• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are the odds that Cardale Jones is the next McNabb?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why i never blame kids in any sport for coming out early

any doubt this kid was a first rounder after his performance against Oregon in the national title game?

Sure, he wasnt ready, but his stock was never gonna get much higher...If anything, last season gave scouts a larger sampling to find flaws in his game, and boy did they

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2nd round...a bit high for such a raw talent, but you're right in terms of rushing him onto the field...needs at least a yr watching.

I would say he needs at least 2 years. We are talking complete overhaul in my opinion. His mechanics need a lot of work. He relies way too much on just his pure athletic talent to throw the football. He also needs to read a defense. When teams worked to take away the deep ball from him he really struggled having to complete timing routes and having to get to his 2nd or 3rd read. That will take a lot of time. Then learning how to function just in a pro style system compared to what he ran at college. Most QB's from an Urban Meyer system have struggled in the pros. Alex Smith is probably the best of the bunch and I don't think anybody would call him a great QB in this league. Throw in he was more pro ready than Jones and still took quite a while to adjust to the NFL. So yeah I would say 2 years before you can have him set foot on the field.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a powerful arm, but is indecisive with the ball, especially under pressure and struggles with short routes.

I'm just not of the opinion that he will amount to much of an NFL talent unless he sits for a while and gets REALLY polished up.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving Cardale about 10% chance of being good. Nothing very high at all. Hundley was much better coming out last year imo.

Yeah but Bruce Arians isn't the kind of guy who wants to deal with projects.
totally different qbs

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Hundley is a project. Cardale is an athlete and college star.
oh were just going that route, were not actually talking about the style of football they play, or arm strength, mechanics, or anything

sorry about that, i didnt understand your ignorance

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh were just going that route, were not actually talking about the style of football they play, or arm strength, mechanics, or anything

sorry about that, i didnt understand your ignorance
Ok, I'll break it down for you:

Cardale Jones is nowhere close to being an NFL QB. At all. Maybe at best we are looking at Josh Freeman. A QB who doesn't like school is not someone who should get drafted. Not a leader. Not someone Id trust to read complex defenses.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'll break it down for you:

Cardale Jones is nowhere close to being an NFL QB. At all. Maybe at best we are looking at Josh Freeman. A QB who doesn't like school is not someone who should get drafted. Not a leader. Not someone Id trust to read complex defenses.
so once again, were not talking about skill, mechanics, or much of anything when comparing him to hundley. Theres actually nothing tying him to hundley. got it.

Your making a broad generalization. got it. Your also assuming you know his work ethic and leadership abilities, and how that translates to him being an NFL QB. got it. liking school?? really thats a precursor to NFL success? Anything to back up this claim? why hasnt harvard and yale pumped out NFL stars pumped out NFL stars....

Just curious? i mean some braniacs have been pretty damn QB's, bradshaw, namath, being intelligent in math does not make you a physicist. The brain can excel in some areas and suck in others.......oh wait were making generalizations

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say he needs at least 2 years. We are talking complete overhaul in my opinion. His mechanics need a lot of work. He relies way too much on just his pure athletic talent to throw the football. He also needs to read a defense. When teams worked to take away the deep ball from him he really struggled having to complete timing routes and having to get to his 2nd or 3rd read. That will take a lot of time. Then learning how to function just in a pro style system compared to what he ran at college. Most QB's from an Urban Meyer system have struggled in the pros. Alex Smith is probably the best of the bunch and I don't think anybody would call him a great QB in this league. Throw in he was more pro ready than Jones and still took quite a while to adjust to the NFL. So yeah I would say 2 years before you can have him set foot on the field.

We're on the same page...at least 1, my crude way of saying he really needs two.

I wouldn't mind Jones in PIT to be honest...I think he has more upside than Landry Jones.

But...what you said earlier is more likely to play out...a team will reach in the 2nd round and put him out there long before he's ready and he'll bust.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so once again, were not talking about skill, mechanics, or much of anything when comparing him to hundley. Theres actually nothing tying him to hundley. got it.

Your making a broad generalization. got it. Your also assuming you know his work ethic and leadership abilities, and how that translates to him being an NFL QB. got it. liking school?? really thats a precursor to NFL success? Anything to back up this claim? why hasnt harvard and yale pumped out NFL stars pumped out NFL stars....

Just curious? i mean some braniacs have been pretty damn QB's, bradshaw, namath, being intelligent in math does not make you a physicist. The brain can excel in some areas and suck in others.......oh wait were making generalizations
And you are bringing exactly zero to this conversation.

