• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

West Coast wind-down continues.....Seattle 9/19-21

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard something about Darvish which will probably surprise most of ya.

Former Dodger pitcher, Orel Hershiser, after seeing Yu pitch 6/7 games or so, compares him to Chan Ho Park in some respects.

Hershiser played with Park and he said although Park had a terrific fastball, no one could convince him to throw it; at least throw it consistently. He always considered himself a breaking-ball pitcher, and Hershiser sees similarities with Darvish. Apparently the Dodgers have all but begged Yu to depend on his fastball to no avail.

Further, Orel thinks it's not just Park/Darvish. He seems to think it's the approach the Japanese pitchers take to their craft, as opposed to American/Latin pitchers.

Pretty interesting.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Former Dodger pitcher, Orel Hershiser, after seeing Yu pitch 6/7 games or so, compares him to Chan Ho Park in some respects.

Hershiser played with Park and he said although Park had a terrific fastball, no one could convince him to throw it; at least throw it consistently. He always considered himself a breaking-ball pitcher, and Hershiser sees similarities with Darvish. Apparently the Dodgers have all but begged Yu to depend on his fastball to no avail.

Further, Orel thinks it's not just Park/Darvish. He seems to think it's the approach the Japanese pitchers take to their craft, as opposed to American/Latin pitchers.

Pretty interesting.
When you compare how each of them pitched here there seems to be very.little similarities in terms of effectiveness.

To me, Darvish did better when we let him throw more of the pitches that he used in Japan.
He also did better when not recovering from Tommy John surgery.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty interesting.

Firstly, this doesn't in any way contradict or refute your post, but Park was Korean.

Secondly - Hershiser has always been one of those guys that understood pitching more than most, so I put a lot of stock into what he says. And for my part, if there's one knock I have against Yu, it's that he would always try to be too "fancy" with his repertoire. He doesn't want to overpower you with his fastball and get you out, he wants to strike you out with a breaking ball.

I seem to recall a game where Yu absolutely dominated for 8 IP - I mean, he was money if there ever was that day - and the vast majority of his pitches were fastballs, mixed with his breaking/off-speed stuff. The coaching staff tried to use that game to impress upon him how effective/dominate he could be when he favored his fastball, but he never truly got on board.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Firstly, this doesn't in any way contradict or refute your post, but Park was Korean.

Secondly - Hershiser has always been one of those guys that understood pitching more than most, so I put a lot of stock into what he says. And for my part, if there's one knock I have against Yu, it's that he would always try to be too "fancy" with his repertoire. He doesn't want to overpower you with his fastball and get you out, he wants to strike you out with a breaking ball.

I seem to recall a game where Yu absolutely dominated for 8 IP - I mean, he was money if there ever was that day - and the vast majority of his pitches were fastballs, mixed with his breaking/off-speed stuff. The coaching staff tried to use that game to impress upon him how effective/dominate he could be when he favored his fastball, but he never truly got on board.

Ya know, I knew this about Park. And now you've pointed it out, I want to be fair to Hershiser. I believe he said Asian and I bastardize the quote with "Japanese." Sorry......

I remember the game your talking about, and if memory serves it seemed the Rangers were somewhat "frustrated" that Yu couldn't see how truly terrific his fastball is, and utilize it more in upcoming starts.

Bennie made the point of Darvish being better when throwing more of what "he wanted to throw" and from a factual standpoint, I believe this is correct. But for me, and I believe the Rangers, we thought he'd really benefit himself with fewer breaking pitches, and go deeper into the game.

Oh well.....it'll be interesting to see who chases, and what they'll offer in the off season.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bennie made the point of Darvish being better when throwing more of what "he wanted to throw" and from a factual standpoint, I believe this is correct.

That's the issue with Yu, really. There were a lot of times when he wouldn't have the "feel" of one of his pitches, so he would tuck it away and not throw it. And, of course, his apparent lack of trust or loyalty to his demonstratively awesome fastball.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, I knew this about Park. And now you've pointed it out, I want to be fair to Hershiser. I believe he said Asian and I bastardize the quote with "Japanese." Sorry......

I remember the game your talking about, and if memory serves it seemed the Rangers were somewhat "frustrated" that Yu couldn't see how truly terrific his fastball is, and utilize it more in upcoming starts.

Bennie made the point of Darvish being better when throwing more of what "he wanted to throw" and from a factual standpoint, I believe this is correct. But for me, and I believe the Rangers, we thought he'd really benefit himself with fewer breaking pitches, and go deeper into the game.

Oh well.....it'll be interesting to see who chases, and what they'll offer in the off season.
I wonder if he could get by with throwing less fastballs when he was throwing 7 or 8 pitches or whatever amount he threw that first year or two, but he cannot get by with less fastballs when throwing 3 or 4 pitches. I don't know, just pondering.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI - MIN got shellacked this afternoon. Rangers now just 3 back.
Some team can get hot and win the thing because nobody else seems to want it. The Twins and the next 5 teams below them all have losing records over the last 10 games. I do think the Yankees will dispose of whatever team finally wins that second wildcard.

I hate that MLB ever went to a two wildcard format.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives several fanbases something to get into on an annual basis. That's good for the game.
It also give several teams an excuse not to go far enough to win their division. Eventually, many in those fanbases get tired of the quick exits from the postseason and it means next to nothing to them in the future.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also give several teams an excuse not to go far enough to win their division. Eventually, many in those fanbases get tired of the quick exits from the postseason and it means next to nothing to them in the future.

I think that's applying a ton of speculation, and misjudged speculation at that. I don't see how anyone could think a team would limit what they do just to get to the Wild Card game. And anyone who finds no value in their team going to the postseason repeatedly because of "quick exits" in seasons past is not good at the whole "being a fan" thing.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It gives several fanbases something to get into on an annual basis. That's good for the game.
Better for owner's pocket book