• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 7 AP Poll

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They gave up 23 ppg against the 4 best teams they faced during the regular season(Ole Miss, Tenn, Bama and FSU). All of which were top 25 offenses last year. And 14 of those points were late game TD's. So they essentially gave up less than 20 ppg against 4 top 25 offenses. That's pretty damn good considering last year how inept they were offensively, especially down the stretch. Florida was a GREAT defense last year, just not quite elite. I'm not sure where you would rank them, but my guess is you'd be pretty way off base with what you're thinking.
I'd rank them top 25.

Also, in what way was Tennessee a top 25 offense? They were neither top 25 in YPG or PPG.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rank them top 25.

Also, in what way was Tennessee a top 25 offense? They were neither top 25 in YPG or PPG.

Just like I thought. Way off base.

Tennessee was a top 25 offense in efficiency. If you want to take them out of the equation that is fine it only streghtens my argument.

travis2x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a crazy year SO FAR when NU is #10 but most of us, including myself, will admit that they are definitely not the tenth best team in the nation. I mean unless there are just way too many average teams and NU is clumped into that average pile, right below the few elite teams. We have just had the benefit of an easier schedule and tons of teams in front of us losing.

I think Ole Miss should be atleast behind FSU (who they lost to) and I would probably put both of them down a few more sports. They really want to keep Arkansas ranked huh?

Who cares though? 3 more football weekends and the first CFP rankings will come out and most likely will be much different than the AP Poll that we are going by today. Especially with all the changes we will have before then.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like I thought. Way off base.

Tennessee was a top 25 offense in efficiency. If you want to take them out of the equation that is fine it only streghtens my argument.
No matter how you spin it, their defense gave up an average of 32 ppg the last 3 games of the year. That's not elite. Their only "elite" showing last year was against Ole Miss, which I've given them credit for already. My point about them standing up to the elite offenses I mentioned stands.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No matter how you spin it, their defense gave up an average of 32 ppg the last 3 games of the year. That's not elite. Their only "elite" showing last year was against Ole Miss, which I've given them credit for already. My point about them standing up to the elite offenses I mentioned stands.

I'm spinning it yet you're basing your entire opinion off of three games? Lol. That makes a hell of a lot of sense. You're just wrong about them last year. They were top 15 good last year too. Maybe even top 10. If you combine their defensive efficiency metrics it comes to 8.5.

TigersBleaux

Self-Deprecating
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,999.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a crazy year SO FAR when NU is #10 but most of us, including myself, will admit that they are definitely not the tenth best team in the nation. I mean unless there are just way too many average teams and NU is clumped into that average pile, right below the few elite teams. We have just had the benefit of an easier schedule and tons of teams in front of us losing.

I think Ole Miss should be atleast behind FSU (who they lost to) and I would probably put both of them down a few more sports. They really want to keep Arkansas ranked huh?

Who cares though? 3 more football weekends and the first CFP rankings will come out and most likely will be much different than the AP Poll that we are going by today. Especially with all the changes we will have before then.

Agreed with the FSU/ Ole Miss stuff. The notion that the average consensus is that only 13 teams are better than FSU right now is crazy to me. This is not a poll based on talent.

They have to keep arky ranked so that if Ole Miss wins they have another ranked win, and then if they lose both the teams will still be ranked.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how Ole Miss, FSU, and Oklahoma stay so high in the polls, even after two losses this early. Yeah, I realize it's a beauty contest, but still, lose two, you gotta earn your way back.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because they haven't played 3 mid majors with a combined record of 6 - 10 and two P5's that lost to mid majors? :noidea:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's because they haven't played 3 mid majors with a combined record of 6 - 10 and two P5's that lost to mid majors? :noidea:
Yeah, gotta give credit for whopping up on Wofford, Charleston Southern, and Monroe. Silly me.

VTgator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still gave up way more when facing even halfway talented offenses. They didn't get to sit back and play Mizzou, Vandy, South Carolina and the other inept offenses on their schedule before that. And yes, michigan was a good offense once they got to face Florida. They made Rudock look like Troy Aikman.

If Florida's defense was playing at it's best, I find it extremely hard to believe that Florida this year could hold OSU. Clemson, Louisville, Bama, Washington, michigan, or even Texas A&M to under 35 if those offenses are playing at their best.

Neither could Alabama, Ohio State or anyone else.

That said, I agree with your premise. As a Gator, I can freely acknowledge that thus far, we haven't played anyone with a pulse except for Tennsee, which does inflate our defensive numbers. The real scare is that in spite of playing these cupcakes, our offense is still ranked 72d in the nation.

Our schedule is uncharacteristically weak this year, and we may slither into a ten win season in spite of our issues.

As for the Michigan game last year, it wasn't so much defensive exposure as it was an extraordinarily inept offense. Can't use fatigue as an excuse, however, as Michigan was rolling from the first drive to the last...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate teams more due to personal experience than anything, not because they are "rivals" or because my family said I should. Vanderbilt is about they only team in college football that I'd never pull for. Which is sad because I was raised in Nashville practically my entire life.

which is why you probably hate them, you run into their fans all the time. I bet you don't hate Boise State. Have you ever met an actual BSU graduate in real life? :dhd:

8085sooner

Homeboard Troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU should be ranked ahead of Ole Miss

Tigity

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Totally agree.. No biggie though neither team is winning a championship sooo no worries.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
which is why you probably hate them, you run into their fans all the time. I bet you don't hate Boise State. Have you ever met an actual BSU graduate in real life? :dhd:
Well, maybe he got rejected in his application to Vandy, or lost his girl friend to the team water boy, who knows? I don't hate ATM either, and I do know a few grads, good folks. But keep working on me, I can learn.
:suds:

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how Ole Miss, FSU, and Oklahoma stay so high in the polls, even after two losses this early. Yeah, I realize it's a beauty contest, but still, lose two, you gotta earn your way back.

See above. Non-delusional FSU fans don't think we should be that high either. I said outside of the top 15 cuz of the embarrassing loss to Louisville. We should be above Ole Miss, absolutely, but not anything above 16.

CO_hawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way Iowa could of built off last year is if you made an even easier schedule than last year.

I don't get it? Iowa hasn't improved, would an easier schedule fix that?

CO_hawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa was like Nebraska is this year, just not quite as good. Benefited from a ridiculously easy schedule and still barely scraped by.

They're the same exact team.

Pretty close, but we are lacking on the O-line, and run stopping has been a problem for all but one game. Those two problems fixed and we are undefeated.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, but it seems that when Notre Dame starts to lose Notre Dame fans think they are smarter than everyone. Are they compensating?

Kelsen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,083.52
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it just me, but it seems that when Notre Dame starts to lose Notre Dame fans think they are smarter than everyone. Are they compensating?

I don't think you're wrong - but (some) Notre Dame fans think they're smarter than everyone whether Notre Dame is losing or not.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it doesn't go away." -- Philip K. Dick