• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What did we learn from this Brewers series?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- good pitching beats good hitting
- Milwaukee has really good pitching
- our bullpen is good enough for the playoffs but we have one, maybe two playoff worthy starters (Webb and Gausman)
- pitching wins championships (because it shuts down good hitting)
- we aren't winning the championship this year barring a miracle even more unlikely than 2014
- no reason not to hope for that miracle though

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in all reality you have to wait until Monday to access where they are. That’s after a 10 game stretch against playoff bound teams. If we can take 2 of 3 or sweep the Dodgers we should be ok for a round or two. The Brewers though are gonna be tough to beat with that staff they have. Webb made the hitting look pretty bad the first two times through the lineup but then they started working the counts.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to forget that we took two of three in Milwaukee in early August. And before you say, "but half the team was on the COVID IL", the only noteworthy player on the COVID IL was Yelich and he was not hitting well at that point. We beat their A team. Sure, the 3 game set in Atlanta and this 4 game set at home was disappointing but this team can play against top tier teams.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We all seem to forget that we took two of three in Milwaukee in early August. And before you say, "but half the team was on the COVID IL", the only noteworthy player on the COVID IL was Yelich and he was not hitting well at that point. We beat their A team. Sure, the 3 game set in Atlanta and this 4 game set at home was disappointing but this team can play against top tier teams.
Thumbs up but let's be clear, the Brewers pitching is sick and stronger than the Giants'

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brewers pitching is probably the best in the NL followed closely by the Dodgers. The only thing wrong with the Dodgers is Kershaw being out but Scherzer has evened that out.

Our SP was GREAT for a little more than half the season ... now it is really starting to struggle.. I can't remember too many of our starters going more than 5 inning(other than Webb). Our pen is good but will mean nothing if the SP fails. We can't give any playoff tean a 5 run cushion and expect to catch them. They all have good pens as well.

As MSG said earlier ... we can't get swept by the Dodgers in this series. Losing 6 of 7 to 2 of the other NL contenders isn't how you want to approach the playoffs

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
- good pitching beats good hitting
- Milwaukee has really good pitching
- our bullpen is good enough for the playoffs but we have one, maybe two playoff worthy starters (Webb and Gausman)
- pitching wins championships (because it shuts down good hitting)
- we aren't winning the championship this year barring a miracle even more unlikely than 2014
- no reason not to hope for that miracle though
I think the Gas can is about empty though...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants hit the doldrums the last few weeks, bound to happen to every team. We've been even keel all season long.

Dogs in town even up in the standings will be an adrenaline shot in the arm. Likely the 1st sell-out series of the season. Downtown today and streets were full orange people and blue people - playful jabs exchanged.

Just like the Reverend kicked things up, I expect tonight's emotions will be similar. Lotsa this team has never experienced a pennant run - seeing how they respond will tell us a lot. I'm pumped

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Brewers pitching is probably the best in the NL followed closely by the Dodgers. The only thing wrong with the Dodgers is Kershaw being out but Scherzer has evened that out.

Our SP was GREAT for a little more than half the season ... now it is really starting to struggle.. I can't remember too many of our starters going more than 5 inning(other than Webb). Our pen is good but will mean nothing if the SP fails. We can't give any playoff tean a 5 run cushion and expect to catch them. They all have good pens as well.

As MSG said earlier ... we can't get swept by the Dodgers in this series. Losing 6 of 7 to 2 of the other NL contenders isn't how you want to approach the playoffs
Didn't the starting rotation limp pretty badly into the 2014 postseason? Of course, the big difference is that team had Bumgarner (as someone else pointed out) and this team has Webb. He's pretty good right now but is he Bumgarner in his prime good? No, at least not that we know.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we already knew?

We may be running low on quality SP & BP?

Dog days of summer definitely hit us.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we already knew?

We may be running low on quality SP & BP?

Dog days of summer definitely hit us.
I really don’t think we have anything to complain about with the bully. Maybe we don’t have the BEST closer in the game, but only 1 team has the BEST closer in the game. McGee is OK. Not great, but passable. The rest of the bully is pretty freaking awesome, though. Rogers, Garcia, Leone, Alvarez…. All quality.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don’t think we have anything to complain about with the bully. Maybe we don’t have the BEST closer in the game, but only 1 team has the BEST closer in the game. McGee is OK. Not great, but passable. The rest of the bully is pretty freaking awesome, though. Rogers, Garcia, Leone, Alvarez…. All quality.
Even tzill acknowledged, by his own measurements, that McGee is one of the best closer on teams that are in contention. Blown saves suck, but there are quite a few guys who would make us even more frustrated in that department.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure McGee is "ok." I think he's below average. As a closer.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure McGee is "ok." I think he's below average. As a closer.
So, are you saying that all but one or two closers on contending teams are below average.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistics say you're wrong there
I don't think they do. I looked at the top ten saves guys, McGee is tied for sixth. He has the lowest save conversion percentage of the ten.

Again, depends upon which metric you want to use, but I think he's below average for a closer. Solid 7th/8th inning guy but too many CPBS.