• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Will ESPN get back in the NHL broadcasting game?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Combining with Disney are 21st Century Fox’s critically acclaimed film production businesses, including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together offer diverse and compelling storytelling businesses and are the homes of Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool, as well as The Grand Budapest Hotel, Hidden Figures, Gone Girl, The Shape of Water and The Martian—and its storied television creative units, Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21, which have brought The Americans, This Is Us, Modern Family, The Simpsons and so many more hit TV series to viewers across the globe. Disney will also acquire FX Networks, National Geographic Partners, Fox Sports Regional Networks, Fox Networks Group International, Star India and Fox’s interests in Hulu, Sky plc, Tata Sky and Endemol Shine Group.

Fox has (had) the NHL regional rights for Anaheim, Arizona, Carolina, Detroit, Florida, St. Louis, Minnesota, Columbus, Dallas, Nashville, Los Angeles, Tampa Bay, Nashville. With this sale, Disney/ESPN has acquired them all according to reports.

NBC's national coverage contract ends in 2021 which might mean that ESPN will also make a huge play for the national broadcast rights in the US.

The Walt Disney Company to Acquire Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc., after Spinoff of Certain Businesses, for $52.4 Billion in Stock

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
does this mean Disneyland will have a Deadpool inspired buttplug ride ?

/asking for a friend (named comeds)

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of happy about this...I don't have Fox Sports OH, but I do have WatchESPN.

Regarding making a play for NHL coverage? I don't know when their other sports contracts end. They way overpaid for those, apparently. They might not be able to get the NHL contract....OR they might shed some of the heavier contracts, and need a cheaper sport to fill in some programming.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm kind of happy about this...I don't have Fox Sports OH, but I do have WatchESPN.

Regarding making a play for NHL coverage? I don't know when their other sports contracts end. They way overpaid for those, apparently. They might not be able to get the NHL contract....OR they might shed some of the heavier contracts, and need a cheaper sport to fill in some programming.

although the US national tv deal for hockey is much lower for NHL than the other pro leagues and the potential for large(r) US tv markets entering the league in Seattle and maybe Houston, I dont think the NHL is gonna get a massive payday from the next contract ... unless online content gets priced higher ... those days are gone me thinks with the trend to cord cutting :noidea:

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats not true and its not funny.

(let me know if you get an answer to that question)

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would have been better if Disney had picked up the Spice network and showed live NHL games on there between its other programming but scooping up the regional networks helps out those cord cutters on the watchESPN app I guess.

Disney will probably be able to scoop up a bargain basement price for the next NHL contract after lockout 4.0 now.

Clement Clement, hands of cement.

game

Hoopla Cash
$ 9.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ryan Reynolds
‏Verified account @VancityReynolds
2h2 hours ago

Apparently you can’t actually blow the Matterhorn.pic.twitter.com/2bEAAcZrUv

DRBAotWVAAA6zd0.jpg

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the only difference would be a change in name and on-screen logo and that's it... No changes in employment, directions, directives, regional boundaries, etc.

For example, instead of Fox Sports Wisconsin, it's ESPN Wisconsin. That's it. Brian Anderson and Bill Schroeder are still calling Brewers games. They're not forced to pump liberal propaganda into the telecast [typical ESPN]. They're not forced to host dumb argumentative talk shows [typical ESPN] or host non-baseball-related Disney celebrities in the booth [typical ESPN]. They're not forced to cross over into soccer highlights [typical ESPN] or keep cutting away to Yankees highlights every time Judge or Stanton hits a home run [typical ESPN]. They're not forced to merge with ESPN North so I don't get to watch some Brewers games because the Twins are on that night.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN would be a good move. Fox just doesn't do as well of a job, plus ESPN would be able to have more nationally televised games, which would be great for the fans.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN would be a good move. Fox just doesn't do as well of a job, plus ESPN would be able to have more nationally televised games, which would be great for the fans.

I don't know... I, for one, miss the comet puck! #BringBackCometPuck

image004.jpg

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DisnESPN just tossing more billions and billions around, after laying off a fuck ton of people due to shitty business decisions.

What could go wrong?

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see it. Could be a good way for ESPN to get back some of its lost glory. Sure NHL is not as big in the US as other sports but it does have a market.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although the US national tv deal for hockey is much lower for NHL than the other pro leagues and the potential for large(r) US tv markets entering the league in Seattle and maybe Houston, I dont think the NHL is gonna get a massive payday from the next contract ... unless online content gets priced higher ... those days are gone me thinks with the trend to cord cutting :noidea:
If anything I'm thinking the NHL has received the largest TV deals they'll ever receive on both sides of the border with their current agreements.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything I'm thinking the NHL has received the largest TV deals they'll ever receive on both sides of the border with their current agreements.

I agree ... and wonder where sports viewership/fandom is going to go in the near future ... as an aside, the radio execs across canada were left scratching their heads with the last ratings book that just came out ... the start of the NHL season and across the board, across canada, ratings are down almost 20 % (iirc)