• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well, That's One Way for Marvel to Get X-Men Back (Disney Acquisition of Fox)

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
X-2
First Class
Days of Future past

All these are great, and the first X-Men movie and The Wolverine are also pretty good, better than the first two Thor movies and the last two Iron Man. I'm fine with them remaining independent, and I'm pretty sure that Disney wouldn't have greenlighted Deadpool and Logan, even with those small budgets.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know if I like this... I LOVE the new direction Fox is taking with the X-Men franchise, with smaller and interesting movies including a Horror movie.

I'm not sure Disney would have green-lighted Logan or Deadpool, probably the two best CB movies of the last few years.

I liked Thor: Ragnarok better than both of them. Also liked Winter Soldier better as well. Logan and Deadpool were cool though.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked Thor: Ragnarok better than both of them. Also liked Winter Soldier better as well. Logan and Deadpool were cool though.

Both have their share of GREAT movies... Marvel studios have a higher batting average, but it's not like Fox has screwed up the X-Men Universe.

While I'd like some crossovers, I don't want to lose what Fox brings to the table, especially the different movies with adult themes and/or edgier comedy.

Deadpool in the MCU would be just another fast-talking G-Rated comedian... they already have enough of those.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deadpool in the MCU would be just another fast-talking G-Rated comedian... they already have enough of those.

Marvel Studios deserves more credit than that. They've been more successful than any other superhero movie studio because they generally understand the core of each lead character and adjust the movie accordingly. Guardians of the Galaxy is a very different movie in tone from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Disney can go dark when it's warranted by the character. See Jessica Jones or The Punisher for examples. They haven't had a Marvel movie (rather than TV series) that would be rated R yet, but Disney didn't have have sufficiently-popular naturally-R-rated characters to try to build a film franchise around other than Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and Punisher, all three of which weren't good choices to build around in the early years of the MCU because those characters' failed movies from the 2000s were still fresh on audience minds, and the MCU was focused on developing characters that were new to live-action film.

If/once Disney gets Deadpool, a sufficiently-popular naturally-R-rated character will finally be in their hands, and Disney's CEO Bob Iger has stated that Deadpool can remain R-rated if/when Disney acquires it.

Last edited:

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disney can go dark when it's warranted by the character. See Jessica Jones or The Punisher for examples. They haven't had a Marvel movie (rather than TV series) that would be rated R yet, but Disney didn't have have sufficiently-popular naturally-R-rated characters to try to build a film franchise around other than Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and Punisher, all three of which weren't good choices to build around in the early years of the MCU because those characters' failed movies from the 2000s were still fresh on audience minds, and the MCU was focused on developing characters that were new to live-action film.

Actually, I misremembered the rights timeline in the previous post: Disney didn't get full rights for Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and Punisher back from other studios until 2012-2013.

So Disney's options were even more limited. It wasn't just a matter of those characters not being good choices in building the early MCU; those characters were not available to Disney at all.

So it isn't that Disney is bad at or unwilling to make R-rated superhero films. It's that they didn't have good options with which to make R-rated superhero films.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marvel Studios deserves more credit than that. They've been more successful than any other superhero movie studio because they generally understand the core of each lead character and adjust the movie accordingly. Guardians of the Galaxy is a very different movie in tone from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

If/once Disney gets Deadpool, a sufficiently-popular naturally-R-rated character will finally be in their hands, and Disney's CEO Bob Iger has stated that Deadpool can remain R-rated if/when Disney acquires it.

I give Marvel a lot of credit. They've built a great universe and have produced a lot of great movies... They are so great that it's pretty difficult to select a top-10 out of the MCU movies, because you'd leave a bunch of worthy movies out.

But even if the movies differ in genre, there is a certain MCU DNA in all of them, which is basically:

1. Lots of comedy, fast talking characters.
2. All the movies have to be lighthearted and family friendly. Limit the darkness/sense of dread.
3. Keep the on-screen casualties as low as possible. The only movie with actual on screen casualties is AIW.

As an example, they hint at Stark's problems with alcoholism and anxiety, but it's never explored in a serious manner, and they even used it for some goofiness.

The only movie (and probably their best movie) that has explored dark themes and has made us face the casualties is Avengers Infinity Wars. But they finally did this after about 20 lighthearted movies. Of course NOW that Deadpool has been ridiculously successful, they are saying that they'd keep it R-Rated, but I highly doubt that they'd have taken the chance in the first place. IMO, a Disney Deadpool would have been just another Spiderman.

This is not criticism. That's their formula, and it has produced great and enjoyable results. It's just that I like having other different formulas to choose from, and I especially like Fox's approach of having vastly different movies and taking chances with different movies and lower budgets. I hope "The New Mutants" live up to its potential.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is even the point of antitrust procedures? This is exactly the kind of deal they are supposed to prevent.
Meh. Is it?

The days of the tv network are almost extinct and the days of the major movie studio are on their way out right around the corner. With streaming (both producing and distributing) becoming a bigger and bigger thing, I dont think this kind of canibalism is a bad thing.

DarthVedder

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't think of many instances in which less competition turned out to be better for consumers.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good we don't need Comcast fucking shit up. They got big because they were the only real option for people that wanted to watch television, and in doing so they rewarded their customers with shitty customer service and price gouging.