Lets try this on for size:

• Accuracy is all over the place, among the worst in the class at the most important ranges: six through 30 yards
• Accuracy is poor on passes that lead receivers, either horizontally or vertically up the field
• Does not always see underneath defenders, will make poor throws into coverage.
• Timing is not great in the pass game, often late but his arm will make up for it
• His big arm is irrelevant beyond 20 yards. Accuracy percentage of 46.9 percent ranked 17th in the draft class, but even many of his completions were underthrows with the wide receiver working back to make the play
• Last year was similar, made a lot of big plays in the passing game but many of them were Devin Smith adjusting to poorly thrown passes

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched the game against Oregon for this kid and honestly I think he has more to do than I realized. Essentially the entire game plan was screen passes, throws 30 yards down the field while he scrambled in the backfield waiting for somebody to get open, or him taking off running. I saw 2 timing routes the entire game. His style of play will get him completely killed in the NFL. He wouldn't last 6 games playing like he does in college. Yes the arm talent is impressive. I mean his ability to rocket a pass off his back foot is easily the best in this class. His ability to do something with his legs again is maybe best in this draft. That is where it stops though. The rest of it I would put him near the bottom of every list for what you want in a QB in this draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why i never blame kids in any sport for coming out early

any doubt this kid was a first rounder after his performance against Oregon in the national title game?

Sure, he wasnt ready, but his stock was never gonna get much higher...If anything, last season gave scouts a larger sampling to find flaws in his game, and boy did they

He was exactly what Meyer recruits to play QB...a big playmaking athlete that can pass a little....you won't learn anything about the pro game playing for him in college.

I'd like to see kids figure out how to manage the money better, but in terms of coming out early to get it...99% of the time...I'm for it if you're going 1st round.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was exactly what Meyer recruits to play QB...a big playmaking athlete that can pass a little....you won't learn anything about the pro game playing for him in college.

I'd like to see kids figure out how to manage the money better, but in terms of coming out early to get it...99% of the time...I'm for it if you're going 1st round.

I'm also surprised just a bit how many of these players don't think about going to teams that run closer to what a pro system would be knowing that would be huge for pro teams to see. Yes these spread systems can help put up some great stats but we are seeing more and more just how little pro teams want to invest in players coming from these style of systems especially at the QB position. Some will still get drafted because of potential but still I would think they would figure out better chance to get drafted playing more like the pros.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you are bringing exactly zero to this conversation.

Lets try this on for size:

• Accuracy is all over the place, among the worst in the class at the most important ranges: six through 30 yards
• Accuracy is poor on passes that lead receivers, either horizontally or vertically up the field
• Does not always see underneath defenders, will make poor throws into coverage.
• Timing is not great in the pass game, often late but his arm will make up for it
• His big arm is irrelevant beyond 20 yards. Accuracy percentage of 46.9 percent ranked 17th in the draft class, but even many of his completions were underthrows with the wide receiver working back to make the play
• Last year was similar, made a lot of big plays in the passing game but many of them were Devin Smith adjusting to poorly thrown passes

So still how does that compare to Hundley . You fail to see that you aren't making any xonparisons.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have gone to NDSU. He would have won those championships because they win no matter who the QB is and he's 6'5 with an arm so people would be slobbering all over him as a top 2 pick.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm also surprised just a bit how many of these players don't think about going to teams that run closer to what a pro system would be knowing that would be huge for pro teams to see. Yes these spread systems can help put up some great stats but we are seeing more and more just how little pro teams want to invest in players coming from these style of systems especially at the QB position. Some will still get drafted because of potential but still I would think they would figure out better chance to get drafted playing more like the pros.

I think the colleges are in the similar situation really stemming from HS...the coaches know they have a kid for basically 3 yrs if he's 1st rd material...to get the most out of the recruit, it makes sense to run an OFC that's somewhat familiar...and I'm seeing it at even lower levels...I live in small town north of ATL...Buford (a 1 HS town) and we've had the class 4A champion 4 or 5 times in the last 8...the JV team and middle school all run the same OFC...by the time the kids reach HS they know the OFC.

For the college QBs...imo it's up to the player...if you think you will have any chance at playing pro ball, I think you would invest in camps, or NFL QB guru training to at least get some of the basics (taking snaps under C, 3, 5, 7 step drop footwork) down long before you're drafted...soph yr.

Sadly, the window to develop NFL QBs has really shortened for a 1st round draft pick...a 2nd rd pick you get maybe 25 or 30 starts.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have gone to NDSU. He would have won those championships because they win no matter who the QB is and he's 6'5 with an arm so people would be slobbering all over him as a top 2 pick.

wow you really think the coaches are that good at NDSU They are good but not that good

you need to go look at some NDSU games the coaches are great but they also have players

winning 5 times in a row at any level requires skill and players and coaching your not giving credit 2

shame on you for blowing off that kind of solid hard work !!!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow you really think the coaches are that good at NDSU They are good but not that good

you need to go look at some NDSU games the coaches are great but they also have players

winning 5 times in a row at any level requires skill and players and coaching your not giving credit 2

shame on you for blowing off that kind of solid hard work !!!
Uhh what? What are you exactly disagreeing with? NDSU has won five championships in a row. Not that hard to play QB on a team like that.