason the town due west of Lubbock is named Levelland and the town due north is named Plainview.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lubbock doesn't even have a "Palouse" or however you spell it. It does have the Llano Estacado!

There is a reason the town due west of Lubbock is named Levelland and the town due north is named Plainview.
I remember Rod Babers talking about how the Tech coaching staff did his OV in the night because they didn't want him to see lubbock during the day LOL

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corvallis is how far from Portland. Pullman is a farming town located in the middle of nowhere.

F7_wa1bJB0fm3wXR5JZ5XYPWaMIZJ9e5NvhI9R2yKWXDNUaZZW8a9ra9SUCILXiqB16fYywWzEKo-POVTx5gGAq7Koj28TkiKABP6q4G68JKA164eainLc7iN9Ddtm8ko1FsWllZ4FVXEQ

Oregon state used to literally be called Corvallis state Agricultural college.
Dairy Center | College of Agricultural Sciences | Oregon State University

just because OSU is "only" just over an hour away from Portland doesnt mean it isnt a cow town. its litterally surrounded by farms on 3 sides with protected green on the other. otherwise that would probably be farm too.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also pullman is no farther to Spokane which is like Washingtons second biggest city.